PDA

View Full Version : NEW GENERAL ORDER

08-05-2006, 03:54 AM
Ok whats the real scoop. All over the station the're talking about a memo or general order that will prohibit talking negative about the department of any of its employees. Has anybody actually seen anything in writing?

If it is true can you imagine the number of BIs. Hey Chief Harmon how about looking at the problem rather than the reaction to their side effects.

Your a frickin idiot (BI #1)

Lawman
08-05-2006, 04:01 AM
Its got to be a rumor, such a general order wouldn't be enforcable, and would probably result in a lawsuit.

08-05-2006, 04:49 AM
Heck they can STEAL money from you so who's to say they can't prevent you from speaking the truth? This place plays by their own rules and everyone knows it. They'd put something like that out, LEO Affairs would be buzzin about it and it would stay in effect, end of story... But for everyone's sake we can always hope it's just a rumor.

08-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Its got to be a rumor, such a general order wouldn't be enforcable, and would probably result in a lawsuit.

Well, let me correct your thinking before you end up in trouble with misguided expectations. The United States Supreme Court has issued a ruling concerning this matter and the ruling fell in favor of the cities and police departments. The PBA passed out copies of that ruling yesterday so people could start reading it and know where they stood in reference to the Supreme Courts ruling. I don't agree with the ruling but I don't want to see anyone get in trouble either.

If you did not get a copy of the ruling then by all means find one of your reps as they will have copies so you can read it yourself and fully understand how it effects you.

Pleas don't kill the messenger I'm just trying to put some helpful information out there for all involved.

Lawman
08-05-2006, 04:42 PM
If its the ruling that I am thinking of, it is not applicable to the speculative general order. The Supreme Court ruled that you don't have first amendment protections in your official capacity, meaning that if you were a CPO at one of those neighborhood meetings, you can't speak your mind and claim freedom of speech. The attorney that lost that Supreme Court case was disciplined because of his speech while he was acting as a government attorney, not a private citizen.

The department CAN NOT issue a general order forbidding you from expressing your opinion as a private citizen. They know that and I guarantee that you will not see such a general order.