PDA

View Full Version : ethics in law enforcement

09-21-2006, 08:43 PM
I have been reading a great deal recently about ethics in law enforcement, and wonder how ethics fit/apply to our agency. We have green cards, blue e-mails and once upon a time we had "character first" training.

We do have a focus on ethics, but are ethical standards applied evenly throughout the agency? Does a Deputy receive the same treatment as a Sergeant or Captain for ethical violations? What if a married deputy has carnal relations with a female on his shift? Is he treated the same as, say a married Captain, who has carnal relations with a female in his span of control?

Somebody will undoubtedly answer this post with the party line of "we are all treated equally", and "don't commit violations and you won't have to worry". I do not commit acts that are unethical, immoral or unlawful. I worry about the state of this agency as we progress. I was once a stakeholder in the agency, but am becoming more cynical with every "reconstruction".

We have spent a great deal of money to provide jobs for those who ruined their own divisions, and to control high ranking people who seem to march to a different beat than the Sheriff. Look around and you will see it. Remember the old "hunt club"? Is it back with a newer look?

I have enjoyed working at this agency, and will no doubt complete my career here. I have no political aspirations. I simply love working as a "cop". I greatly respect those around me - they are heroes. The most valuable asset we have is the men and women who wear grey uniforms and and answer 911 calls. Respect is being lost for those who still work in the dust of the arena.

If you see one of your fellow warriors under scrutiny by the administration I recommend you pay close attention. If it's wrong - standy up and say so. If you remain quiet, who will stand up for you when it happens to you? Having a badge has never made anybody right, and having a gold badge has never made anybody omniscient. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

You are all heroes, not politicians - conduct yourself accordingly.

10-09-2006, 02:19 AM
When it comes to your question about sexual impropriety with a sub-ordinate ask your Captain in charge of Internal Affairs. Considering that he not only slept with his subordinate on duty, he promoted her. Insted of punishing him, he was promoted to Captain and moved to a position that judges others in their job performance.

10-09-2006, 05:06 AM
Hmmmm. Gonebutnotforgottten, I have a problem with what you are saying.

1. Unless you “Witnessed” the sex on-duty, then it is hear say.

2. If you did witness it then shame on you for not reporting it to PRB when the facts and information were fresh. But it is never to late to report a felony crime

3. As far as a promotion, that is a tested position on the job requirements. Although the responsibility is enormous, the requirements for the test are not. You do not need a Captain for any help with that one. Furthermore, I believe she is very capable and has rightfully earned that position, without your rumor for promotion.

4. In order to punish someone, a complaint has to be made first. An investigation has to be conducted. Facts have to be gathered and substantiated. Command Staff and the Sheriff have to review all the facts and determine an appropriate punishment. I do not believe any complaint was made. If there was then no evidence must have existed because surely you know that Sex on Duty by a LEO is not only against policy but also against the law. Something this agency would never cover-up! No matter whom it was.

5. All supervisors evaluate job performance. Do you mean “Code of Conduct”?

6. You chose an Author title that lends me to believe that you are no longer with the agency. If this is true then you have nothing to lose to provide PRB with the facts, or the Sheriff directly if you do not trust PRB, so he can be fairly investigated. To spread “Rumors” at this point does nothing to lend credibility to you or the information you have provided.

7. Either take the time to do the right thing and ensure justice is served or don’t waste your time, or mine, talking about it.

Good luck to you, I hope you will do the right thing. :wink:

10-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Hey gone - that is some funny stuff - you're killing me!

10-25-2006, 03:47 AM
We could debate this topic forever and it wouldn't get us anywhere. You can't tell me that you honestly believe all that you wrote in response is true. If you do believe that, then you must be the person I wrote about.

10-25-2006, 04:06 AM
Curious George, the incident I am speaking of was reported and investigated. It wasn't rumor. It was topic of discussion at most role call.

10-25-2006, 04:24 AM
"Role" call ? Must be a south thing, everywhere else its Roll Call ???

10-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Gonebutnotforgotten,

First of all I DO BELIEVE EVERYTHING that I wrote. If I did not, I would have not taken the time to respectfully reply to your post.

Second, if it was investigated and nothing came of it then there must not have been any policies violated. The investigation may not have had an end result the way you thought it should have gone but that is life. What they did may not have been morally right in your opinion but I can not see how your accusations had any direct result on you, your job or your future. So why come on a public forum and try to place a negative opinion about something that had no effect on anyone or the agency as a whole. Furthermore, judging by your posted name, you no longer work with us and I doubt very seriously this act you mention had anything to do with your reasons for leaving the agency…so why talk about it?

To make it perfectly clear, I am not the person you are talking about. I am a road deputy with 15 years in the system. I think that entitles me to some extent to voice my beliefs in a respectful and professional manner. I am sorry that you did not like what I had to say but I can think of better examples for discussion, in regards to “Ethics in Law Enforcement”.

Many things are topics for discussion at “Roll Calls” and if you are who I think you are (CS) :wink: , then you can thank me for having the beliefs that I do for I did not believe everything I heard about you either. In fact, I stood up for you, on many occasions, for your knowledge, excellent skills and ability for keeping us safe and informed. So be thankful that some of us ole timers still teach the younger guys not to believe everything you hear at “Roll Call”.

Thanks for your service to our agency and I wish you happiness with your new challenges in life.

10-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Curios George,

I did not hear about any of this that had gone on and therefore, do not know who you two are talking about.

With that said, I support your views Curios George and believe that all agencies worst enemies are they themselves. I guess it is the nature of the beast so you have to weigh the facts and the source and beleive in the system to make the right decisions.

It is not perfect but like the legal system we work with, it is the best we have and on average, serves the majority with justice. As you say, it may not be the way we would like to see justice but none the same, it is justice and keeps our society in order. In small fashion the way our polices and proceedures keep us in order.

In short, nicely said and professionaly expressed!

Thank you

11-09-2006, 06:58 AM
George, I am not CS. While working for the CCSO, I pushed a green/white. Understand that my leaving the agency has nothing to do with my job performance. My reasons were personal. Working for the CCSO was the best job I have ever had (short of the Military) The friends I made and continue to speak with will be friends for life. That includes the Sheriff. The matter in which I spoke of did directly affect me and my family. One of my family members was part of the investigation and in my opinion it was not handled correctly. We all know these situations can be difficult to investgate, however rank should never have a detemination on the outcome of this time of investigation. You have a Chief in the Corrections Department who teaches Ethics in Law Enforcement. I have spoken to him many times on different subjects. He is by far the best source of information when it comes to Ethics. More Deputies should seek him out and talk to him when they have an ethical question.

JAG25
02-09-2007, 08:40 PM
I actually was walking by when a certain prb member "polygrapher" was kissing a certain female whom is married as they were getting off the elevator at bldg j.

02-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Was the polygrapher's frist named started with a B ?

08-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Was the polygrapher's frist named started with a B ?

BAAAAAAAA

08-24-2011, 11:31 PM
After nearly 20 years here, I would have to agree with the original post. I hate to say it in the old days everyone enjoyed coming to work. But now it seems that either your in the click or out. Unfortunately the individuals in the click really give it to the others.
Now comes the punch line, you see I am in the click and yes you are getting f'ed if you are not in it. There is no integrity here, so get use to it until you can move on.