PDA

View Full Version : injured officers

08-22-2006, 12:08 AM
a serious question for you guys: this is not a joke and coming from an injured officer facing termination...

In the event an officer in your agency receives a permanent disabling injury, on duty, what does your agency do? Does it try to find another position within the organization, or does it terminate you (as I am currently facing)?

Do they try to work with the officer, or simply state that if he/she cannot do the job theres the door?

Thanks for any feedback you might have

v-man1

Free Press
08-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Are you a LPD officer facing discharge over disability? Or are you with a different PD?

AFOR
08-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Get hurt on duty at LPD and you are on your own. They do not care if you live or die, or go or stay. If you get injured off duty you can't even come to work until you are 100%. Of course we have a Staff Member who can barely walk, but the rules do not apply to him. This is one of the reasons officers hold back on violent apprehensions. Why get hurt when they will terminate you when it is determined that you can no longer do the job.

09-20-2006, 08:35 AM
AFOR,

This is so true. I have never heard or seen of a city that treats their emergency/LEO's like this. I have been here for some time now and I am amazed that as soon as you become a "burden" on their finances you are immediately looking at the door. I wish that some news/press would get some good stories and print them. This is a disgrace!

I have heard, and been turned down, that the city now has an "unwritten policy" to deny all heart and lung workman's comp complaints. I was denied just recently as well. Of course I am getting an attorney and I will take this to the wall and back at my own expense if neccessary. Just to make a point and let the public see what is going on here. Even the PCSO takes care of the sick and injured--why is LPD sinking-- when we used to be the best of the best and the premere agency to work for. So sad but not any more.

officer down
10-12-2006, 01:04 PM
WAKE UP FELLOWS ANOTHER OFFICER'S HEAD IS ON THE BLOCK. HE IS A VETRAN OFFFICER, FTI, AND HAS PRIOR EXPERIANCE AT A MUCH LARGER DEPARTMENT. HE FELL AT TRAINING BUT SOME OF OUR ''BLIND MICE,'' BROTHERS DID'NT SEE IT. SCARY CAUSE SOME HIGHER RANKING MEMBER, WHO WAS NOT EVEN THERE DID..THATS RIGHT NOT A TYPO..HE IS A WELL RESPECTED OFFICER AND WELL LIKED BY A LARGE MAJORITY OF THIS PLACE....WAKE UP NOW!!!!! IF IT HAPPENS TOO HIM IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANY ONE. GUY'S ITS TIME TO CIRCLE THE WAGONS. HIS ABILITY TO CONTINUE HIS JOB IS UNDER VERY CLOSE SCRUTINY..YET WE HAVE A PERSON ON THE THIRD FLOOR WHO CANT WALK..WHEN DOES HE GET EVALUATED? WHEN DOES THE ''UNION'' SHOW SOME BALLS AND ASK THE SAME QUESTION'S? WE SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED OF OURSELVES. LIKE SHEEP WE ARE BEING LED TO SLAUGHTER.. IN THE MEAN TIME IF YOU CANT DIG DEEP AND HELP HIM..THEN PRAY FOR HIM, IT COULD BE YOU..GOOD LUCK MY BROTHER..FROM WHAT I HEAR YOU NEED IT...

11-30-2006, 06:48 AM
Look, brothers. As a vet of many, many and I mean many years. I have seen a lot. I agree the dept has changed and not for the better. My advice to the injured is get an attorney. I've seen good officers get hurt and get screwed and I've seen officers, get hurt, get paid and just built a new house and sit's cozy in slack job. (got an attorney). You have to look out for yourself and your family, sorry to say, lpd will screw you.

04-14-2007, 09:33 PM
I have to agree with Vet Also. I too having been here for quite some time have seen many officers told that "if you get injured on the job - we'll find you something within the city."

The hard facts are they won't. They string out your condition for as long as the Bobblehead Assistant Chief wants you there. Then she continues to push and push until you get fed up.

Now this guy might not have been the most popular guy around, but he got what he deserved. He recently was let go in this fashion, but it took the PBA to find the money due to him. Although it's not a lot but he's getting a disability check which many others from the past did not get.

Remember this...our union is fighting for us. The city has been anti union for a long time. But we have to stick together or they win in the end.

09-26-2007, 10:42 PM
WE POST MESSAGES ABOUT EVERY OTHER TOPIC, BUT THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS THINGS DO NEED TO CHANGE WITH THIS POLICE DEPARTMENT, AND THE CITY TOO FOR THAT MATTER.

WE ARE ABANDONING OUR OWN WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN....NOT GOOD. IT'S EASY TO WRITE PEOPLE OFF, BUT ONE DAY THE OFFICER DOWN COULD BE YOU, OR ME FOR THAT MATTER.

WE NEED TO SUPPORT THESE FOLKS WHO WERE INJURED, SINCE THE CITY DOESN'T....THEY WERE INJURED ON DUTY, PROTECTING THE PEOPLE OF THIS CITY WHO HAVE NO CLUE WHAT REALLY GOES ON AT THE P.D. OR IN THE CITY FOR THAT MATTER.

WE OWE IT TO EACH OTHER TO STICK TOGETHER. NO ONE WANTS HAND-OUTS, JUST WHAT IS DUE THEM. MOST OF THEM WOULD LOVE SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS A PHONE CALL FROM THE PEOPLE WHO CLAIMED AT ONE TIME TO HAVE THEIR BACK.....SOUNDS MORE LIKE FOLKS HAVE TURNED THEIR BACKS TO ME.....

LET'S SUPPORT OUR OWN, COULD BE YOU TOMORROW!!

09-27-2007, 09:47 AM
I heard that your females who get pregnant CANNOT return to work in any capacity until the child is born and the mother has recovered enough to return to the road. I heard that if any ON DUTY or off duty injury occurs you cannot return to work at all, even on light duty, until you are 100% cleared to return to the road!

Jesus, what the hell is going on over there? Like is stated above even at Polk SO you can work on light duty status in other capacities elsewhere within the agency for AS LONG AS IT TAKES until you are recovered with NO LOSS OF PAY or leave.

10-12-2007, 01:58 AM
If you get injured on the job you are an instant liablilty and a burden to the department. It is shameful. It could be you next and it needs to change. The patient care is a joke. As cheap as possible and cut all corners. Injured cattle get better treatment then the city provides.

10-28-2007, 05:50 AM
it will get rid of you.....another one gone this week. no fault of his own while other's collect six figure salaries. less than a year from vesting, good luck my friend, three-0-seven.