PDA

View Full Version : Contract and your value

reddog1
10-04-2006, 04:27 AM
OK, I think I finally figured out how to use the new system and get my posts to appear so here goes:

I can't believe someone was registered under my call sign and I had to alter it by adding a 1, anyway...

It is now time to stand up for who you are and what value you put on your lives...

We are arguing about the value of a 12 plus % raise. I ask that you stop and reconsider your perspective. We have forever undervalued our worth to society. We make 70,000 plus and say "Wow, that's pretty good", I mean after all, if the median income in this area is in the 30G per year range we do well. At what value do you place your mental and physical well being, not to mention your life. We need to stop comparing apples to oranges. There is no comprable occupation in the civillian world that you can equate to ours.

I have no problem if people want to compare the ranks from Lt. to Chief against the private sector, I mean after all, they're only management. You could look at management in corporate America and argue that MPO pay equates well to most management positions in civillian business. Our management doesn't even compete using the same qualifications the civillian world does. Competence and ability matter in the private sector, not here. Our staff, for the most part, would have a hard time climbing to MPO wages in corporate America. We have our priorities and pay reversed.

Police work in the mid 1800's began with large thugs given authority to quell unrest. It was a low level blue collar undertaking. The pay was at the lower ends of the economic scales because, at the time, professionalism and intelligence were not pre-requisites. Police work has evolved to the point we can't just beat our will on society. The occupation now demands a level of professionalism, patience and empathy most normal people would never be able to master. Give the average citizen the task of encountering the most abusive, negative aspects of humanity and see how long they can put their ego aside and address the dregs with "Yes Sir" and "Yes Ma'am". Ask them to make split second life and death decisions. See if they can tolerate on a daily basis higher and higher demands put on them by their supervision with not even a thank you. Ask them if they'd be willing to sacrifice years off their life expectancy and sanity to help their fellow man for the compensation that has been leveled as fair for law enforcement.

The value of law enforcement to society is easy to demonstrate. Look at New Orleans one day after the centurions disappeared from the scene, anarchy and the laws of the jungle emerged instantly. Attorneys command $200 per hour, doctors and top city staff do very well. People have accepted their wages as acceptable for their jobs. Law enforcement, (and I'm not referring to management), should be compensated at well over $100G's per year and one would have to question at that point if that pay equaled the value of their laying their life down for another.

The city's actions in these negotiations have been an insult to the highest degree. Majors were given bonuses equaling 6% of my pay, it will take me a year and a half to equal the gift they were given for riding on the risk to my life.

A friend and co-worker gives a beautiful illustration of the value of what we do... How many companies erect a statue, with employees names engraved, of those who died doing their job? Notice the empty space below?

Vote for what you believe, yes or no, my feelings won't be hurt. My hope is that Tampa lead the nation in just compensation for us putting our lives on the line for our fellow man... GOD BLESS ALL MY BROTHER AND SISTER POLICEMEN... The original reddog

10-04-2006, 11:57 AM
I say accept nothing less than 20-20-18. How about take home cars for your wives and/or significant others. Heck, get one for your other girlfriends as well as your wives. After all, they both stand by your side as you rid the world of all evil. Next, don't accept less then 10 hours pay for a single court appearance. And if they call you to cancel court before you arrive, it shoud be an automatic 5 hours pay. I think you should also be compensated for your shoes, socks, underwear and t-shirts. After all, you can't go to work without them. I also think that travel time to and from your homes should be included in your work day. Let's face it, you are in your uniforms,underwear and all, while traveling in your take home car. So in the event that something could possibly occur while going portal to portal, this time should be included. You should also seek your birthday, your wife's birthday, girlfriend's birthday, kid's birthdays, both from your wife and girlfiends kids, parents birthdays, grandparents birthdays, wife's grandparents birthdays, even your girlfriend's parents and grandparents birthdays off as paid holidays. After all, they're part of your extended family and have stood by you all this time while you're still ridding the world of evil. That's all I can think of for now. Maybe I'll post more later. But as a citizen, I'd be more then happy, even proud to step up to the plate and pay 30, 40 even 50% more in property taxes just so you can have all these things. You deserve them, you really do. I can't imagine why the city administration would treat you this way. It's so unfair :roll:

10-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Srry, it took a long time for anyone to reply because while you are making jokes and mocking Law Enforcement we were in Polk County laying to rest a fellow cop who was murdered. He was actually in his flag covered casket as you were typing your LEO bashing nonsense. Thanks and I hope you feel good about yourself. Your comments do not merrit reply, however I was sitting here drinking a cup of coffee and felt the need to let you know what a sorry puke you are. Hopefully nobody else will reply.
Since your so ready to type about cops and pay issues why dont you write a letter to Williams' widow and ask her what % her husband should have gotten.

