PDA

View Full Version : Detention

10-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Once Again the Detention department has fallen behind in pay. Jail
staffing is starting to be affected by this, in conjunction with the improved hiring standards. We'll see what the PBA and Sheriff will do to change this
if anything at all.

hillsborough start $36,900

pasco start $37,900

pinellas start $40,000 *This is actually higher than our patrol.

Any constructive thoughts

10-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Once Again the Detention department has fallen behind in pay. Jail
staffing is starting to be affected by this, in conjunction with the improved hiring standards. We'll see what the PBA and Sheriff will do to change this
if anything at all.

hillsborough start $36,900

pasco start $37,900

pinellas start $40,000 *This is actually higher than our patrol.

Any constructive thoughts

This is the kind of post that invites the usual wise-guy responses such as:

Any constructive thoughts?

1. Move.

2. Recognize that this is one of those jobs that "Americans just won't do" and hire illegal aliens to do the job.

-------------

The real answer is to make some noise, get some publicity, complain.

See if you can get a Tribune or TV station "investigative reporter" to do a story about the problem of the understaffing caused by inadequate pay. I hate to even type his name, but Daniel Ruth might write something about it.

As long as the facts are hidden from the public, nothing will change.

Clearly, if you can't fill available open positions at the current pay level then the pay level is too low. How hard is this to understand?

There is no job that "Americans won't do" if the pay level gets to the right place.

:wink:

10-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Honestly the best thing i would assume is to support the union and hope that they can get the job done, also that the sheriff is willing to and
sincerly wants what would be a fair pay for his deputy's in the jail. I can
understand that Pinellas would be slightly higher paid considering the cost of living is expensive, but with that said I imagine that hillsborough is not far behind if not equal in cola. Now pasco is a different story I'm sure that it is cheaper to live in pasco so i am confused as to why
they would be paid more. I'm also not sure of the standards that each
agency is requiring for there applicants but if they are below ours and still
pay higher than we definitely have a problem.