PDA

View Full Version : Group Health Insurance Myths (posted per request of Sysop)

10-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Group Health Insurance Myths by: Ray Daniels – Independent Agent

Group insurance costs less…WRONG!

Group insurance actually refers to group acceptability. No one can be turned down because of pre-existing health conditions or hazardous occupation. Consequently, group insurance costs 2 to 3 times more than comparable individual health insurance. Police officers cannot get individual health insurance but their dependents can.

It is recommended that you keep your group insurance for yourself but consider an individual plan for your dependents. For example, a 31 year old female spouse would cost $140 per month on Blue Cross Plan #3. The Humana EPO would cost $210 per month. A savings of $70 per month!

Similar savings can be achieved for child dependents. Early Retirees are better off with an individual plan of their own or a medicare supplement if they are over 65.

The following sample rates illustrate the range between Blue Cross Blue Shield’s best and least expensive individual PPO Plans #3 & #13. All rates are per month for healthy non-smokers as of 10/19/06 for Hillsborough County, Florida.

Age_____Male Plan#3_____Male Plan#13_____Female Plan#3_____Female Plan#13

1 Yr________$93____________$62_______________$89____ ___________$60

10__________49_____________33________________38___ _____________25

21__________88_____________59_______________101___ _____________67

31_________120_____________81_______________140___ _____________94

41_________153____________102_______________160___ ____________107

46_________170____________114_______________190___ ____________127

51_________206____________138_______________220___ ____________147

61_________328____________220_______________305___ ____________204

65_________Medicare Supplement Recommended @ $105 each

I represent only A-Rated companies and can assure you the best value for your health insurance dollar. Please call me or send me an email for a personalized quote.

Ray Daniels: 727-448-0909 ext 137 (or) 727-522-7811

Email: rdaniels@florida-insurance.com (or) raydaniels@verizon.net

Disclaimer - all insurance through my agency is only available to residents of Florida, USA. Actual rates and coverage are determined by medical underwriting which can take 4 to 6 weeks. Active duty police officers are un-insurable with Blue Cross and all other individual insurance companies with the exception of Aetna. Better rates and/or conditions may be available through other companies depending on the individual’s pre-existing health conditions. Maternity benefits are optional and not reflected in the above costs. Ages not reflected in the above table may be estimated by prorating the difference between the two ages. The above information is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge and subject to change without notice.

10-19-2006, 06:59 PM
You lost me at hello. Sorry, all these numbers make no sense to me. I'm just a cop.

10-19-2006, 09:24 PM
GREAT POST. KEEP US UPDATED. THE CURRENT PLANS HAVE MONOPOLIES ON US AND KICK BACKS ARE GUARANTEED.

10-19-2006, 10:01 PM
RAY, THANK YOU SIR

10-20-2006, 07:06 AM
I like that we are getting alternative information about insurance, however, the post did not address the covered benefits associated with the cost of the insurance. Paying less is always a good thing, but what kind of coverage is provided. I never minded paying my fair share, I have a problem with paying more and more every year for less and less coverage.

10-23-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't think we see all of the important factors in the original post.

Are you saying that premiums for my wife (mid-30s) and my four kids (ages 1, 3, 5 and 9) when totaled up are still cheaper than a "self and family" premium that I get through work?

I find that implausible.

In addition, there is the matter of comparing co-pays, deductibles, non-covered items (pre-existing conditions, etc.) and/or other costs. I don't think it is as clear-cut as you indicate.

Convince me.

10-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Are you saying that premiums for my wife (mid-30s) and my four kids (ages 1, 3, 5 and 9) when totaled up are still cheaper than a "self and family" premium that I get through work?

In addition, there is the matter of comparing co-pays, deductibles, non-covered items (pre-existing conditions, etc.) and/or other costs. I don't think it is as clear-cut as you indicate.

For a family of five dependants? You're one of the few people who actually is making out ahead by taking the city's plan. If you look at the numbers he posted, those are for INDIVIDUALS. That means that the officer who just has a wife who doesn't work (and is paying the same amount of money you are) will save money by going to a private, individual plan. Additional people will drive the price higher.

And obviously, you have to qualify for these plans. Pre-existing conditions will of course be looked at, but if the person in question has no pre-existing conditions, they'll be saving money by doing what is suggested.

10-29-2006, 06:54 PM

For a family of five dependants? You're one of the few people who actually is making out ahead by taking the city's plan. If you look at the numbers he posted, those are for INDIVIDUALS. That means that the officer who just has a wife who doesn't work (and is paying the same amount of money you are) will save money by going to a private, individual plan. Additional people will drive the price higher.

And obviously, you have to qualify for these plans. Pre-existing conditions will of course be looked at, but if the person in question has no pre-existing conditions, they'll be saving money by doing what is suggested.

Even a blind pig finds an acorn occasionally. Yes, "Additional people will drive the price higher." Unless you have been "fixed" there probably ARE "additional people" in your future. You shouldn't plan your entire future on the premise of remaining an "individual."

:roll:

chipdeblock
10-30-2006, 04:29 PM
I spoke with Ray Daniels (Insurance Agent) earlier today and he will try to get online today to answer some of your questions in this forum. If you are interested or have questions, it is probably best to contact Ray directly via telephone (his contact information is listed in his original post at the top of this string).

I just finished choosing the plan that we're going to use for my wife. I'm taking the City's EPO for myself which is free. I'm getting a good Blue Cross / Blue Shield PPO 100% plan for my wife for $151 p/month. We have no kids and I'll be saving $64 p/month (if I chose a family EPO) to $230 p/month (if I chose family HMO). Not bad.

Jim Preston and I realize that this option may not be a solution for everyone. We simply wanted to make the information available to you in case it can help. Ray Daniels can't give quotes for everyone in this forum, as he needs to get some personal information from you (i.e. age, smoker, etc.). I believe the City cut-off is on Nov. 2nd, so good luck!

10-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Even a blind pig finds an acorn occasionally. Yes, "Additional people will drive the price higher." Unless you have been "fixed" there probably ARE "additional people" in your future. You shouldn't plan your entire future on the premise of remaining an "individual."
:roll:

Children don't just happen. You know nine months ahead of time if you're going to have one. That's considered a life changing event and will allow you to re-enroll in the city's plan if you opt out of family coverage for the year. Additionally, having a child requires some planning. Those who want to remain individuals CAN plan their entire future on it, as it's their decision whether or not to have kids. Those officers who elect to have big families are better off under the city's plan. Those officers who elect to remain single or married without children are better off under an individual plan. Each person and family has different needs and requirements.

I'm very confused as to what your point is in your above quoted post. :?: