PDA

View Full Version : Contract - send a message now while it can still count....

09-26-2006, 02:43 PM
... in a few days it will be to late!

In the past we have demonstrated a lack of resolve to show solidarity – especially when it comes to the contract. We pay so much money for a union, then watch them fall short and not rally the troops when a message needs to be sent. We elected and banked on people like the red headed guy (no names) who didn’t care what management thought of him - and we thought he would say what needed to be said. Then he got promoted and went through a metamorphous.

So here we are, just a few days from the expiration of our contract and the city is now poor. Didn’t the chief just come to our roll call and say they had a revenue surplus from higher than expected property taxes? Was he wrong – I doubt it!

We have been pushed, and pushed to work harder. I for one am doing a lot more than I was, and I was not a slacker to begin with. I have been on board, followed all the direction(???) of the old major, and am now given 100+% for the new one (again, no names). Who crushed crime and is keeping it down? I do not recall any of management by my side last Friday night. I agree the bonus thing, especially for a 1-year civilian is so much B.S., but lets get over that and work on what is fair for all of us now.

Again I reiterate

1) Crime is way down (not through natural swings in trends, but from hard work).
2) We have heard the blowing of the whistle, we have done our part.
3) We have worked an alphabet of operations.
4) The majors enjoyed a large bonus for our efforts (the same ones who are representing management in these contract talks) and returned a “You are only worth a 4, 3, 3” – not even what we got last contract before we worked our buts off and dropped crime in our district.
5) The mayor likes the police
6) The mayor is up for reelection, during the last contract the fireman negotiated the year after us, and happened to be in the same position (the mayor was up for reelection just before they went in to negotiate) They got a huge raise over the three years (look into it, and ask why…)
7) Lets hold tight and send a strong message in the halls, in squad meetings, and in roll-calls (it will go up the chain far more effectively than this website). Voice our minimums – we are stuck with 5, 5, 5 now that the union weakly counter offered this, but I would have pushed 6, 5.5, 5 or something that still gave us room (I know – I read the PBA site, we all had an opportunity to be on the negotiation committee, etc… But I still want a career and I elected THEM because they wanted the job and said they would look out for us).

No more rants – lets just push the message – 4, 3, 3 and a 1.5 year shift bid will not pass, and to the PBA - do not even bring anything less than the 5, 5, 5 back for a vote. I am only one voice, but I hope many pile on this post to send you the message (I know you read this).

The line

09-26-2006, 03:26 PM
AMEN !

09-26-2006, 04:16 PM
I agree. Anything less than 5-5-5 is a vote NO!

09-26-2006, 06:04 PM
5-5-5 is the minimum any change to the shift bid is a deal breaker.

09-26-2006, 07:35 PM
lets see how hard they fight for us.

I think we have spoken loud and clear!!!

No less than 5-5-5.
No change to the shift bid.
3 hours court time.

Its time to stand our ground and send a strong message. If we cave in, the city will continue to push us around and give us the minimum like they have done for many years. :twisted:

09-26-2006, 09:26 PM
As the above said, do not back down!!!!

No change in shift bid

5,5,5, 3 Hours ot for court.

They got the money, they are trying to cut more costs on our backs

09-26-2006, 11:03 PM
What the city is proposing is an absolute insult. We are the ones who worked hard so that the majors could get their big bonuses. We're the ones who have been proactive as opposed to just reactive in dealing with the crime problems in the city. We deserve to be compensated accordingly.

If the city wants to insult us with a raise that won't even cover current inflation, I personally think that the quality of police services I provide might be effected. Sure, everyone needs to respond to calls and do their job, however why should I bust my ass doing self initiated activity when they don't want to reward me for doing so?

I hope the city knows that the best way to create apathy in any workplace is to mess with pay.