10-04-2006, 01:22 PM
You're the one who's the sorry puke. And he was buried yesterday. You've got some nerve incorporating the death of a fellow officer into your greedy needs for more money and benefits. And you call those retired old guys 'greedy *******s'. You should be ashamed of yourself. Just keep posting all you feel you deserve and see if the citizens continue to support you.
By the way, William's widow, thankfully, will be well taken care of. So I really don't think she gives a crap about what % you guys get.

10-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Ahhh, he gave it away so easily. Good post CP, this guy just clearly gave it away.....he is one of the retiree's who is bitter. That must be a terrible way to go through retirement.

10-04-2006, 06:14 PM
ATTENTION CURRENT ACTIVE TPD UNION MEMBERS. VOTE NO !!!!!

10-04-2006, 06:24 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA Jokes on you. I'm going to play golf while you ***** and complain all day about your union, pension, the city, health insurance and how bad you have it.
Have a great day :lol:

10-04-2006, 10:08 PM
If the joke was on him why in the HELL are you retired and still reading LEOaffiars........hell, i work here and I am ashamed to come to this site.

10-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Because it's fun to watch you all makes azzes out of yourselves. I gotta do something when not playing golf.

10-04-2006, 10:44 PM
HA he was going to play golf because HE"S the caddy!!!! you're crappy pension pay guarantees that. The good news is according to Insurance companies, you'll be dead soon. Either way we're rid of you. want me to sign your card there ol' timer?

10-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Can ya feel the love :lol:

10-05-2006, 12:19 AM
HA he was going to play golf because HE"S the caddy!!!! you're crappy pension pay guarantees that. The good news is according to Insurance companies, you'll be dead soon. Either way we're rid of you. want me to sign your card there ol' timer?

If our pension is so crappy, why don't you leave and work somewhere else rookie.

10-05-2006, 12:32 AM
Thats all right,
I wake up free as a bird in the AM.
No one to answer to..
Just check and see how the lawsuit is a comin.

10-05-2006, 01:06 AM
I can tell you how the lawsuit is coming

Cops 3

Thieves 0

10-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Take your BS some where else. What is absolutely sickening is the fact that you are a cop! You reak of cop by your verbage. Do you really think we couldn't figure that out? I hope like h#%$@ you are not a TPD officer, because I would hate to think that you are a co-worker of mine!!

10-05-2006, 01:22 AM
Would you like some cheese to go with that whine :cry:

10-05-2006, 02:10 AM

If our pension is so crappy, why don't you leave and work somewhere else rookie.

Not MY pension, THEIR pension!! remember the lawsuit? I'm happy, I just hate that old crusty malcontents feel stealing is a career after they have retired. And they're stealing from us!!!! I will retire and be content, I won't come back and try to steal from current officers. they are nothing more than greedy old men that shame their past career. I will never go to a retiree event EVER!!! because of lowlives like the current group that sit around and want to try to get something that belongs to others

reddog1
10-05-2006, 08:42 AM
It didn't take long for this string to get hijacked and pulled into the muck and mire of the dispute between actives and retirees. I made no personal attack on anyone other than to take a glancing swipe at some unspecified management. I had hoped to provoke thought on the part of active police officers to re-evaluate their personal perspective on the value of their job. I haven't posted here in a long time because of the ugliness from both sides of the pension legal battle. The retirees find themself having to fight for value now they have gone, which is a decidelly disadvantaged position. I hope to have our value re-estimated prior to pulling the pin. Actives, try not to fall prey to the temptation to engage in a war of words with those who have gone before us. Learn from their experience and stand strong now while you still have a forum in which you have active input on future compensatory considerations. Our lot will not improve until we can unite behind the knowledge that our lives and our service to our fellow man is worth much, much more than has historically been established.

10-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Great post and right on target, Thank You !