PDA

View Full Version : Bradenton Herald

10-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Bradenton Herald wrote a Editorial on gangs and gave us no credit for what we are doing in the City.
Most of the gang violence is outside the city limits but because its named Bradenton we get the blame.
We have according to FDLE reduced violent crime 3 years in a row while crime is rising all around us. We actually have less crime than the City of Sarasota.

Seems like no matter what we do and how well we do it we will always have people with a perception that we are a crime city.

The bottom line is we have really done a good job and we should be sastified within ourselves.

Now having said that all you BPD bashers out there go ahead.

10-28-2006, 01:45 PM
I read the story.

The Bradenton Herald runs the picture it took and then talks about and then uses it for its oun purpose of spreading false information to the city residents.
New low for the Bradenton Herald.

Keep up the good work and keep the County's crime from coming into the City. Thanks

10-28-2006, 02:28 PM
and for being consistent, you get paid like it.

10-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Seems like no matter what we do and how well we do it we will always have people with a perception that we are a crime city.

The bottom line is we have really done a good job and we should be sastified within ourselves.

Does't matter what they write, keep up the good work, and stay strong

10-29-2006, 05:38 PM
I have nothing but respect for BPD. Having said that... The City of Bradenton is a cesspool of drugs, violent crime, illegal immigrants and poor people. You can slice it any way you want and you can manipulate the numbers, but those of us who live in this area know the "real deal." Again, I respect BPD, but the city has always had a bad reputation for crime --- and it always will. I guess that about 30-35 years ago, it didn't have such a bad rap, but now it does and it's here to stay. Even the drivers in Bradenton and Manatee are worse and are more aggressive.

For the last time, let me say it again: I have nothing but respect for BPD. BPD is filled with a bunch of outstanding officer -- but that's not the point.

Anyways, for those of you who work for BPD -- good job and keep up the good work and keep doing what you do best: putting bad guys in jail. :)

10-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Thats the problem--false perception.

I do not believe we do anything at all with the numbers.

The fact is the city of Sarasota has more murders, rapes, and robbery than the city of Bradenton.

How do you hide a murder? a Rape?

Bradenton may not look at nice as Sarasota may be part of the reason and we get the blame for all the crime in Bradenton that is not in the City limits.

So we have to fight perception as well as fact.

10-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Thats the problem--false perception.

I do not believe we do anything at all with the numbers.

The fact is the city of Sarasota has more murders, rapes, and robbery than the city of Bradenton.

How do you hide a murder? a .?

Bradenton may not look at nice as Sarasota may be part of the reason and we get the blame for all the crime in Bradenton that is not in the City limits.

So we have to fight perception as well as fact.The City of Sarasota might have higher numbers, but overall, Sarasota is much much safer than Bradenton -- unless you venture into Newtown (the north part of Sarasota). Most of the crime occurs in Newtown and about 80% of all the warrants for Sarasota County are all in Newtown. Newtown is our flashpoint.

However...

Real estate values are climbing in Newtown, so many of the Newtown residents are moving to... Bradenton!!!! :snicker:

10-29-2006, 06:53 PM
I have nothing but respect for BPD. Having said that... The City of Bradenton is a cesspool of drugs, violent crime, illegal immigrants and poor people. You can slice it any way you want and you can manipulate the numbers, but those of us who live in this area know the "real deal." Again, I respect BPD, but the city has always had a bad reputation for crime --- and it always will. I guess that about 30-35 years ago, it didn't have such a bad rap, but now it does and it's here to stay. Even the drivers in Bradenton and Manatee are worse and are more aggressive.

For the last time, let me say it again: I have nothing but respect for BPD. BPD is filled with a bunch of outstanding officer -- but that's not the point.

Anyways, for those of you who work for BPD -- good job and keep up the good work and keep doing what you do best: putting bad guys in jail. :)

Everday is a war, keep fighting and one by one and through time opinions, and things will change, just stay strong, and keep up the good work, most the people disrespecting BPD have given up.
Im glad some still have decided to stick it, stay strong and keep your head up, some of us see it!

10-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Ah yes Bradenton does fudge numbers. When someone breaks into a car it is a burglary not a theft. Felony, not misdemeaner. No other agencies do not does the same to hide the numbers. Ask people from MSO all the way to SSO and you will find Bradenton fudges numbers, so yes major crime looks lower than it is. This has been on going for many years and when the admin is asked why they say it has to be that way for records. I think not!

10-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Ah yes Bradenton does fudge numbers. When someone breaks into a car it is a burglary not a theft. Felony, not misdemeaner. No other agencies do not does the same to hide the numbers. Ask people from MSO all the way to SSO and you will find Bradenton fudges numbers, so yes major crime looks lower than it is. This has been on going for many years and when the admin is asked why they say it has to be that way for records. I think not!SSO started to do that, but when it was pointed out at leoaffairs.com, it came to a screeching halt. We were told that whenever anything is stolen from a carport, we were to re-classify it as a theft and not as a burglary because that would reduce the number of felonious burglaries. ;) Well, for years we've classified it as a burglary because that's what the state statute says!!!! Anyways, when this shit was "exposed" at this website, a memo came out saying that it will continue to be classified as a burglary. Sooooo I believe that BPD may fudge the numbers, but you're not the only jurisdiction who has done that. If you can bring the crime numbers down, then it becomes more attractive for:
- tourists
- new businesses to open
- home sales to increase
- it makes the police/sheriff department look efficient
- etc

IMO you should not fudge the numbers. If you can show that there IS a crime problem in Bradenton (and there IS), then you are more likely to have the city government give you the funding that you need to:
- hire more officers
- give payraises (so people will stay instead of quitting)

I think that BPD is great, but we can't minimize the crime problem in the City of Bradenton because it's really pretty bad.

Stricter enforcement of city zoning is another way to reduce crime. That will have to involve the creation of certain kinds of new zoning laws that will aide the city in maintaining properties because clean well-kept properties cause people to want to move there -- instead of moving away or scaring investors away. Why would anyone want to buy or rent a piece of property to open a new business when it's surrounding by dilapidated crappy properties??? Bad properties breed bad properties and good properties increase surrounding businesses. The process of cleaning up some of those crappy properties in Bradenton can't be done overnight and it may take AT LEAST 5 YEARS. But it has to be a partnership between city zoning, BPD and the city commission. It's a 3-legged stool and if any one leg is missing, then the stool can't stand up on it's own.

SSO

10-31-2006, 01:43 AM
Every time that someone compares BPD to other agencies they bring up the theft/burglary thing. GET OVER IT! Doesn't change the fact that all of our violent crimes are lower than yours. Whine about newtown all you want. If it's bad maybe YOUR administration should create new strategies to attack that problem. You know like new zoning laws or more officers with higher pay(don't that you already don't get paid well).

Every day I sit in squad meetings all of the signal 10's and signal 41's are either from Sarasota or MSO. Your newtown residents aren't moving from Sarasota to the City of Bradenton. They're moving to ONECO...which is way out of city limits. Ignorance is bliss and you SSO appear to be very ignorant!!!

10-31-2006, 07:55 AM
I think that you guys at BPD should also consider the fact that MSO, SSO and SPD have a much larger area to cover and more residents...So the crimes should be higher, it just makes sense. I worked for BPD for 4 years before I left for MSO, and I dont regret it one bit, but that doesnt change the fact that we all should do our part to reduce crime where ever we are..

