PDA

View Full Version : Good Job FHP!

09-05-2006, 11:42 PM
A big thanks to the FHP Trooper whose tag number is 2009.

While northbound on BBD at Fletcher at 4:45PM today I was in the left turn lane in very heavy traffic when the car about four cars ahead of me broke down. Between this and the fact that the left turn arrow was cycling on and off in about three seconds, things were getting very congested. In fact, some drivers were trying to get past the problem by driving on the raised median.

The trooper, driving southbound on BBD could have easily missed the problem or could have pretended he didn't see it. To his credit he turned on his overheads, reversed direction and quickly and professionally cleared up the problem.

A small thing you might say. Just doing his job you might say. But I say that the Trooper was contributing to my safety and my convenience - and I appreciated it.

You see my username is "Retired and Content." My full name is "Retired and Content Hillsborough County Deputy."

In my view it is time to cut out all of the arguing and backbiting between agencies. We all have our function and our specialities. In retirement I spend a LOT of time on the Interstates. I appreciate the Troopers.

Now, if there are Troopers who are perhaps too quick to write traffic citations to other LEOs I have no problem having those Troopers names posted. I have become disgusted however with the disparagement of the AGENCIES themselves and their varing primary missions.

Let's lighten up.

:D

09-07-2006, 03:34 AM
Go drink your prune juice, and get to Bed please Pop's. You are Retired now Stay away from the Police work and knit your Grandaughter a nice Sweater please......

09-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Go drink your prune juice, and get to Bed please Pop's. You are Retired now Stay away from the Police work and knit your Grandaughter a nice Sweater please......

How unutterably childish you are. Don't worry son; they will take the training wheels off of your bicycle some day. :wink:

09-08-2006, 11:45 PM
why is it when someone thanks a Trooper or Deputy or City Cop for doing good, some arsehole comes along and puts them down? I myself am an officer and DAMN PROUD of it. I am thankful for the Troopers, Deputies and Officers that are out there doing what they were sworn to do. It means alot when just one person thanks us for doing a thankless job. Those of you who are disgruntled with your LEO jobs, QUIT! We don't want or need you out there. And for the citizens that put us down, you're the ones who are the first to call when YOU need us. So please, stop the bickering and putting down of your local and state officers. We're out here to protect YOU AND YOUR families no matter how ungreatful you are as well as our own.

09-09-2006, 12:19 AM
The reason is because everyone has theirs.....and we in this profession have our share and more. Combined with the fact that this is an open forum available to anyone to include civilian idiots too...the inevitable happens

09-09-2006, 04:07 AM
Much respect to Retired! Pretty sad you have to come back and verbally attack a fellow retired officer who served with pride and dedication risking his life for enough years that he can be comfortable. You really should be assamed of yourself. You are a discrace to your agency and the law enforcement community. Maybe your green or wet behind the ears or stupid but your assault on another for posting a good comment is uncalled for and childish. He has more time on the job in the crapper than you on the road. Get a life arsehole!! Mr. Retired I only have a few to go and after reading post like this I realize that the professionalism, mutual respect and integrity is serously lack by some of our newbies and I look forward to that day more and more each day. Good luck in all of your future endeavors.

09-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Hats off to Lt. Trooper. It's people like you that make officers like me respect you more. I'm only 1/2 way to retirement and it's nice to see there are still some out there that respect their job! I try to teach that to all of my trainees as well. :D

09-09-2006, 02:55 PM
[quote="POP POP":17j1g1mn]Go drink your prune juice, and get to Bed please Pop's. You are Retired now Stay away from the Police work and knit your Grandaughter a nice Sweater please......
Much respect to Retired! Pretty sad you have to come back and verbally attack a fellow retired officer who served with pride and dedication risking his life for enough years that he can be comfortable. You really should be assamed of yourself. You are a discrace to your agency and the law enforcement community. Maybe your green or wet behind the ears or stupid but your assault on another for posting a good comment is uncalled for and childish. He has more time on the job in the crapper than you on the road. Get a life arsehole!! Mr. Retired I only have a few to go and after reading post like this I realize that the professionalism, mutual respect and integrity is serously lack by some of our newbies and I look forward to that day more and more each day. Good luck in all of your future endeavors.[/quote:17j1g1mn]

Thanks for the good wishes, Lt. Trooper. I continue to be troubled by replies to my posts which attack me for being retired - as if entering retirement cancelled out the 40 years of police work that I have experienced.

