PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts

10-17-2006, 12:13 AM
With an upcoming PR campaign, I think there are a couple things we should keep in mind. Joe, my guess is that you, the labor board and PR committee will probably address some of these.

1) Remember, these are public forums. Some of the upcoming PR campaigns may be sensative information in a public forum. Certainly tipping off City Hall and anyone else reading. Thus, time for counter responses to be prepared.

2) REMEMBER!!!!!! We all work together here. We are all brothers & sisters. Some people may not want to participate in some areas. PLEASE, do not belittle your fellow officers. We all need to stand together and ridicule someone because their name isn't on a sign up sheet.

3) Should we even have a sign up sheet? This gives advance notice to "some" who may have other motives in mind. Perhaps simply give the date/time/contact info and ask members to show. I realize shirts, signs, etc. may have to be put together, but some may feel uncomfortable with their name on a list, yet they may want to help.

4) I have heard this from several people and checked into it. Other agencies that have been in our current position, have requested assistance from fellow LEOs in different agencies to help with PR campaigns. For example, another agency's FOP may have some of their officers sign up to alleviate any discomfort a PPD member may have.

We should utilize this if available. Also, are our volunteer firefighters & paramedics willing to help?

I know you guys are talking with other agencies that have been in our current position. Please take their advice and lets get what we deserve!!!

10-17-2006, 12:14 AM
2) REMEMBER!!!!!! We all work together here. We are all brothers & sisters. Some people may not want to participate in some areas. PLEASE, do not belittle your fellow officers. We all need to stand together and NOT ridicule someone because their name isn't on a sign up sheet.

I forgot the "not ridicule" up above in the original post.

10-17-2006, 12:55 AM
good points. we should ask other agencies to help us and not fight amongst ourselves. someone should make a website for this whole campaign. the web address can be printed on signs or fliers for people to visit.

one thing that is worth mentioning is that we should remember not to take any of this out on our citizens. they are our allies and we owe our services to them when called upon. they may end up being the biggest voice of all and especially when it comes time for another election.

also on the fop board it says to visit leoaffairs.com for more information. it should show exactly how to find the message boards by clicking the link up top then scrolling to florida/plantation. took me awhile to find this board on the web page.

10-17-2006, 02:05 AM
All good points indeed
Your Labor Board and PR Board will be meeting in the near future to discuss all these concerns and our game plan
Alot of what you have brought up has been and will be discussed
Even though the illusion that a sign up sheet or posting would alert city hall or adm.....my guess is that they already know
The Labor Board is in a 100% agreement that anyone who can help in a PR campaign is appreciated
On those lines, those of you who are unable or unwilling or do not want to place your name on a list, Nextel a Labor Board member and well slot you in....we totally understand
All of us are committed and united in this cause!!!!
As I previously have said....all of us took a sworn oath of office....some only a few months ago.......some many years ago....regardless of the time....please never forget your duty to the citizens and most of all each other.....our issues are with the city....and not with the public that we serve

10-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Morale is falling

I think we should be using other agencies help in sending our message. Especially if everyone else does it that way, why then would be the only one's not? Oh wait, we are one of the only agencies that didn't have our own attorney sit in on negotions. BTW, when FOP members from another agency heard about that, they couldn't believe we would negotiate without our own attorney present.

We are the only one's without computers anywhere around and other departments have had them for years. How sad. We must really be the laughing stock of Broward and south Florida.

We buy our own equipment. We are last in every category regarding our contract that expired. We are last on everything we do, except maybe getting tasers. And uh, white cars. I think we got rid our our browns before Ft. Lauderdale.

It is so depressing and then you throw in what the city is doing and us not having a contract. And if we get one now? Will it be 17%?

At the meeting Joe, you said "we couldn't ask for anything higher than 21% and we knew we'd have to go down" If 21% put us average and we knew we'd have to go down to negotiate, didn't our board know that we would be in last place again???

I'm sorry, we could have asked for anything. Maybe it would have been unrealistic to ask for 30%, but what if the city laughed at that and said, nope but we will give you 20%." We'd still be ahead.

If other agencies go into negotiations to try and be top or near top in the county and we know we will have to drop our numbers, why did we go fighting for average, knowing we'd go down???

Sorry to rant at you Joe, it's not personal. It's just we could have asked for anything and yes, it would have probably all been shot down.

So what are we left with during our public relations thing? Fighting for 17%? Fighting to be alittle bit higher up, although it may still be last place in 3 years?

Please tell me and fellow members that the FOP is now revisting current signed contracts with these cities and bringing our proposal back up to where we should be. Fighting to be #1, but settling to be average. Not fighting to be average and settling to be at the bottom.