MSO

10-31-2006, 01:37 PM
City of Bradenton 55,000 people from east of the interstate to the Island

City of Sarasota 55,000 people and not growing

look at crimes per 1,000 residents--City of Sarasota --you are more likely to be a victim than City of Bradenton

Just the facts from the State

10-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Lets not forget it takes Sarasota 200 cops to do what :) we do with 125

10-31-2006, 06:33 PM
SSO wrote that they relabled to cut down the number of felonious burglaries...I was just curious if that made them misdemeanorious burglaries :devil:

10-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Here we go again---

A burglary or a theft felony or misd it is still a part one crime for FDLE so unless Bradenton does not report it at all it still counts.
\No matter how you label it or count it Sarasota has more. That is a fact.

So Bradenton can change every felony in the city to a misd. and its not going to change crime per 1,000 residents.

10-31-2006, 06:50 PM
If we change Burglary to theft (which we don't) then we should have a huge theft number but why then is Sarasota's thefts number larger than ours?

Logic would say thefts should be more in Bradenton but that is not the case.

10-31-2006, 10:32 PM
wow, I like what I see. Way to stand up for ourselves BPD. Keep on rockin' in the free world.

11-01-2006, 01:11 AM
ok question, when you take a report when someone breaks into a car and steals a stereo how do you write it up. Ahh let me think oh I got it, A THEFT. So yes we do turn Burglaries to thefts or do you not know the Burglary statute?

11-01-2006, 01:28 AM
I don't know anyone on the Department that makes a theft report from something taken in a car.

Sounds like you and your sergeant need to read the statutes not us.e

11-01-2006, 01:36 AM
The guys I work with also make a theft from a car a Buglary. I suggest you start doing it right.

But I also agree that if you do change it to a theft it does not reduce your total crime or your crime per 1,000 residents. So there is no reason to do it unless you are trying to reduce your Burglary numbers.

And you say we do that to make it look like we have less burglary but more theft? Right....................

Like I said the guys I work with don't do it either.

11-01-2006, 02:13 AM
I don't know anyone on the Department that makes a theft report from something taken in a car.

Ok that is the way it has been for the past 10 years, but hey you know iot all. Bring it up in squad or better yet look through the reports in the press file bud.

11-01-2006, 02:14 AM
Standing order at BPD if you have no suspect it will be written as a theft.

11-01-2006, 03:47 AM
BPD = Half a.ss orginization . Thee end!!

11-01-2006, 10:17 AM

We were told we had to do it, so I don't know what shift you work or how long you've been here. It's not right, but that's what the higher ups say.

11-01-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm not a fan of BPD but what's right is right. The UCR has requirements that differ from State Statute. It is not wrong to do what they're doing by changing a vehicle burglary to a theft from a vehicle. They are following the UCR guidelines. It's not hard to figure out. Just know every state has the same laws but at the same time they are all different and the UCR makes an attempt to Uniform it, get it? Uniform Crime Report. What's strange about BPD is they base they're entire records system on UCR. It's not wrong, just different. Most agencies track State stats separately from UCR stats so they can have a realistic picture of their true crime. Most agencies rely on their records division to manage UCR so the rank and file don't worry about it. BPD chooses not to that which generates confusion. Management decision, not wrong just different. I hope I answered any questions.

11-01-2006, 10:54 PM
I asked Records and they said just about the same thing.
They say they follow the UCR Guidelines and that the State of Florida in training told them to do it that way.

I guess if we follow the directives of the State we can't really be faulted. Records also said they have written instructions from the State to list thefts from cars as thefts from cars and not burglary. So go read the instructions for yourself and lets move on.

11-02-2006, 02:10 AM
Just more evidence that Bradenton P.D. is the leader in this area. Not only can the other agencies put a dent in crime, they obviously can't follow instructions either. Go BPD GO. Ahhh...smooth as ice baby.

11-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Just because the road officers are performing functions to track UCR does not mean other agencies do it wrong. As I wrote in my original post that the records division normally handles UCR. Road deputies don't have a clue about the UCR and shouldn't need to.

Why do BPD officers take things people write here and turn them into either hateful things or my agency is better than yours crap? Learn from other places and don't assume.