PDA

View Full Version : great post...so i copied and pasted again

10-14-2006, 04:57 PM
I love the 'Pay Scale' that the PBA provided. What it does NOT do is to take into consideration the cost of living in the areas in question. According to policepay.net's yearly salary comparison, Jacksonville, Tallahassee and Orlando are all ranked higher than we are in terms of compensation because of the lower cost of living in those areas. In addition, I know for a fact that Orlando's pension has a 3.5% multiplier, they get more longevity pay, and Jacksonville gives up to 20% of an officer's salary for advanced degrees. This selective numbers game that the PBA is playing is also leaving out some agencies that have salaries higher than ours. For example:

Palm Beach PD - Starting pay $48,229, top out at $72,613
Coral Springs PD - Starting pay $47,498 plus a $2000 hiring bonus
Volusia County DPP - Starting pay $46,298
Pembroke Pines PD - Starting pay $45,240
Pinecrest PD - Starting pay $45,000
Davie PD - Starting pay $44,567
Miami Beach PD - Starting pay $44,542
Sunrise PD - Starting pay $44,231
Boca Raton PD - Starting pay $43,992
Miramar PD - Starting pay $43,428
Coral Gables PD - Starting pay $42,842

So, my question is why weren't these agencies with salaries higher than ours on the list???? NONE of these agencies are anywhere near as large as TPD or have a jurisdiction with as much activity as we do. In addition, many of these agencies have better pension benefits than we do.

PBA need not be selective with the agencies that they chose to show us. There are smaller departments in less active areas that make a good deal more money than we do and have better overall benefits.

The PBA tried to tell us that we can not be compared to smaller agencies, which is crap! We are ALL cops, and here at TPD we need to be compensated for the crime reduction, money surplus, & the huge cost of living increase.

Most FTO's will be voting NO, and I heard the motor squads will also be voting NO, even though they tried to throw us a bone with extra pay.

10-14-2006, 06:36 PM
7.5-6.5-6 (20% OVER 3 YEARS)

3 HOURS COURT

INCREASE IN SHIFT DIF.

INCREASE IN F.T.O. PAY

HAZARD PAY FOR MOTORS

FLOATING HOLIDAY

INCREASE IN LONGIVITY LEAVE AND PAY (250./ADD AT LEAST ONE DAY ACROSS THE BOARD).

5 YEAR MIN TO BE A F.T.O. 2 IF YOU HAVE PRIOR EXP.

5 YEAR MIN. EXPERIENCE TO TAKE THE DET/CPL TEST. 2 IF YOU HAVE PRIOR EXP.

2 YEAR MIN. EXP. AS A CPL/DET TO TAKE THE SGT. TEST

2 YEAR MIN EXP. AS A SGT. TO TAKE THE LT. TEST.

M.P.O. SENIOR CPL/SGT. REQ. CAN STAY IN THE CONTRACT.

WHY?
OFFICERS CURRENTLY HAVE THE SAME REQ. IN PLACE. A SUPERVISOR CAN RECOMMEND THAT AN OFF. NOT GET A STEP INCREASE BASED ON THEIR PERFORMANCE. HOW MANY TIMES HAS IT HAPPENED? I DON'T KNOW OF ANY.

IF YOU DO YOUR JOB, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. IF YOU DON'T DO YOUR JOB, YOUR SUPERVISOR IS GOING TO HAVE TO DO A LOT (AND I MEAN A LOT) OF DOCUMENTING, GIVE YOU A MID-POINT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT PERFORMING WELL IN CERTAIN CATEGORIES, AND IF YOU HAVEN'T SHOWN IMPROVEMENT WHEN YOUR EVALUATION COMES UP, THEN AND ONLY THEN CAN THEY JUSTIFY TAKING YOUR STRIPES AWAY.

BUDDY, IF YOU ARE THAT BAD/LAZY THAT YOU ARE GETTING SEVERAL BE'S, THEY LET YOU KNOW, AND YOU STILL DON'T MAKE ANY IMPROVEMENTS, THEN NOT ONLY SHOULD THEY TAKE YOUR STRIPES AWAY, BUT YOU SHOULDN'T EVEN BE A COP!

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ACCOUNTABILITY, THAT IS ONE THING THAT HAS BEEN MISSING IN THIS DEPT. FOR A LONG TIME.
I KNOW I CAN HEAR IT NOW: I HAVE BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT!
DOES THAT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO SIT ON YOUR AZZ THE WHOLE SHIFT? S14, S74, ETC. ETC. THAT IS A BIG 10-54.

HEY, WE HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR A WHILE, MAYBE OUR REFLEXES ARE SLOWER, AND WE DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE GETTING INTO A VEHICLE PURSUIT, OR WE HAVE GAINED SOME POUNDS, AND CAN NOT CHASE PEOPLE, BUT THAT DOESN'T GIVE US THE RIGHT TO SIT AROUND, DO NOTHING AND COLLECT A PAYCHECK.

BE SAFE, PEACE OUT!

YES, I'M A M.P.O.