10-17-2006, 11:08 PM
In response to your question about the lawyer being present, the Labor Board has been in constant contact with our labor Attorny, Mr Klausner every step of the way. Even more so now due to certain circumstances. You have 4 other members who have negotiated up to 3 seperate contracts each, and if we felt it would be beneficial or imperative. Trust me...there will be a time and place when our attorney might have to be involved.

As far as resubmitting with 20, 30%.....I cant say if that will happen. In no way am I saying we should accept their last offer....but as we always have said, we desire parity. Remember, we asked for 21% and the city first countered with 14%....a whole 7% off our bench mark....what does that tell you about the city and how it feels.....where as we gave them a realistic # to work with. I know thats not the answer some of want, and your entitiled to your opinions, but were trying to do the best for everyone in every catagory. There is so much more than just wages in this contract. We are so behind...no fault of our own, blame the city that it is a huge problem that has be dealt with. Trying to find the balance among the issues is the key and that is what we are trying to accomplish

Ill tell you what youre fighting for:
Higher wages
A decent multiplier that you dont have to wait for
A decent COLA under our terms
The city disregarding their own resolution that was passed in 2000 that HAS to include your brothers/sisiters in the DROP so they too get a COLA
Thats what were fighting for........

Irregardless of what anyone feels is to high or too low or if the COLA is more important than the multiplier, lets stand united and keep the course for the good of everyone!!!!

10-17-2006, 11:51 PM
We are the only one's without computers anywhere around and other departments have had them for years. How sad. We must really be the laughing stock of Broward and south Florida.

10-18-2006, 01:08 AM

Every time someone quotes "no computers", we lose some credibility. Go up to the 2nd floor classroom and take a look in there. The department is actively working on and configuring our new CAD system which is set to be implemented in April 2007. Please don't use this complaint anymore, it gives those across the street an opportunity to label us as whiners.

10-25-2009, 02:34 AM
Same stuff different year it's amazing ya'll. Someone get the FOP website up to date so we can start getting some real factual stuff to gossip about.

10-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Same stuff different year it's amazing ya'll. Someone get the FOP website up to date so we can start getting some real factual stuff to gossip about.
Lee what are you doing? get out of traffic and fix that site!!!!!!!

10-26-2009, 02:31 AM
Roger on that 'no one is listening' and even if they were most of us have our fingers in our ears and only listen to what we want to hear or what serves our self interest. Just say no to the 11.5 hour days, did you hear that one loud and clear, just a little self centered commentary. Peace!

[quote="SOS 2006 flashback":32ewfizc]Same stuff different year it's amazing ya'll. Someone get the FOP website up to date so we can start getting some real factual stuff to gossip about.
Lee what are you doing? get out of traffic and fix that site!!!!!!![/quote:32ewfizc]

10-26-2009, 04:42 AM
Roger on that 'no one is listening' and even if they were most of us have our fingers in our ears and only listen to what we want to hear or what serves our self interest. Just say no to the 11.5 hour days, did you hear that one loud and clear, just a little self centered commentary. Peace!

[quote="No one is listening":13n0uhqo][quote="SOS 2006 flashback":13n0uhqo]Same stuff different year it's amazing ya'll. Someone get the FOP website up to date so we can start getting some real factual stuff to gossip about.
Lee what are you doing? get out of traffic and fix that site!!!!!!![/quote:13n0uhqo][/quote:13n0uhqo]

I hate to be the announcer of bad news, but that 11.5 is comming no matter what, just like that lousy public option health care. Im no fan of either. But you young guns are the ones who put that into play, all spunk and know everything, will see how you feel 5 years down the road working those hours.

10-26-2009, 07:00 AM
I hate to be the announcer of bad news, but that 11.5 is comming no matter what, just like that lousy public option health care. Im no fan of either. But you young guns are the ones who put that into play, all spunk and know everything, will see how you feel 5 years down the road working those hours.[/quote]

Then give up your fri/sat days off so we don't need 11.5's to get a piece of the weekend.

10-26-2009, 09:13 PM
I hate to be the announcer of bad news, but that 11.5 is comming no matter what, just like that lousy public option health care. Im no fan of either. But you young guns are the ones who put that into play, all spunk and know everything, will see how you feel 5 years down the road working those hours.

Then give up your fri/sat days off so we don't need 11.5's to get a piece of the weekend.[/quote]

Heres a clue rook, EARN THOSE DAYS like the rest of us did!!!! Why dont you give up your precious 900 unit...