If those are genuine expressions of opinion by people who are REALLY active LEOs it says bad things about the new crop!

However, having endured a lifetime of verbal abuse from all kinds of people, from the Flower Children of the 60's to the whacked-out druggies of recent years, I find it easy to ignore and dismiss such nonsense.

When I was a very young HCSO deputy working SR 60 and south to the county line alone at night I was a closer friend of FHP Trooper Kenneth Flynt, who worked the same area, than of my "zone partner" who worked SR 60 and to the north.

The night HCSO Sgt. Ben Wilder was murdered in Plant City we had every law enforcement agency you can think of responding to the scene, from FHP to Florida Wildlife, to State Beverage, to PCPD, and some Polk County agencies and many others. That was, of course, a long time ago but it was a reflection of a mutual respect that seems to no longer exist.

Alas.................

09-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Retired and Content,

Thank you sir for your years on the job! I know that a cop with a 40 year life experience has been known to share his wealth of knowledge to the younger guys. In my 15 years on the job I have met all types of LEO's. The majority of my brotherhood is made up of good people. There are always those who slip through the cracks and make it on anyway.

I agree that it is a shame that this board can be used to start trouble when it was intended to help all of us do our jobs better and share of experiences.

God bless you and please stay RETIRED and CONTENT! My old Sgt once said, "It's the good-life". I agree.

Maverick

09-10-2006, 02:53 AM
I too would like to say thank you Sir for your many years of service to the people of the State of Florida. The rookies of today should could learn a lot from someone like yourself or someone like Kenneth Flynt, if he was still around. For those of you who dont know the story of Kenneth Flynt, he was shot and killed when he answered his door one night after his neighbors wife fled to his house following a domestic dispute. Just goes to show you that you never know what that black and tan car will draw to your residence.

09-15-2006, 01:20 AM
I too would like to say thank you Sir for your many years of service to the people of the State of Florida. The rookies of today should could learn a lot from someone like yourself or someone like Kenneth Flynt, if he was still around. For those of you who dont know the story of Kenneth Flynt, he was shot and killed when he answered his door one night after his neighbors wife fled to his house following a domestic dispute. Just goes to show you that you never know what that black and tan car will draw to your residence.

Well, it was a long time ago and memory fades, but I thought the guy attacked Ken with a large knife. They struggled in the entrance hallway of Ken's house as Ken tried to get to a side table where he kept a pistol in the drawer. He was unsuccessful.

I thought it was a nice gesture that that portion of US 41 near Apollo Beach (where he lived) was named after Ken.

He was a good man and a great friend.

You make an excellent point when you say that you never know what having a marked car out in front of your house might attract to your door.

Another reason to be always vigiliant and be safe!

09-15-2006, 03:33 AM
Incident Details
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Thursday, January 1, 1976
Weapon Used: Gun; Unknown type
Suspect Info: Not available

Trooper Flynt was shot and killed while attempting to stop a robbery while off duty. An armed robber attempted to steal a vehicle from a neighbor of Trooper Flynt. The victim ran to Trooper Flynt's home for help with the suspect chasing her. As Trooper Flynt tried to take action he was shot and killed.

Trooper Flynt had served with the Florida Highway Patrol for 19 years.

-------------------------
BE SAFE OUT THERE, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT IS COMING YOUR WAY.

09-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Incident Details
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Thursday, January 1, 1976
Weapon Used: Gun; Unknown type
Suspect Info: Not available

Trooper Flynt was shot and killed while attempting to stop a robbery while off duty. An armed robber attempted to steal a vehicle from a neighbor of Trooper Flynt. The victim ran to Trooper Flynt's home for help with the suspect chasing her. As Trooper Flynt tried to take action he was shot and killed.

Trooper Flynt had served with the Florida Highway Patrol for 19 years.

-------------------------
BE SAFE OUT THERE, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT IS COMING YOUR WAY.

Like Roadman, I'm sure that the "backstory" on this incident was that it was a domestic case. The above sounds like it was an official press release, but I find it strange that an attempted auto theft case in a residential neighborhood was characterized as an armed robbery.