P.S. UNLESS THEY GIVE US MOST OF THE STUFF THAT I HAVE LISTED, VOTE NO!

10-15-2006, 03:47 AM
Palm Beach PD - Starting pay $48,229, top out at $72,613
Coral Springs PD - Starting pay $47,498 plus a $2000 hiring bonus
Volusia County DPP - Starting pay $46,298
Pembroke Pines PD - Starting pay $45,240
Pinecrest PD - Starting pay $45,000
Davie PD - Starting pay $44,567
Miami Beach PD - Starting pay $44,542
Sunrise PD - Starting pay $44,231
Boca Raton PD - Starting pay $43,992
Miramar PD - Starting pay $43,428
Coral Gables PD - Starting pay $42,842

The price of a house in those areas is about 30-50% more than our area. My friend lives in a house comparable to mine in south Florida. I pay $1200.00 a year for home insurance, he pays $5,000.00. So it looks like you like to play the number games as well.

10-15-2006, 09:34 AM
The price of a house in those areas is about 30-50% more than our area. My friend lives in a house comparable to mine in south Florida. I pay $1200.00 a year for home insurance, he pays $5,000.00. So it looks like you like to play the number games as well.

No bro, I'm not playing the numbers game. I'm the person who originally posted that list in the other thread. I don't think that the PBA should have even published such a list, as there are many, many things other than base salary that need to be considered with a total compensation package. Among other things, there's overtime compensation, pension multipliers/contributions, healthcare costs, and incentive pay to consider. Yes, cost of living is one of the many things that needs to be considered as well.

I did, however, have a point in posting that list of all the other agencies that make more money than we do. The PBA decided to publish a list of agencies that have lower salaries than we do. If they had kept that list to agencies in a 50-60 mile radius, I probably would have done nothing. However, the PBA included agencies in Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade Counties on THEIR list. The only thing is that they only included those agencies that pay LESS than TPD! No mention from the PBA of Palm Beach PD or any of those other agencies that pay substantially MORE than we do. I do not feel it is accurate to compare agencies in South Florida to us, since their cost of living is obviously greater than ours. That said, I only brought up those agencies after the PBA decided to compare our pay to agencies in that area. I cannot speak of their intentions in publishing that list, however it is downright misleading to purposely leave agencies off the list that pay more than TPD.

When I asked a PBA rep why agencies that trump us in pay weren't on the list, he told me that the intent of that list was to compare 'similar sized' agencies. Even so, Lakeland and Sarasota were still on it, and they have far less officers than we do.

And for the record, I think our proposed contract is a fair one, and I'm going to be voting for it. My purpose for posting that list of other agencies wasn't to give the 'no voters' more ammunition, it was to let people know that the PBA's list doesn't tell the whole story.

10-20-2006, 02:29 PM
I totally agree with the five year minium to be an FTO. There are a few FTOs in D2 that have no business being there. I think they should be selected individuals. But I agree they should get a more monthly raise on being an FTO. D1 and D3 FTOs you rock

10-20-2006, 10:38 PM
I totally agree with the five year minium to be an FTO. There are a few FTOs in D2 that have no business being there. I think they should be selected individuals. But I agree they should get a more monthly raise on being an FTO. D1 and D3 FTOs you rock

Being an FTO is a thankless job, and even $230 a month doesn't really cut it. That's why you have VERY few senior officers who are FTOs. Even with the raise in FTO pay, they are still having trouble filling the D2 FTO squad for next year. People aren't lining up to be FTOs.

If you want a five year minimum, you're going to have to do something to get those people to ask to be on the squads. The only FTO squad with real experienced officers is in D1, and that has more to do with the shift, area, and supervisor than being an FTO.

10-21-2006, 01:14 AM
THEY NEED TO GO BACK TO HOW IT WAS DONE IN THE PAST. YOU HAD 1 OR 2 ROOKIES ASSIGNED TO THEIR PERMANENT SQUAD. ALTHOUGH THE ROOKIES WERE ASSIGNED F.T.O.'S WITHIN THE SQUAD, THE ENTIRE SQUAD TOOK ON THE RESPONSIBILITY OF LOOKING OUT FOR AND TRAINING THE ROOKIE. YEAH, WE ALSO GAVE THEM A HARD TIME!

I HAVE SEEN SEVERAL F.T.E.P.'S IN PLACE, AND MY LEAST FAVORITE IS THE CURRENT ONE BEING USED. GOING BACK TO THE OLD SYSTEM WOULD ALLOW THE ROOKIES TO BE TRAINED BY SENIOR OFFICERS, AND AT THE SAME TIME WOULD ALLOW THE SENIOR OFFICERS TO WORK THE SHIFT THAT THEY WANT TO WORK.

I KNOW SEVERAL SENIOR DAY SHIFT GUYS THAT ARE WILLING TO TRAIN IF THE ROOKIES WERE ASSIGNED TO THEIR SQUAD, BUT ARE UNWILLING TO GIVE UP THEIR DAY SHIFT SLOT (MORE NORMAL LIFE, HEALTHIER LIFE STYLE, ETC.) FOR $230. ITS NOT WORTH IT!