PDA

View Full Version : Where Can The PBA Make Improvements Poll

10-20-2006, 04:14 AM
The purpose of this thread is for we the members of the PBA to post our thoughts on where the PBA can make improvements within it's leadership to create a unified collective membership. From reading the many recent postings on this site regarding the contract proposal misinformation, to comments made to members by our "elected union leaders there appears to be a problem, what say the members? (Please make your point professionally without trash talk etc.)
What needs to be done?

10-20-2006, 06:11 AM
in my opinion the PBA should not bargain for..........

keeping our gun when we retire

extra money for the vest

keep the safe driver at 3 yrs (you must earn it)

that could bump up the increases i believe

10-20-2006, 02:15 PM
OK, for starters

3.5 hours Court / Recall
1.0 hour/day Standby
5/5/5
750.00 bonus
All Discipline can be grieved
O'Connors health proposal

10-20-2006, 03:36 PM
That would mean I would be on stand-by almost every week. We will never get that!!!!!!

10-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Labor Law supports at least that.
If we don't ask for it, we wont get it.
Do you all have any idea what Stormwater, Radio Repair, etc
Other City Departments get for being on call/Standby
We can use that as a negotiating leverage!!!!

10-20-2006, 06:00 PM
LOOK FOLKS, WE NEED TO STAND TOGETHER...BE UNIFIED...I'M AM SO PROUD THAT WE ARE 539 STRONG. THE UNION NEEDS TO DEEPLY START A DIALOGUE ON RICHARD O'CONNORS HEALTH CARE PROPOSAL FOR RETIREMENT WITH THE CITY. THE PBA NEEDS TO " LISTEN "...AND DON'T GO OVER TO THE DARK SIDE. PLEASE KEVIN, DON'T TRY AND BRAIN WASH US THAT THIS CAN'T BE DONE. OUR PBA PRESIDENT IS SUPPOSE TO FIGHT FOR US ON BENEFIT'S, AND YOU'RE NOT DOING THE JOB. THAT MEMO THAT WAS SENT OUT, JUST BEFORE THE CONTRACT WAS A JOKE.......I HAVE LOST ALL CONFIDENCE IN YOU KEVIN...THANKS FOR NOTHING.

10-21-2006, 05:47 AM
How about getting paid 11.4 for the holidays instead of 8.0, no "bad time" for overtime when you take a vacation day or are sick. why are we penalized for taking an earned day off,that never made sense. some compensation for standby and make all of these parades overtime not allowing the city to change our days off for a non emergency event, these things are planned every year and are a big money maker for the city. these proposals will not change our base pay but will definitely help our bottom line.

10-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Can I get an AMEN on the standby compensation.

Both state and federal labor laws say that if your freedom of movement is in any way restricted on your days off, you must be compensated. The only reason they get away with this is because we ALLOW them to do it.

And since we allow them to do it, there is NO accountability at the SAO. We need the city to fight the SAO about dropping subpoenas for 2 and 3 weeks of standby on every arrest. And the only way to give the city incentive to take up the cause is to make them pay us.

Think about this...you are required to be in court within 1 hour from the call anytime you are on standby. If you live more than one half hour or so from downtown, you can't leave your house unless you bring court attire with you. And with the 2 or 3 week subpoenas, some of us are on standby 45 weeks per year.

Minimum 3 hours for ANY AND ALL subpoenas you receive!

(Negotiating tactic-most departments in Pinellas county get paid 2-3 hours for standby.)

10-21-2006, 04:56 PM

Both state and federal labor laws say that if your freedom of movement is in any way restricted on your days off, you must be compensated. The only reason they get away with this is because we ALLOW them to do it.

And since we allow them to do it, there is NO accountability at the SAO. We need the city to fight the SAO about dropping subpoenas for 2 and 3 weeks of standby on every arrest. And the only way to give the city incentive to take up the cause is to make them pay us.

Think about this...you are required to be in court within 1 hour from the call anytime you are on standby. If you live more than one half hour or so from downtown, you can't leave your house unless you bring court attire with you. And with the 2 or 3 week subpoenas, some of us are on standby 45 weeks per year.

(Negotiating tactic-most departments in Pinellas county get paid 2-3 hours for standby.)

VERY INTERESTING , thanks.

10-21-2006, 06:57 PM

AMEN!

Health Insurance and Court Standby for EVERY DAY on standby!

