PDA

View Full Version : Academy

10-07-2006, 07:14 PM
I am about to go through the police academy at the Saint Petersburg college, and I would like as much advice as possible. What should I expect? It’s my understanding that out of 32 recruits, about 10 drop/fail. Is this mostly because of bad attitudes and lack of physical fitness? Should I get a 19 or a 17 glock firearm? How are the exams each week structured? Are the instructors there to assist, help, and guide the students, or are they known to be unhelpful. Do they do PT at the end of the day, and do all the students take showers (I was told they have showers there, a bit odd?). Where will I be trained to use my firearm? If anyone could answer any of these questions, please do. I would really appreciate ANY advice I can get. Thanks!

01-18-2007, 04:27 PM
I am about to go through the police academy at the Saint Petersburg college, and I would like as much advice as possible. What should I expect? It’s my understanding that out of 32 recruits, about 10 drop/fail. Is this mostly because of bad attitudes and lack of physical fitness? Should I get a 19 or a 17 glock firearm? How are the exams each week structured? Are the instructors there to assist, help, and guide the students, or are they known to be unhelpful. Do they do PT at the end of the day, and do all the students take showers (I was told they have showers there, a bit odd?). Where will I be trained to use my firearm? If anyone could answer any of these questions, please do. I would really appreciate ANY advice I can get. Thanks!

Contact your academy coordinator...I'm sure he'll/she'll have ALLLLLLL the answers. OK, so I'll give you a few pointers...the 10 drop/fail...could be attributed to not passing written exams or failure of a high liability course. About the firearm: while Glock seems to be a LE standard *laughs* check with the agencies you are considering for employment to learn what is authorized/issued for carry on-duty. Personally, I prefer Sig Sauer, but where I'm at it's the Glock 45 cal. 'Can't be picky when it comes down to what is issued.

Not having attended SPC, I can only say what I experienced at another academy. Many instructors at the academy I attended stated they were not teachers. Honestly, I can see the academy becoming an online or at-home study course and where you come in to attend a live class for only your high-liabilities, in the next decade. You're there to re-read what is in-print so the instructors can say the material was covered. Not to say there aren't a few good "teachers" there. You do most of your REAL learning during High Liabilities or "special-time" worked in the schedule like "Roll-play Day." If you're on the TTPD LEOAFFAIRS message board, I can only assume you're interested in applying there. IF SO, HCC has a TTPD instructor whose name I will not put up on here, but who is one of the best instructors over there...I'll just say he's a Sgt. (BTW I'm not with TTPD). Thanks Sgt.

Last but not least, read the books! You can't learn if you don't read what you're supposed to read.

Hope this helps. :)

01-20-2007, 04:40 PM
The sgt. is one of the best instructors...How about that sgt. is one of the ****iest instructors

01-21-2007, 07:03 AM
The sgt. is one of the best instructors...How about that sgt. is one of the ****iest instructors

He may come off ****y to some, but I would bet it's more of a confidence. The man really knows his shit - and I don't think anyone can argue that.

01-21-2007, 11:04 AM

Don't address it, this is the same sorry little man who just trolls here waiting to say something bad about something and attempt to denegrate the dept.. The same little man who lives to post something bad. He has a problem, he cannot live life like a normal person, he HAS to post here to fufill his sorry existance.

He is a insignificant person that nobody will miss when he passes, having no effect on the people around him or the world in general. He is a non factor in the world who does not contribute anything meaningful, and everyone would be better off if he died today.

So do not respond to him he only gets some perverse satisfaction when he posts something negative and another responds to him. disregard his comments and he will pass on like some many other worthless things and people, no one even noticing he was once here.

01-22-2007, 06:28 PM

Don't address it, this is the same sorry little man who just trolls here waiting to say something bad about something and attempt to denegrate the dept.. The same little man who lives to post something bad. He has a problem, he cannot live life like a normal person, he HAS to post here to fufill his sorry existance.

He is a insignificant person that nobody will miss when he passes, having no effect on the people around him or the world in general. He is a non factor in the world who does not contribute anything meaningful, and everyone would be better off if he died today.

I agree with A Wasted Effort, don't respond to it. It is also easy for someone to hide behind an anonymous message board. It's not worth the time, effort, or energy to key-stroke a reply. :)