PDA

View Full Version : Academy

10-07-2006, 07:16 PM
I am about to go through the police academy at the Saint Petersburg college, and I would like as much advice as possible. What should I expect? It’s my understanding that out of 32 recruits, about 10 drop/fail. Is this mostly because of bad attitudes and lack of physical fitness? Should I get a 19 or a 17 glock firearm? How are the exams each week structured? Are the instructors there to assist, help, and guide the students, or are they known to be unhelpful. Do they do PT at the end of the day, and do all the students take showers (I was told they have showers there, a bit odd?). Where will I be trained to use my firearm? If anyone could answer any of these questions, please do. I would really appreciate ANY advice I can get. Thanks!

10-08-2006, 12:15 AM
I am about to go through the police academy at the Saint Petersburg college, and I would like as much advice as possible. What should I expect? It’s my understanding that out of 32 recruits, about 10 drop/fail. Is this mostly because of bad attitudes and lack of physical fitness? Should I get a 19 or a 17 glock firearm? How are the exams each week structured? Are the instructors there to assist, help, and guide the students, or are they known to be unhelpful. Do they do PT at the end of the day, and do all the students take showers (I was told they have showers there, a bit odd?). Where will I be trained to use my firearm? If anyone could answer any of these questions, please do. I would really appreciate ANY advice I can get. Thanks!

In order of the questions asked;

1.Like what?
2.Recruits fail for many reasons, LEO academies aren`t that though that 10 out of 32 fail, it is not the military.
3.Firearms are issued by your department. If you want to carry something else, it will be up to them (the department) what you may carry. For example, say you get issued a .38 revolver but you want a .45 semi auto. You purchase/borrow your choice of a .45 and ask to get qualified by your department`s firearms instructor. If you qualify, then you can get authorized to carry that.
4 and 5; It`s all up to the way their curriculum is set up.You shouldn`t sweat this, it isn`t college physics or math.
6.PT is whenever it is, mostly at the beginnig of everyday and...
7.at the beginning of every self defense class (in order to loosen your muscles and not suffer a sprain or injury while learning self defense tactics)
8.SHOWERS???? Well, do you expect to sit down in a class, with others around you after physical activity, without taking a shower first? If you worry so much about being naked in front of others, albeit for the brief period of time you`ll be in the academy, then, the shrink hasn`t done a good job in weeding you out of the process!
9.Of course you will be trained to use your firearm, how in the hell is the department going to absorb liability if you are not qualified to use a firearm?????

Hope this helps 8)