10-27-2009, 01:22 AM
Why would I give up anything, I'm one of the chosen, I'm a seasoned veteran with 2 years on the job, I have a new car, tons of court time, and still live at home. My bills are minimal, and I work a part time job when I'm not working for my good compensation package at work. My worries are minimal, I handle 3 calls a day, and get to complain about all the other lazy officers on my shift. You should see my personal ride it rocks. My supervisor says it's best not to call unless I have a serious problem, so I don't worry about him too often, for the most part he's on my side. All I ask for is part of the weekend, so I can work with some of the more experienced officers who set a great example of how to do more with less. On a serious note, does anyone know of any good wi-fi locations for some free air moments on the chosen shift, it gets really boring out here sometimes. Until I earn my time, I'll just sit back and watch the moon cycle over the city, easily amused I am.

Then give up your fri/sat days off so we don't need 11.5's to get a piece of the weekend.

Heres a clue rook, EARN THOSE DAYS like the rest of us did!!!! Why dont you give up your precious 900 unit...[/quote]

10-27-2009, 01:39 AM
Why would I give up anything, I'm one of the chosen, I'm a seasoned veteran with 2 years on the job, I have a new car, tons of court time, and still live at home. My bills are minimal, and I work a part time job when I'm not working for my good compensation package at work. My worries are minimal, I handle 3 calls a day, and get to complain about all the other lazy officers on my shift. You should see my personal ride it rocks. My supervisor says it's best not to call unless I have a serious problem, so I don't worry about him too often, for the most part he's on my side. All I ask for is part of the weekend, so I can work with some of the more experienced officers who set a great example of how to do more with less. On a serious note, does anyone know of any good wi-fi locations for some free air moments on the chosen shift, it gets really boring out here sometimes. Until I earn my time, I'll just sit back and watch the moon cycle over the city, easily amused I am.

Heres a clue rook, EARN THOSE DAYS like the rest of us did!!!! Why dont you give up your precious 900 unit...[/quote:mjmlzoiv]

Ah, a know it all from our seasoned members from Alpha. Hows it going there on nights. Thanks for that rant I just read, you seem to have it all wrapped up. See while your so consumed with lazy arses on your shift surfing, sounds like you need to rid the radar gun and do some good ole fanshioned patroling.... NAH! thats boring I rather just go up and down STrd 7 or the other main streets to bother the motoring public at large. Wow 2 years thats some length of time you have here, you know your just about qualified to be sgt now. Maybe some research when you get your next job like the all important clue. Gee how long will it take for me to get weekends off so I can have a social schedule, cause at this point going out and drinking with the others is way more important than making it in the real world. No I just wanna come here, biatch and biatch about what I dont have, not do my time and whine all day about what others are doing when I should be concerned what I need to do. but im sure you'll come back with your nightly wit, seems you got time on your hands watching that moon phase.
the moon phase says this smartarse.. that 11.5 you just agrred to pretty much sealed your fate as to never see daylight while at work other than maybe a detail. Have fun sport.

10-27-2009, 01:48 AM

[quote=Guest]I hate to be the announcer of bad news, but that 11.5 is comming no matter what, just like that lousy public option health care. Im no fan of either. But you young guns are the ones who put that into play, all spunk and know everything, will see how you feel 5 years down the road working those hours.

Heres a clue rook, EARN THOSE DAYS like the rest of us did!!!! Why dont you give up your precious 900 unit...[/quote:1wrjol2v][/quote:1wrjol2v]

Ah, a know it all from our seasoned members from Alpha. Hows it going there on nights. Thanks for that rant I just read, you seem to have it all wrapped up. See while your so consumed with lazy arses on your shift surfing, sounds like you need to rid the radar gun and do some good ole fanshioned patroling.... NAH! thats boring I rather just go up and down STrd 7 or the other main streets to bother the motoring public at large. Wow 2 years thats some length of time you have here, you know your just about qualified to be sgt now. Maybe some research when you get your next job like the all important clue. Gee how long will it take for me to get weekends off so I can have a social schedule, cause at this point going out and drinking with the others is way more important than making it in the real world. No I just wanna come here, biatch and biatch about what I dont have, not do my time and whine all day about what others are doing when I should be concerned what I need to do. but im sure you'll come back with your nightly wit, seems you got time on your hands watching that moon phase.
the moon phase says this smartarse.. that 11.5 you just agrred to pretty much sealed your fate as to never see daylight while at work other than maybe a detail. Have fun sport.

ps. Hows that no step pay raise feel...oh and standby.. BYE BYE!!!!
enjoy brother :)