PDA

View Full Version : vacations.

10-09-2006, 06:20 AM
I am a new employee at lol and I have a question. I was wondering how it is fair that I have to bid for my vacation days with Sergeants and Corporals? It is plainly obvious they have access to the roster and have the power to deny you a day off, then take the day for themselves. Considering the fact, I am just a line Deputy and not in a supervisory position, how can this be. If a supervisor is not at work. I can not fill their position and if I wasn't at work it is highly unlikely a supervisor would fill mine. It seems to me, the supervisors should have their roster and line Deputy's should have theirs. It doesn't make any sense that we should have to bid for the same days off. The only thing I can think of is that the powers that be, don't want to fork out the money!! I believe This is one of the things that should be addressed by the union. It is hard enough to get a day off without having it taken from you by a supervisor.

10-09-2006, 08:16 AM
District one works this way. We are supposed to operate with a certain number of deputies at a minimum. Vacation days are first come first served and can not fall below minimum staffing. It would make no sense to have someone come in to work overtime hours to accomodate vacation days off to the point a platoon falls below minimum staffing levels. Therefore, some people will need to adjust vacations. Many sergeants will tweak the schedule to make things as fair as possible. I have seen some grant vacation days off on a couple days notice even though policy states the request for vacation time should be submitted with at least two weeks notice. Also, there is no reason we can not swap work days with someone from the other side of the schedule when we are in a pinch. If a supervisor is continually denying vacation, or bumping someone's vacation to allow someone else the time, ask the supervisor why. If you don't get an answer, ask them to allow you to speak to the next level of supervisor and go from there. Afterwards, you have the ability to file an informal grievance.

10-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Considering we all bid at the beginning of a cycle and all put in for our vacation at the same time just doesn't hold up on your implication, plus the Lieutenant must aprove the the time taken. But I do agree that it is not reasonable, but it is the system we work under.

10-10-2006, 02:33 AM
If you started after the bid--you probably aren't aware. When we bid we place a vaction slip in also. Its normally for a maximum of 10 days, and is approved by seniority first(no matter what your rank). After that initial vacation bid--it is on a first come, first serve basis. I don't agree that we should be included in with Sargeants either--They don't cover a housing post if I'm not there, and I can't be a supervisor for them. But alas the powers that be decided that was the way they wanted it done--Perhaps that is something to discuss with our union rep. If you need a vacation day approved for something once in a lifetime sort of thing( weddings, graduations, etc.)--you need to talk to the Lt about getting it approved. I've got some seniority and there have been a few days I wasn't approved because someone on probation had something approved.
Be Safe all!

10-10-2006, 03:15 AM
Considering we all bid at the beginning of a cycle and all put in for our vacation at the same time just doesn't hold up on your implication, plus the Lieutenant must aprove the the time taken. But I do agree that it is not reasonable, but it is the system we work under.

Really? we all put in for vacation at the same time? You are either full of $hit, or are a liar. Vacation requests come in all the time and all someone needs to do is look in the red book and decide when they want off. Quit your BS whining you cry baby!

10-10-2006, 09:54 PM
I don't agree that we should be included in with Sargeants either--They don't cover a housing post if I'm not there, and I can't be a supervisor for them.

OK, its like this,
If a SGT. is on va, the Cpl. fills in.
The Cpl. post then needs to be filled with overtime.
This is why we are on the same va list.
The LT. is not on our va. list because other LT's will fill in for them.

And Yes, You can be a supervisor for them.
Last week Deputy Peabody was acting Sgt. and did a good job!

And if you worked here several years ago, before the "NO OVERTIME FOR SGT. RULE" many times the Sgt. would work a post. Now they can only work overtime as a supervisor.

10-10-2006, 10:42 PM

Really? we all put in for vacation at the same time? You are either full of $hit, or are a liar. Vacation requests come in all the time and all someone needs to do is look in the red book and decide when they want off. Quit your BS whining you cry baby!

OK guest you really should read and stop looking like a dumb arse we do put our vacation in at the same time at the beginning of the bid cycle, I am sorry that you have no time in and must not be able to get any vacation, but as I also stated and you did not read either I do not agree with the system in which we work under currently. I am not a liar and neither full of sh$t but you wont believe that and if you read and reply according to the comment I made your statement does not fit. I am not the one whining, but based on you inability to read this board it won't matter what anyone says you won't read nor believe anything.

10-11-2006, 02:02 AM
too many new guys crying here. do your time like the rest of us did and shut your mouths till you do. these things are the same in any and every agency. when you do put your time in we probably wont see you on here complaining about this same issue, you will be thankful that you have dibs over the new employees, and rightfully so, you will have earned it.