10-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Do we really care about keeping our gun when we retire. I agree about the pay raise, something for health benefits for when we retire...I just started and I'm already worried about it when I retire. Court hours increase is good. How about having some type of accountability for promotions...not just good test takers. There are some great officers that just don't take tests well. I know PBA started out high with raises and then city low-balled...why didn't PBA go near the amount we started with instead of settling for the 4.5, 4, 4?

10-23-2006, 07:19 AM
7-5-5, not negotiable
shift differential, 1.00, 1.25 in FY 2007, 1.50 in FY 2008
this includes any shift that is not day shift. OR cancel all shift differential since anyone can bid off nights when they put their time in and shift the money to longevity.
longevity pay: 5 years 750. 10 years 1500, 15 years 4000. stop it there. very few of us stay past 20. even less stay longer than 25, except staff cush jobs and some detectives. No cops work over 35 YRS and yet the current contract has longevity pay for 35 years. Why, because no one ever tried to fix it.
OVERTIME AT 150%, PERIOD. I DON'T CARE IF YOU ARE ON VACATION FOR 3 WEEKS. NO BAD TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KEEP MPO STATUS AS IT IS WRITTEN IN OUR CURRENT CONTRACT.
PROMOTIONS, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING PROMOTIONS. IN FACT RAISE THE MPO PAY SO CPL/DET PAY IS 7.5% ABOVE MPO PAY AND SGT PAY IS 7.5% ABOVE CPL/DET PAY. LETS FACE IT. PROMOTIONS ARE NOT FAIR. NEVER HAVE BEEN AND NEVER WILL BE. SO LET'S TIGHTEN THE DIFFERENCE WHICH DEFINITELY NEEDS ADJUSTING. 10% OF 35K IS ONE THING. 10% OF 65K IS ANOTHER. ACTUALLY IF YOU CITY STAFFERS ARE READING THIS YOU COULD SAVE MONEY BY RAISING THE STREET OFFICERS PAY AND GETTING RID OF THE DET/CPL PAY SCALE. YOU DONT NEED A CPL AND A SGT. THIS IS QUITE EVIDENT ON MANY OF THE SQUADS WHO ONLY HAVE ONE SUPERVISOR. EVERYTHING GOES JUST FINE EXCEPT OF COURSE THE ONE SUPERVISOR ACTUALLY HAS TO WORK. WHERE DOES A HURT OFFICER GO WHEN HE IS RECOVERING AND CAN'T WORK THE STREET. HE GOES TO THE DETECTIVE DIVISION AND WORKS THE PHONES WHICH IS HALF OF THE DETECTIVE JOB. IF SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME A GOOD REASON WHY DETECTIVES GET PAID MORE THAN STREET OFFICERS, I'M ALL EARS. PLEASE DO NOT EMBARRASS YOURSELF AND SAY THEY ARE THE TOP COPS OUT THERE. YOU KNOW IT'S NOT TRUE. BUT IF YOU TRULY CAN RESPOND TO THIS, I'M ALL EARS. I'M NOT SAYING DETECTIVES ARE BAD, SOME ARE GREAT GUYS AND WERE GREAT STREET OFFICERS, BUT LETS BE REAL, DD IS A CAKE WALK AND THATS WHERE YOU SEE GUYS WORKING WHO HAVE 20, 25 PLUS YEARS. ROBBERY/HOMICIDE ETC. GET PLENTY OF OVERTIME PAY AND THEY DESERVE IT.

ON A LESS CONTROVERSIAL NOTE: PAM, YOU GUYS CAN KEEP YOUR OLD WORN OUT GLOCK. THAT ACTUALLY WAS AN INSULT. WE ARE JUST STUPID COPS. WE DON'T HAVE COLLEGE EDUCATIONS LIKE YOUR CITY STAFFERS.

FINALLY, I KNOW SOME DET/CPL /SGTS WOULD DISAGREE WITH MY POST AND THAT'S GREAT. BUT MANY WILL AGREE WITH IT MOST DEFINITELY. SOME OF YOU WHO DISAGREE WILL AGREE IN A FEW DAYS WHEN ONCE AGAIN WE ARE SHOCKED BY THE PROMOTION SELECTIONS. IM OVER THAT ALREADY. HELP YOURSELF AND KEEP YOUR STRESS LEVEL DOWN. YOU CONTROL YOUR OWN STRESS. KISS AND HUG YOUR WIFE AND KIDS.