PDA

View Full Version : St. Pete Police Shortage

Gladiator
08-23-2006, 03:40 PM
What a typical response by the department...there is no problem! Open your eyes and look around. If there is no problem why are we loosing so many officers? Why can't we hire more officers? Why is there rarely an officer available to patrol the neighborhoods? Why do we hold so many calls? Why do we hear so often "units I'm holding a"...(the other day it was a just occured sexual battery)? Why are officers holding reports at the end of every shift? Why are we holding officers over everyday to cover the street? Why did the Chief order a sign up sheet for street coverage to be taken down? Why are there only an average of ten officers per district during the day, twelve officers per district during the evening and six officers per district overnight (eighteen officers for the entire city)? Why don't patrol officers get meal breaks? Why are there fewer detectives then in the last fifteen years? Why is the closure rate well below fifty percent? Why? Why? Why? That's simple. Because THERE IS NO PROBLEM!!!!!!!

That's right Chief Chuck "perception is reality"...better yet "REALITY IS REALITY"

From the Weekly Planet:

Only As Safe As You Feel
St. Pete Police Shortage, Part 2: Perception or reality?
BY WAYNE GARCIA and ALEX PICKETT
Published 08.23.06

Alex Pickett
MAN DOWN: "I'm not looking to blame someone for doing something wrong," St. Pete Police Officer Mark Deasaro says of staffing shortages. "Let's just fix it."Officer Mark Deasaro compares the St. Petersburg Police Department to a bucket with a large hole in the bottom. Every month, Chief Charles "Chuck" Harmon pours more officers into that bucket, and every month, just as many (or more) flow back out the bottom.

"We are losing police officers at an alarming rate," he says, looking gravely serious in the Police Benevolent Association's Clearwater office. "You can pour all sorts of new officers into the bucket, but it's never going to fill."

It's an apt analogy to describe the department, which has lost 165 officers since 2003 while hiring only 151. Police records show there are 38 vacancies in a department authorized to field 540 officers. And even that number counts dozens of police in either pre- or post-academy training who cannot patrol the city's streets alone.

The coming months don't look any better: A large pool of officers hired during an early-'80s boom period will retire in the next few years, draining the department of much-needed experience.

"You can't tell me with the number of condos going in downtown, that the infrastructure does not have to be there," says Deasaro, who represents 1,200 officers as the PBA union president. "The first thing people want is to be safe."

It's not an issue unique to St. Petersburg -- thinning police forces are a problem in most growing cities across the country. But some police officers and neighborhood leaders say the difference in St. Pete lies in the way the police department is losing its younger recruits, usually after three to five years in the department.

"We don't have people coming from Tampa or leaving the [Pinellas County] Sheriff's Office to come here," Deasaro says. "We have people from St. Pete leaving to go there."

Deasaro and other police officers cite three reasons for the exodus: rising housing costs, restrictive policies like the no-chase rule and an unsupportive culture inside the department. The high turnover, he says, just adds to the plummeting morale, and further hurts crime-fighting efforts.

"No police officer is going to tell you that crime is under control," he says. "If we had all the police officers needed, we could proactively go and stop things that happen."

The police shortage might have remained an issue just between Chief Harmon and union officials, if not for the increasingly vocal neighborhood groups who say the lack of officers on the city's streets is resulting in a diminished presence in neighborhoods, emboldening criminals. For neighborhood leaders who march through the streets chanting anti-drug slogans at suspected drug houses, the lack of police support is disheartening, if not dangerous.

"The police don't have your back when they retaliate against you," says Matthew Culp, whose home was firebombed in May after 18 months of harassment by area drug dealers. "Everything we've heard is what can't be done."

Central Oak Park Neighborhood Association President Dan Spice agrees.

"I think St. Pete citizens have gone well above the expected line to make sure we do our part to make the city safe," he says. "We ask the mayor and chief to do the same thing."

Sergeant Phil Quandt, who represents the local Fraternal Order of Police chapter, sympathizes with residents.

