PDA

View Full Version : OFF DUTY GUN

11-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Hey any ideas on a of duty gun? I have been thinking about a KELTEC380??? Who has the best prices and what should I carry?? Thanks Fellas!

11-02-2006, 02:55 PM
I have a keltec 3AT an love it. Never had a problem with it. It's great for concealment and makes a good get the * away from me piece. Florida Firearms will take care of you.

11-02-2006, 04:50 PM
I've been carrying the Kel Tec P3AT (3AT is pronounced 380 - get it?) ever since they came out and I love it.

It is so light weight that you can carry it in your pants pocket and forget it is even there. (Don't carry ANYTHING else in the same pocket.)

Note that if you don't use an inside-the-pocket holster the pistol WILL eventually wear a hole in your pocket. I use the DeSantis "Nemesis" which is also lightweight (non-leather) and hides the outline of the pistol.

I originally had the Kel Tec .25 but the round is severly underpowered and is subject to jamming by "rim lock" if you use anything other than full jacketed ammo. The .380 round does not have this problem.

Note that there is a history of some Kel Tecs not operating smoothly from the factory. When you get one you should immediately fire about a box of ammo through it to see if it is reliable. If you have problems the factory will fix them right away.

11-02-2006, 08:21 PM
go to the auction sites gunbroker.com will beat any gun dealer around no matter " how good they take care of u"

11-03-2006, 12:37 AM
go to the auction sites gunbroker.com will beat any gun dealer around no matter " how good they take care of u"

Yeah, but...............

To actually take delivery of the gun you have to make arrangements with a local FFL license holder to accept the gun and do the paperwork - for which they will charge you a fee.

Some won't do it because they are just facilitating having you go around them to buy a gun and cutting into their profit margin.

You can't even bid on the gunbroker site until after you have made arrangements with a FFL holder to accept the gun.

Look before you leap.

:wink:

11-04-2006, 01:42 PM
I've been carrying the Kel Tec P3AT (3AT is pronounced 380 - get it?) ever since they came out and I love it.

It is so light weight that you can carry it in your pants pocket and forget it is even there. (Don't carry ANYTHING else in the same pocket.)

Note that if you don't use an inside-the-pocket holster the pistol WILL eventually wear a hole in your pocket. I use the DeSantis "Nemesis" which is also lightweight (non-leather) and hides the outline of the pistol.

I originally had the Kel Tec .25 but the round is severly underpowered and is subject to jamming by "rim lock" if you use anything other than full jacketed ammo. The .380 round does not have this problem.

Note that there is a history of some Kel Tecs not operating smoothly from the factory. When you get one you should immediately fire about a box of ammo through it to see if it is reliable. If you have problems the factory will fix them right away.

hey mine is not operating smoothly...do you know who I should contact?

11-04-2006, 07:52 PM

hey mine is not operating smoothly...do you know who I should contact?

The factory.

They are in Florida.

They have a web site.

Use your web browser.

Kwesi
11-07-2006, 03:44 AM
http://www.ktog.org (the P3 forum has all the info you'll need!)

I have two P3's and both have had to make the trip back to the "mother ship". The KT folks are great! They will take care of any problem and will send you xtra free parts - just ask!

1-800-515-9983, promt 3

Bill or Erica have always answered and give great service.

I would personally fire a min of 200 rounds, do their suggested minor fluff and buff and try different ammo before relying on the P3.

*** It is nothing like a Glock that will eat everything that you throw at it. Just give it the extra care that it needs.

I added the Armalaser to one and it is quite nice! I use a pocket holster from Mika's (frontier.net).

Robert Mika: 608-606-3668. He makes one that will fit the laser too!

If you shoot more than 50 rnds at a time you might find that the slide may need a little nudge at times.

I have large hands and the inside of my knuckle on my trigger finger gets really beat up.

Hope this helps!

11-11-2006, 05:15 AM
Contact B&H Gunrack www.bhgunrack.com (http://www.bhgunrack.com) in Merrit Island, FL.

For Glocks and Kel-tecs to LE they're hard to beat.

11-21-2006, 09:29 PM
I carry either a Glock model 30 in .45ACP or a S&W model 642 in .38cal. My 642 fits nicely in my pants pocket and the enclosed hammer won't snag on anything. I can't believe people are talking about how great the customer service is when they had to send not one BUT two guns back to the factory! Hello, is it just me?

11-21-2006, 10:54 PM
I carry either a Glock model 30 in .45ACP or a S&W model 642 in .38cal. My 642 fits nicely in my pants pocket and the enclosed hammer won't snag on anything. I can't believe people are talking about how great the customer service is when they had to send not one BUT two guns back to the factory! Hello, is it just me?

Yep, it's just you.

CUSTOMER SERVICE has nothing to do with the operation of the guns when they are purchased. It has to do with the SERVICE that the CUSTOMER receives AFTER PURCHASE.

So, you see, the CUSTOMER SERVICE can be great even if the gun is sub-par when it comes off the assembly line.

The fact is that the P-3AT was so popular that quality control suffered during manufacture for a while because they were selling them faster than they could make them. For that reason they had a "no questions asked" tune-up policy for any guns returned for malfunction. It was a FREE "fluff and buff." They have improved quality control, so no longer do the free fluff and buff, but will still give great CUSTOMER SERVICE if a new gun is found to be needing a tune-up.

Glock continues to be my favorite firearm, but I don't find a Model 30 to "fit nicely" into my pants pocket, which is the reason I go with the Kel Tec P-3AT. No doubt that the .45ACP has a BIG edge over the .380!

SPDCOP
11-24-2006, 01:04 AM
If any one is interested, I have a mint, barely ever used, Kel-tec 380 I would like to sell. Maybe fired fifty times. I'm an LEO down in the Sarasota area. I have rounds, case, holster, and manual. Won't be disappointed. I have pictures that I can send.

04-14-2007, 05:28 PM
If any one is interested, I have a mint, barely ever used, Kel-tec 380 I would like to sell. Maybe fired fifty times. I'm an LEO down in the Sarasota area. I have rounds, case, holster, and manual. Won't be disappointed. I have pictures that I can send.

SPDCOP, Hey do you still have your KELTEC?? I am looking and found this in a google site. I am a SSODEP

04-14-2007, 08:23 PM
I have a Kel-tec 9mm. It shoots great and I only have to have 1 size ammunition as I carry a Ruger 9mm on duty.

04-15-2007, 02:42 PM
The Kel-tec .380 is an unreliable gun that is cheaply made. I had to send mine back to the factory twice. When I am off-duty I am normally with my family, therefore I want an extremely reliable gun in case I ever have to protect me or them. A sig 232 or compact glock is the way to go.