PDA

View Full Version : off duty work

10-06-2006, 12:18 PM
can rookie road deputies work off duty before getting of probation? and also can the CCSO take home vehicles be taken outside the county (how far?)?

Thanx for any input!

10-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Yes and No.

Once a deputy sucessfully completes the FTO process they may work overtime and details. This process takes 3-months, or 44-48 Daily Observation Reports. Probation lasts for the first year of employment.
At this time, take home cars may NOT be taken out of the county. What the out-of -county deputies usually do is leave thier patrol cat at the sheriff's substation of firehouse closest to the county line.

10-07-2006, 02:48 AM
NO....new deputies are not allowed, per policy, to work overtime details until they are off probation. That said, many still do it by having other deputies they know pick up the details and then they work it for them...circumvents the stupid policy...well done.

Cars out of county?....don't some supervisors live out of county and take their cars (though unmarked) home? hmmmmmmm

Good luck!

10-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Old School is correct. I don't know where the other poster got his information from.

"Guests" response does not even make sense. If I signed up for an O.T. detail for someone else, then that money would be in MY paycheck. Then I would have to owe the rookie who worked the detail money. I do not know of ANYONE doing that!

What does happen is when the original deputy signs up for the job and then at the last minute needs someone to fill the job and can not get it re-posted fast enough on the Intranet, calls a buddy who works the job. Then the original deputy owes him money. But, the original deputy usually owes more than the contract rate to his friend.

As for the second part of "Guests" response. Driving an unmarked CCSO car out of county has never been the issue. It has always been the fact you are in a marked car out of your jurisdiction and the cost on tax payers to incur the EXTRA cost and miles on the vehicle. With the size of our county, many cars already have above average wear and tear to include filling up two or more times during a shift.

Bottom line, once you get hire and go through FTO phase and then get cut loose, you will be assigned a vehicle. A year will have already past or close to it and then you have to submit your name to 1sgt "J". Once he approves you then you are free to work all the O.T. you can handle!!

Good Luck! 8)

10-07-2006, 10:37 PM
I have been doing it for years....somebody else signs up for a bunch of overtime details and then we split them up. One guy acts as the overtime bookie. It saves from being automatically assigned to details.

Wrong? Tomorrow I will post the policy number for you to refer to...

If I go to another guys detail (and he stays home), and I put the time on my time card....how does somebody else get paid? Great Caesar's ghost....

10-08-2006, 01:53 AM
Hey guys, I don't want to get in the middle of this, but as far as the detail thing goes, the policy about a deputy being off of the 12 month probationary period seems to be routinely waived. I have seen quite a few members complete FTO, submit the memo and get approved to work details. I guess they could strictly enforce the policy, I just see the practice as it is.
As for working other peoples details....I don't know about that one. I am sure that it is done, but it seems like a way to get jammed up....

10-08-2006, 02:07 AM
I should have posted this with my last reply, but you know how it is.

Reading this discussion, I am first and foremost happy that we are able to provide information to those who are curious about CCSO.
Having said that, I am even prouder that even when we disagree, as we sometimes will, we remain intelligent and professional in our responses to our fellow members. It speaks volumes about who and what we are, and and shows that we are what we represent- the best of our society, able to be reasonable and display our character even in times of adversity. I know that disagreement on the forum and our response to it may seem a small thing, but it is sometimes the small things that show who we really are. I urge you to surf some of the other forums, where at the drop of the wrong word the users degenerate into name calling and bitterness.
Can you imagine working with people like that?

Fortunately, you don't have to...We are CCSO, and we are above that noise!

10-08-2006, 07:15 PM
a policy waived is a policy nonetheless.

i concur with professionalism in such communications...kudos.

10-08-2006, 08:12 PM
I am looking to start with CCSO sometime "soon" and have looked at real estate to buy...need less to say naples is out of control as far as prices go. any suggestions on part of the county to live in where I could buy something around 200k and not have to get shot at driving home or put burglar bars on my house?

Thanx for all the responses. CCSO so far seems to be OUTSTANDING!

10-09-2006, 05:16 AM
I do not believe that a house can be purchased for anywhere near that price. With that said, I think you should look at lending institutions that off Public Service workers a special program and opportunity to purchase a home. I am sorry but I can not recall any of the names but maybe someone reading this can provide further information.

I can say that the further East you look, the better the home values and opportunity to find what you are looking for.

Welcome to our family! We look forward to working with you and if you need anything…Do not hesitate to ask!

K9Iam
10-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Joe,

HUD as a program called the “OFFICER NXT DOOR PROGRAM” you might look into it.

06-28-2008, 03:42 AM
ah...the old days...

06-28-2008, 02:06 PM
K91...have you seen the areas these houses are in....Not fit for man nor beast brother! Steer him elsewhere.