PDA

View Full Version : Contract

10-14-2006, 06:03 AM
What happens after a vote of NO?

City and PBA meet and try to come to an agreement:
If no agreement is met, they go to a mediator, not an arbitrator.
If they don't agree then it goes to city council.
The council can only do a 1-year contract.
They can agree with the city and give no more or they can give you that magic 5% I keep hearing, however the council can only approve a 1-year contract. So you get a 1/2 percent more increase this year ($12.50) a check to take you to 5%, and we start all over next year on the remaining 2 years and hope the cities finances are in great shape then.

Currently the city has 1 billion dollars in debt, 70% of the new construction are in CRA areas, thus property taxes can only be spent on infrastructure, etc, The housing market is taking a dump, and you don’t know what the market is going to be like next year. Its not worth it to me for a ½ or 1 % increase we may or may not get over 3 years.

If you’re maxed out (MPO) you’re getting a 4.5%, 4%, and 4%. If you still have steps to go your getting an 8.7%, 8.2%, and 8.2% with your step increases.

If this goes to city council two of our biggest supporters will be gone, Ferlita and White (running for county). Miller will have to excuse her self due to a conflict. That leaves us with Dilfinger who voted against us on our pension and the other guy who is pushing all the tax cuts.

10-14-2006, 06:20 AM
They added at the meeting that the wording would be changed on the promotional process/ testing. You will be able to take the test, no matter how long you are in grade and will be placed on the eligible list upon completion of 1 year in grade, but cannot get promoted twice off the same list. I.e. if you make detective this month you can take the next Sgt test and will be added to the list after a year in that rank.

That was the intention and both the city and PBA have agreed to the new wording. It should be on roll call boards and the PBA site before the vote.

10-15-2006, 04:48 AM
Housing market in a slump? Get real. Stop reading headlines. The local real estate market is in a much needed correction. Housing prices have doubled and tripled, some areas even had greater increases. No local tax bill has decreased even with tax RATE reductions.

12.5 % is a joke.

10-15-2006, 05:44 AM
house prices are dropping like crazy...In fact its a nose dive...Just look in the paper, they are so desperate they are paying your bills the first year and throwing in new cars...I guess they just decided to be extra nice....