PDA

View Full Version : Overtime ? What are your thoughts and feelings?

08-09-2006, 10:14 PM
:twisted: :evil: :cry: :x

08-10-2006, 12:34 AM
Did you really think it would be any other way?

08-10-2006, 01:50 AM
:shock:

08-10-2006, 03:00 PM
This is nothing new. Been like that every year under the last 3 Sheriffs. That is what happens when we work in this business.

08-10-2006, 03:36 PM
hey! OT at this place means "own Time" glad unit 1 has got alot of dedicated people, just wish he'd let us do our job, instead of hiding from the bad guys. I wonder if the "mail box bandit" project is paying overtime????

08-11-2006, 02:55 AM
Incorrect I don't remember officer safety thrown to the wind like we are doing this year.

08-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Incorrect I don't remember officer safety thrown to the wind like we are doing this year.

Officer Safety? Can you expand on this a little? There is NOTHING the bosses can say or do to make me use poor OS when I am working. If someone is forcing you to relax your OS and you are still working for them then you are a fool.

08-11-2006, 08:37 PM
OK considering you have no clue what is being talked about, the jail is so over populated that you add an officer to each housing unit that has at least one post with over 100 inmates to ensure that the officer to inmate ratio is not way to over board. That has been for the last two or three years, now that they realize they are running out of money they decide to pull all the floats not just the ones to help with the severe over crowding but even the regular floats, Now all the sierras are running around as float 1&2 and also performing their duties. No overtime is to be paid out and they put staffing in the budget to fix the issue, but that will not help till after October if the county commission approves it.

08-12-2006, 04:12 AM
Hopefully the supervisors are not having you all enter the pods for anything until another officer is with you. If so, they should try going in alone themselves and then they will realize the safety issue. That would be as bad as having one car with no backup handling all of Holiday.

08-12-2006, 04:13 PM
madatory post means exactly that, a body most be in it.

now all of a sudden it is ok to go with out them ?

08-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Mandatory

08-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Mandatory

These are only guidelines. Unless you violate them which causes them to metamorphis into a dagger to cut off your head.

08-13-2006, 01:01 PM
:lol:

08-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Mandatory is only crucial when we are running with extra deputies.

Other than that, it's not mandatory to have a mandatory post manned.

-Bob W.

09-10-2006, 02:51 AM
Well in response to the ratio of inmates to deputies, there should be a concern. The jail is overpopulated and there aren't enough Deputies to go around. We should be out in the malls and schools promoting young men and women to join in our career and thats up to us. Although we need the sheriff to financially back us we dont need him to go find these people. They are out there! Alot of them.
And what about housing (red dot) inmates with trustees. Lets take the most threatening inmates and mix that with the movement of trustees all day long. Great Idea. 8 hour outs/3 recs/intake/tustees/groupQ's/wbc's. That's a cluster ---- if Ive ever seen one. Not to mention impossible! officer safety, yah if u have time to think about that one during chow. This doesnt include court,advisories,pd's,mhw's,chaplins,programs,viso ,laundry,and other everyday activities that take place. We really need to re-think this one. Its too much for one deputy and its not safe! I hope it doesnt cost one of our female deputy's. Hopefully someone who can fix this will, but then again look at central control. The (eye)/ (core) of our facility. One mistake and it could be someones life. 25 visitors waiting at the window have to be signed in, the phone's ringing, opening doors, running cameras, Tell me how u can hear the radio when u r dealing with the outside people. mabe on mids. We might be deputies but were not miracle workers. um sorry sir, your son was sliced open cause i was on the phone and the radio was going and i didnt hear the beap. I do feel theres alot we as deputies can fix but if we cant fix the small problems that have been here for years how will we keep the newbees. And our shortage lives on.

09-10-2006, 04:37 PM
First issue with your post is the simple fact that the issues you mention can not be fixed by the deputies. The Sheriff sets policy and the direction in which the agency goes. Lets do more for less and not hire staff over the last 6 years which has resulted in most of the stuff you have mentioned, but then if we listen to the Sheriff we have been saving money for the citizens over the last 6 years so we can hit them hard now. So your issue should be directed to the Sheriff and not trying to some guilt trip. I work my but off day in and day out and am very frustrated over the lack of concern by any of the Detention Administration or the Sheriff himself, but then again if you ask him things are just wonderful and everyone is happy.

09-11-2006, 02:00 AM
Very well said guest 16. I am a wife of a deputy and have been reading the LEO board for a few months. I am VERY concerned about each and every one of you out there at the jail and think that it it going to come to a terrible situation before something is done. My husband is a large guy and I know he can take care of himself, but there is always that chance and that one time that something could go wrong. I worry every shift if it could be the shift because I know how overcrowded and how short staffed the jail is. I am not complaining for him by no means, he doesn't even know I am on here, I have a mouth of my own and use it as a few of you know.

Please be safe and watch each others backs :D
Mrs. Connie McGuffin

09-11-2006, 02:18 AM
The issues you speak of should be directed to the sheriff and his admisnistrative staff, they are the ones that have put this agency in the position we are in. The deputies work very hard every day and do so much in unsafe working conditions while the sheriff is out there kissing babies and trying to tell people that we have sone so much to save you money, but never mentions that he has done it on backs of his deputies. The deputies have performed at a level with little to no uses of force at a time that has shown in past history to be difficult times with the overcrowded conditions. I applaud then each and every day for putting forth such proffesionalism while their own boss wont even come and see them or his administative staff will only stay in their offices or maybe stroll down to staf dining, I bet they can't even tell you what a housing unit looks like anymore.

Rmember one thing it takes the voters to get you in and it also takes the voters to keep you in. My bet is on that there will be new blood in the agency and it will be someone that will keep their promises.