"They did everything we told them to," he says. "We understand their frustration ... it's becoming a real safety issue."

Instead of addressing the problem, he says, Chief Harmon is too busy quelling dissent in the department.

"How do you help someone if they look at you and say, 'There's no problem, there's no problem,'?" he says.

Chief Harmon refused an interview for this story, but spokesman William Profitt defended the chief's staffing levels and policies as "adequate."

Profitt says the department's authorized strength is reviewed regularly based on number of calls, response times and other hard data.

"As long as I've been here I've heard people complain, but it's not really justified," he says. "I don't think it's our policies chasing anybody away. Quite honestly, I think it's some of the officers in the department who want to complain that is influencing some of the people who come on, telling them the grass is greener."

As for the neighborhoods, Profitt gives the same refrain.

"If the neighborhoods had their way, they'd have an officer on every corner, every hour of the day," he says. "And that's simply not real. No city can do that."

Profitt says he sympathizes with the neighborhood leaders, but their perceptions run contrary to the facts: Crime is down for the second year in a row. Drug arrests are up 10 percent in the city, along with prostitution and traffic citations, three areas frequently cited by citizens.

"If I was in that situation, maybe I'd blur that reality, too," he says of the neighborhood leaders, like Culp, who feel their homes are under siege. "I'm not saying they're lying. I certainly believe in the adage, perception is reality."

But perception matters. The city may be rebounding by every economic and social indicator, and crime, overall, may be down, but those statistics might not matter if citizens don't feel safe enough to leave their homes.

"Why don't you do a poll of residents and ask if they feel safer?" Quandt suggests. "Do they feel safer in St. Pete now than they did last year?

"Because if it isn't safe, all the Sweetbays in the world is not going to change it."

08-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Screw their data and stats. How about they come out on evening shift and see for themselves. Maybe they should randomly look at the call screen to see how many units are avilable and how many calls are holding. Real time data is as good as it gets. As for staffing come on into the report room and look at the check on sheets. Those are the real numbers.

08-23-2006, 05:14 PM
It's always fun to read the junk spewed by Proffit. You were a lousy assistant chief, and now an even worse PIO. Maybe the citizens can retire you one more time, and soon. So the Chief dodges another interview, and everything is just fine, thank you.

You're both an embarassment to the profession.

08-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Bill Profit retired from SPPD and couldn’t get a job. Now he is back as our PIO and commutes to where? He live how many counties south of St. Petersburg. He was a kiss ass who skipped how many ranks to reach ass chief and quit. Now he is back as the PIO give me a break this place is so corrupt. Those law suites he was involved in with Rick? Did hat have anything to do with it all? Tax payers you are so ripped off by this group.

Doc
08-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Why don't you ride with an officer on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday or Sunday. The only time we have extra officers on the street is Fridays. Profitt can say that tickets are up and that is because we can dip down below staffing levels to make sure we have a traffic detail each and every month.

08-23-2006, 09:26 PM
The staff on the street :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They havn't been on the street in years...except Major TC who rode with the CPOs and subsequently initiated a complaint against a Sergeant who was doing his job. Oh how easy it is to forget where you came from

08-23-2006, 09:49 PM
holding evening shift officers over until 4am isnt working. We had the homicide the other week after 4am. We are only putting 5 to 6 officers on midnights for the entire district. The others have about 8, so it is not much better

08-23-2006, 10:43 PM
A comment left at Weekly Planet re: the article above:

Comments

1 comment

Only As Safe As You Feel

Where do I begin? I could just about write a book about how terrible the situation with the SPPD is. First, they've allowed a drug house two doors down from us to operate for a decade. We have tried every possible angle to get help after realizing several years ago that the local police were not a part of the solution. This became extremely obvious in Nov. 2004 when a patrolman, out investigating shots fired in the neighborhood, told us this house “is just a marijuana house." Besides the fact we know that more than pot is sold there and the fact they consistently harbor fugitives, it was very distressing to see how this house seems to be under some strange umbrella of protection. Are they related to Mayor McCheese/Baker himself? Never was this family of criminals strange relationship with the SPPD more obvious than when they were able to get two patrolman at our front door within 20 minutes or less after I dared to mouth the word “trash” at the one criminal daughter who was sitting on the porch waiting for the next customer. But this turned into a blessing in disguise because this got us in contact with the United Neighborhood Alliance. They have our full support in cleaning up this city and hopefully sending Baker out of office in disgrace. Our fondest dream is for Baker to make Katherine Harris look like a winner by comparison.
Karen 08.23.06

Rick, Gayliath, Chuckphuk: Meisa thinky the peoples is ons to yous. Spin cycle. ... Better yet, do your job. Oh, nevermind, spin cycle. Quite the stout political future you kids are garnering for yourselves through this blindingly, blatant denial and deceptive inaction. Mummy must be sooooo proud of raising such good examples of what good citizens should not be / become. You continue to amaze by keeping the good citizens hostages, all while protecting your homies and the associative additional income .

You rock!

08-24-2006, 01:10 PM
I feel pretty safe in the city. Its in the station where I get scared.

08-24-2006, 06:40 PM
How much longer can they get away with this crap? Proffit is and always has been a joke. He couldn't find a job because of his background at SPPD. As a PIO he is the worst speaker I have seen in the Bay Area. Rumor is Baker might look to him to fill in for Chunky when he moves to City Hall?

08-25-2006, 01:30 AM
How about they come out on evening shift and see for themselves. Maybe they should randomly look at the call screen to see how many units are avilable and how many calls are holding. Real time data is as good as it gets. As for staffing come on into the report room and look at the check on sheets. Those are the real numbers.[/quote]

I agree with you!!!!!!!!!! Things are different on the street. Majors and above should be riding out of the street. I know some officers would hate that, but feel the majors and above need to see how the street has changed. Morale is at its lowest and the community has lost their respect for police officers. The job is getting tougher!

08-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Had to hold over three officers for DIII again last night but we're not short staffed. What the hell do you call it then?

08-26-2006, 11:03 PM
One leaving to a n county agency and another going out of state real soon.

Doc
08-27-2006, 02:33 AM
This weekend was Cunduff's last days. Nice working with such a good troop. I know you will not get a pat on the back from the administration here because you are leaving the department. Would be nice if they thanked you for your hard work and dedication, but you know that will never happen.

We really should taught ourselves as the best training department in the land. For any officer that have ever worked in St Pete for at least 2 years or so has more experience than others officers/deputies in departments throughout the area. These same officers when they leave find it so easy to work in other departments, federal agencies and even at Home Depot!

Administration should start dusting off their ticket books and hone up on their own typing skills for they will not be able to bring their secretaries with them on the street to type their reports for them when they are handling calls.

And MORE are leaving folks. The discipline does not look like it is changing even with the movement of the A/C's. Still looking at sustaining officers for lesser included violations. Still taking the doper's word over officers - even when the arrested subject confirms the officers did not do wrong!

Let me be Sergeant for the day and you guys go on the street for a day. Bet you a dollar that you would want to be backed by your chain of command when you did not do anything wrong!

mod7
08-27-2006, 02:40 AM
I agree with the caliber of officers. We see more and more officers coming to our agency from St. Pete. I am very impressed with their training and experience level. I feel for your department because these officers could do even greater things given a chief that would support his people

09-19-2006, 11:46 PM
St pete has alot of great officers but if they want more maybe they should get rid of the 60 college credit bullshit. No other dept in central or the east coast seems to care as long as the officer or applicant is capable of passing the state test and academy.

09-20-2006, 12:12 AM
I don't think they should get rid of that at all. What you don't realize is that requirement actually saves many people from making the MISTAKE of going to work there rather than having to find out the

09-20-2006, 12:13 AM
hard way.