This may have been an early press release before all of the details came out. I certainly was led to believe that the assailant was the estranged (and perhaps mentally deranged) husband of the woman who fled to Ken's house for assistance. Why would an "armed robber" chase the woman? An armed robber would take the car and flee, or simply flee; not go to a house with a marked police car in the driveway.

Anyone out there with more information than a press release?

09-15-2006, 03:20 PM
SIR,WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED? ARE YOU TRYING TO MINIMIZE THE ACTONS AND DEATH OF THE TROOPER????
THE FACT IS THAT SOME MANIAC,DERANGED HUSBAND,LOVER OR ROBBERY OFFENDER,WHO CARES,KILLED A COP JUST CAUSE HE WAS TRYING TO HELP,PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!
THE POINT IS NOT LOST ON ALL OF US EXCEPT,MAYBE YOU!
GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS COMFORTED,KNOWING THAT THE HERO ,IS NOW IN THE HANDS OF THE GREAT ARCHITECT OF THE UNIVERSE.
MIAMI P.D. FRIEND!

09-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Retired and Content you are right. This incident did stem from a domestic dispute beteen the woman and her husband.

09-16-2006, 01:41 AM
SIR,WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED? ARE YOU TRYING TO MINIMIZE THE ACTONS AND DEATH OF THE TROOPER????
THE FACT IS THAT SOME MANIAC,DERANGED HUSBAND,LOVER OR ROBBERY OFFENDER,WHO CARES,KILLED A COP JUST CAUSE HE WAS TRYING TO HELP,PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!
THE POINT IS NOT LOST ON ALL OF US EXCEPT,MAYBE YOU!
GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS COMFORTED,KNOWING THAT THE HERO ,IS NOW IN THE HANDS OF THE GREAT ARCHITECT OF THE UNIVERSE.
MIAMI P.D. FRIEND!

Guest54, you misunderstand.

Kenneth Flynt was my good friend and in effect my "zone partner" when I worked as the sole HCSO deputy south of SR 60 on the midnight shift in the 1960s.

I was not here when he was killed. Roadman and I were simply trying to thrash out some differences between the "official" report and what we recall of the incident at the time.

There was no hint that Ken was involved in a domestic triangle, just that he was killed when the victim wife fled to his house for protection when her deranged husband attacked her.

It was my belief all these years that Ken was stabbed to death. I was surprised to hear that he may have been shot and was just asking for more details.

I still consider the official information on the FHP website to be incomplete. For instance, they say he was killed with "gun, unknown type." How could they not know? Was the gun not recovered? Wouldn't ballistics indicate rifle or pistol? I know he kept a gun in a table drawer in the foyer of his house. Did he and the killer fight over that gun, and was he killed with his own gun? They say "Suspect info - unavailable." How could that be? They don't know what happened to the suspect?

My inquiry is not about the actions of my good friend, Ken, but about the inadequate "official" account of his death.

I am at a loss to see how you could misunderstand and think I was trying to "minimize" his actions and death. But, clearly you did misunderstand.

09-16-2006, 02:05 AM
I APOLOGIZE IF I OFFENDED YOU OR ROADMAN. I THOUGHT SOMEONE WAS TRYING TO PUT A FALLEN BROTHER DOWN!!
I DONT WORK WITH YOU GUYS,I AM MPD BUT YOU ARE ALL MY BROTHERS..

I AM TIRED OF FOLKS/COPS PUTTING YOU GUYS DOWN AND THOUGHT ANOTHER LOW BLOW WAS BEING GIVEN..

LETS KEEP WORKING AND RESPECTING EACH OTHER. THE GRAND ARCHITECT KNOWS AND SO SHOULD ALL COPS,THAT WE ARE ALL WE GOT.
STAY SAFE,POSITIVE AND ALWAYS REMEMBER WE ARE ONE.. NO MATTER WHAT AGENCY OR COLOR.
THANKS.

09-16-2006, 03:50 AM
Guest54, no offense taken. Be careful and stay safe.

09-18-2006, 04:22 PM

Oh yeah, and if he sees you getting your butt beaten to pulp and comes to help you, your going to tell him to drink his prune juice and stay away? Child he has forgotten more war stories then you have. your stupidity is aided greatly by your youth and mouth.