PDA

View Full Version : Promotions

11-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Good luck to those in pursuit of a promotion. The process will bring out the worst and worst of people.

11-28-2006, 01:48 AM
Yes, it will bring out the worst in people...the back stabbing and the tattletailing, especially when the competition is close, like it is now..., but I dont think it brings out the worst people for the job. The people that are promoted; one have to have had an interest in being promoted and two; had to have passed the promotional test.

As a wise sage and friend once told me, after workinig on a large police department for many years, "You can either work for the arseholes or have the arseholes working for you."

12-04-2006, 04:35 AM
The first guy had it right, it will bring out the worst , and thats who will probably get promoted!, the one you dont want to work for!, but because of senority shift bids you will have to work for them! because on one else will sign up for that squad!

12-04-2006, 06:56 AM
And they wonder why people leave

12-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Any comments?

12-14-2006, 12:35 PM
It was a little surprise to see a Ofc-Sgt jump. But I think they did a solid job picking the promotions. But all the candidates were qualified in different ways. I'm pleased with it !!

12-16-2006, 03:28 AM
FIREARMS ON A CAMPUS ARE THE ONLY WAY.WITH TODAYS WORLD YOU NEED A GUN ANYWHERE YOU CAN LEGALLY HAVE ONE.I'M A SURVIOR OF 9-11 AND SPENT 6 MONTHS ON THE PILE DIGGING UP MY FELLOW BROTHERS WHO DIED.DO THE RESEARCH AT ONE POINT THE TERRORISTS WERE ALL IN THE UNITED STATES ATTENDING SCHOOLS. I'M NYCHPD RETIRED.ACTIVE STATE LEO IN FLORIDA.

12-16-2006, 06:07 AM
I think you posted on the wrong page. What are you talking about?????

12-17-2006, 03:48 AM
SORRY I WAS ON THE WRONG POST.BUT READ IT ANYWAY.THANK YOU AND STAY SAFE

12-17-2006, 05:36 AM
From what I've heard , that they chose the ones with highest arrest records to be the supervisors. We'll see how this goes with supervision, especially the Corporal choice. From what I've heard, he is on the emotionally immature side, and will f' with his subordinates. Studies show that most people leave or are unhappy with their job because of dislikead supervisors. I hope this is not the case.

12-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Good lord! there is enough of the micro-managing supervisors are already here! the exodus will happen!

12-17-2006, 09:59 AM
From what I've heard , that they chose the ones with highest arrest records to be the supervisors. We'll see how this goes with supervision, especially the Corporal choice. From what I've heard, he is on the emotionally immature side, and will f' with his subordinates. Studies show that most people leave or are unhappy with their job because of dislikead supervisors. I hope this is not the case.

How is choosing the supervisor's with high arrest rates a bad thing?????? One would think that high arrest rates would come from high proactivity which leads to setting an example for other officers. But hey your right,,,we need more supervisor's who do nothing, and don't care if you don't do a single thing all shift. Like we don't have enough of those already. The cpl. who was promoted over all the other "candidates" probably does have the most arrests. Does that make him a good supervisor? (how about giving it a chance, there is a thought) Absolutely not, but you would think that all these "candidates" would be proactive to give a positive impression. Guess not..I would rather work for a proactive supervisor who gives a damn, opposed to one that does'nt any day of the week.

12-17-2006, 05:46 PM
It seems that no matter what happens at the department some people are miserable. All the talk of people leaving because of who got promoted is silly. People come and go from the agency for all types of reasons. That?s the nature of the beast. If someone is so inclined to quit his or her job because of recent promotions then so be it. The department will not fold, it will not cease to exist, and those people that received promotions will still be supervisors. Supervisors have to learn and grow in their positions. I am still learning. I make mistakes all the time. Knowledge of the laws, department policy, common sense, ability to lead, and the ability to know when to say I was wrong or I can learn from anyone no matter what rank in my opinion makes a good supervisor. A supervisor should have a good working knowledge of the law, not just time on with the department and a good promotional test score. It was one promotional process with our new chief. There will probably be many more to come. Those that didn?t get promoted shouldn?t burn their bridges too soon.

12-18-2006, 03:00 PM
IT IS FUNNY THOUGH, I SEE THE ONES WHO DIDNT MAKE IT CONGRATULATING THE NEW SUPERVISORS, THEN AS SOON AS THEY WALK AWAY START TALKING &^% ABOUT THEM. HMMM. AND YOU WONDER WHY YOU DIDNT GET PROMOTED. LOOK IN THE MIRROR. I THINK THEY MADE GOOD CHOICES WITH ALL THE PROMOTIONS.

12-19-2006, 02:04 AM
I only know of two micro managaing supervisors in patrol.

12-21-2006, 02:59 AM
The anonymous mouse that posted above had a great post. I just wanted to add that it depends on the person in charge. Now, there is a new Chief in charge. He is looking for high arrest stats.., either for prestiege or grant money. Just face the fact....,I have seen the USF administration do a 180 degree change in what they want from officers, in an almost confusing way. It just depends on who is in charge, thats it. Who is in charge will dictate the way they want the promotions to go...get over it.

01-01-2007, 05:17 AM
Well thank the lord that one of the Corporals was not promoted to Sgt. I've heard that most people leave their job because of bad supervisors, they may have saved a few from thinking of leaving by not promoting him.

01-01-2007, 05:46 AM
The Freaking year isnt yet an hour old and the crying and *****ing starts

01-01-2007, 06:18 AM
That sounds like a praise for the New Year to me! Happy New Year!

01-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Officer's are always complaining about bad supervisors. Just to enlighten you, supervisors also complain about bad officers, and wish that some of them would leave. It's a two way street. Stop your crying and grow up!

01-05-2007, 09:25 PM
THE SH$T HAS OFFICIALLY HIT THE FAN.

01-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Your right, we should go back to a patrol division that is lazy and status quo. It is about time that things get a little shake. I have been with the agency for a long time and there is no doubt that the new supervisors will go a great job. The only one's pissed are the slackers or the passed over. Deal with it...way to go Longo !!!

01-06-2007, 01:40 AM
Right on!! Remember this. Things happen for a reason.

01-06-2007, 01:51 AM
Times are changing for the better

01-06-2007, 08:33 PM
I am very pleased at the new promotions !!!, The new supervisors are strong officers and will make very good leaders.

01-07-2007, 02:42 AM
oh shut up, you kiss ass.

01-07-2007, 04:29 AM
Just what we all need, another body off the street.

I wonder what will be next, FAO sgt? Sundome sgt?

Funny how there is obvously plenty of cash to hand out promos, but none to give any of us a raise.

01-07-2007, 07:14 AM
New Chief, total different philosophy= Clean house & make changes
Get over it.

01-19-2007, 04:38 AM
Ya, good choices in all those promotions!, be aggressive or get out ! that's what I say! Things are a changin'!

01-20-2007, 04:29 AM
Good choices I agree. But aggressive. I quess that depends on your point of view.