PDA

View Full Version : Picket protest

09-28-2006, 01:04 AM
I spoke with a Fire department capt. and he got on the horn with their union. He was in agreement to assist us in a picket of city hall and Big Blue if they try and sell us that crap of a 4/3/3. Remeber the contract before this mayor fire got a 6/6/6 raise?

We have every reason to stand strong. We are in the best position we have been in during the 12 yrs i have been here.

The mayor is up for reelection.
Crime is down, way down.
Tax revenue is up
They overfunded our pension and just got 1.5 million more than they thought they had.
Look at the bonus issue, 5K for the majors?
Now imagine a picket line around city hall ....

There offer was an absolute slap in the face. It was an insult. We post those numbers and then do reward us with a 4/3/3.
So my question is are we willing to stand united and picket if necessary?

09-28-2006, 02:42 AM
Remeber the contract before this mayor fire got a 6/6/6 raise?
Just so nobody goes perpetuating incorrect information, this simply is not true. A previous contract did draw considerable pay increases for some topped out positions but the vast majority of the members received less than 6/6/6. Personally my salary schedule for that contract period reflected half of that. At the time, the Union officers sold it to the membership as 6/6/6 across the board which was a deception. It was a move intended to pad the pensions of those that had entered the DROP. It was easy to swallow for those with a few years that realize each of us would eventually benefit from the increases at the topped out positions but the younger guys would have had nothing to do with it it they would have realized at their steps they might be getting less than 5% increase total for the entire 3 year contract period. The current contract was flat across the board for every FD Union member and matched the same rate increase as you.

I cannot speak for the FD Union or the officers but I can tell you that during casual conversation among the FD Union brothers and based on comments made within recent FD Union meetings, I believe overwhelming that the FD Union members will support and stand in solidarity with you.

I personally thank each and every one of you for what you do and wish you the very best with your current negotiations. Stand strong and united, its a new tactic that will confuse the City. Maybe we can learn something as well.