PDA

View Full Version : Next HCSO Contract

09-30-2006, 09:27 PM
I've been reading and keeping up with tpd's page reference to their contract negotiations...We only have a year left on ours, so I'm curious to know what other deps think we should shoot for. I think the first priority will be money, but what after that?

I think we should go for:

3 Hrs court
More specialty pay
Sr dep program
Making detective a rank again
Lateral transfer for experienced leo's (get better applicants)
A more structured discipline policy (so if I do something in d4 and dep smith does the same thing in d3, we both get the same discipline)

10-01-2006, 01:29 PM
There is nothing more URGENT for deputies nearing retirement than getting the county to continue to subsidize their HEALTH INSURANCE at the same level that they do active duty deputies.

When you have to start paying the ENTIRE Health Insurance premium every month it goes a long way toward wiping out your retirement pay!

10-01-2006, 08:25 PM
There is nothing more URGENT for deputies nearing retirement than getting the county to continue to subsidize their HEALTH INSURANCE at the same level that they do active duty deputies.

When you have to start paying the ENTIRE Health Insurance premium every month it goes a long way toward wiping out your retirement pay!

So kids, what I will say to you I will say in five words "deferred comp..... just do it"

:mrgreen: :cop: :mrgreen:

10-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Minimum three hours court time just like other agencies.

If i have a depo in the middle of the day and only get 1 1/2 hours of ot is not worth hiring a babysitter....

10-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Minimum three hours court time just like other agencies.

If i have a depo in the middle of the day and only get 1 1/2 hours of ot is not worth hiring a babysitter....

You should never have less than two hours of court time. Our current contract allows a mim of two hours.

10-02-2006, 02:27 AM
We get a minimum of 2 hours court time plus 1/2 hour drive time to court and 1/2 hour drive time back home.

We get a minimum of 3 hours

10-02-2006, 02:47 AM
We get a minimum of 2 hours court time plus 1/2 hour drive time to court and 1/2 hour drive time back home.

We get a minimum of 3 hours

Read the contract it says a mim of two hours court time not two hours court and 1 hr traveling....that would be included in the two hours mim.

10-02-2006, 08:53 AM
The contract dosent say that travel time is included in this. Our S.O.P. says we can get 1/2 hour travel time each way.

2 hours minimum plus 1 hour travel time is 3 hours.

10-02-2006, 07:50 PM
"
So kids, what I will say to you I will say in five words "deferred comp..... just do it"
That's great if you retire over the age of 59 1/2, if you retire before that, you get penalized when you take out the money, so that's not the answer. I'll be gone with 30 years total and I'll be all of 50. There has to be another, better way. :snicker:

10-03-2006, 12:10 AM
"
That's great if you retire over the age of 59 1/2, if you retire before that, you get penalized when you take out the money, so that's not the answer. I'll be gone with 30 years total and I'll be all of 50. There has to be another, better way. :snicker:

I'm not sure what you mean about "penalized" when you take out the money. Do you mean you pay income taxes on it? Of course you do. The "deferred" in "deferred comp" refers to deferral of the income tax - not forgiveness of the income tax. The concept was based upon the belief that retirees would be withdrawing the money in small amounts to supplement their retirement income and since their retirement income would put them in a lower tax bracket than when they were employed they would pay a lower tax on the deferred funds being withdrawn. If you withdraw it all at once you will be paying tax in a bracket up there with the really rich guys. You don't want to do that.

At age 50 you should be going into a second career, supplemented by your retirement income, and shouldn't be needing to withdraw your deferred comp money anyway. You should let it continue to grow to carry you through your true retirement years after your second retirement.

Or, you can withdraw small portions annually to supplement your retirement income while keeping an eye on the amount so you don't push yourself into a higher income tax bracket.

The health insurance premium issue is a more pressing matter.

If you retire in the next few years at age 50 your out of pocket expense for health insurance premiums will probably be over $6,000 a year AFTER you apply the health insurance stipends from FRS and the county. And when you reach 65 the county will quit paying their portion and your premiums will involve even more out of pocket. (You can't afford to drop it even though you qualify for Medicare.)

So NOW is the time to get the PBA on the ball and negotiate for the county to pay the same proportion of the health insurance premium for retirees that they pay for active employees AND don't worry about the rinky-dink stipend they offer now (which is the same as the FRS amount and is based upon years of service.) You want a (larger) guaranteed amount that doesn't depend upon years of service.

NOW is the time to put retiree health insurance premiums on the bargaining table for CURRENTLY ACTIVE EMPLOYEES! Once you are retired it is too late. The PBA will NOT negotiate benefits for people after they retire.

Health insurance premiums will continue to climb. This will be a very important pocketbook issue for you when you retire.

:!:

10-03-2006, 01:44 AM
"

Also the 59 1/2 rule does not apply to deferred comp