PDA

View Full Version : Academy

10-07-2006, 07:12 PM
I am about to go through the police academy at the Saint Petersburg college, and I would like as much advice as possible. What should I expect? It’s my understanding that out of 32 recruits, about 10 drop/fail. Is this mostly because of bad attitudes and lack of physical fitness? Should I get a 19 or a 17 glock firearm? How are the exams each week structured? Are the instructors there to assist, help, and guide the students, or are they known to be unhelpful. Do they do PT at the end of the day, and do all the students take showers (I was told they have showers there, a bit odd?). Where will I be trained to use my firearm? If anyone could answer any of these questions, please do. I would really appreciate ANY advice I can get. Thanks!

10-08-2006, 08:27 PM
You will only P.T. during High Liability training (i.e. firearms and defensive tactics). I don't know your credentials or experience with firearms, and I wouldn't pretend to know. Nor, am I trying to insult you. That being said, do not worry about what type of firearm to purchase. Most agencies issue Glocks, but if you want to purchase a weapon, there are better brands to buy. You will train and qualify with academy firearms at an on-site facility. It is a pretty nice facility and it is indoors. The tests are only difficult if you do not listen to your instructors. About half the people that don't graduate fail because of tests. These are the people who will admit to being horrible test-takers, but will also then refuse to hear the voice of reason and accept any additional training or simply shut their mouth while the instructor is speaking. Classes can be long, arduous, and boring but, if you really listen with even half-assed interest, you should be able to take and pass any test based simply on what you heard. However, there will be the occasional subject that is either grossly overwhelming, or simply has so many confusing similarities in answers that studying from your book for just 30 minutes will be necessary to get you through. However, all the exams are easily passable if you simply plan according to your academic weaknesses. As for the instructors, they are very helpful. They are like coaches. Firm, but fair. Never speak to them as if you were friends on the street, but also never be afraid to be assertive and seek their assistance. They are good people. If you are coming from the military, do not expect the academy to perform to military standards. I did and I was sorely disappointed. Rather, understand that not everyone in attendance (which may or may not include yourself) has been in the military, and the standards of discipline in the academy are the highest they have ever encountered. Most importantly of all though... if you take nothing else away from what I am telling you... HAVE FUN! Relax, clear your head, go in their with an open mind and a willingness to learn and you will have fun. Never stress, never panick, and never worry until your instructors tell you... and they will when the time is right. Enjoy the team atmosphere, enjoy the friendships you'll make, and enjoy the experience as something new. There is a lot of fun to be had there. And never take anything personally.