PDA

View Full Version : Flordia Troopers Sent to Help Patrol Jacksonville

08-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Story by news4jax.com

Thirty Florida Highway Patrol troopers from across the state have assembled in Jacksonville to bolster efforts to reduce violent crime in the city.

The troopers were assigned by Gov. Jeb Bush after Mayor John Peyton requested help from the state as one part of efforts to cut down on the number of killings in the city.

The troopers will begin the extra patrols Friday and continue through the weekend.

"They'll mainly be on the interstate system and major state roads -- particularly in those areas that we feel like (there) may be criminal activity taking place," FHP Lt. Bill Leeper said.

A similar effort by FHP troopers in June was considered successful, making 24 arrests, taking illegal guns and drugs off the streets of Jacksonville.

The extra troopers will join additional Jacksonville Sheriff's Office deputies working overtime shifts in the city's high-crime neighborhoods.

The intense law-enforcement presence comes a week after the city and its leadership were shocked by the alleged murder of 8-year-old Dreshawna Davis. Police said she was not the target, but was killed in a hail of gunfire that apparentlytargeted one of her relatives.

Four people police described as persons of interest were arrested in the days after Davis' killing on unrelated charges. Sheriff's officials said their intense investigation of her death is continuing.

ANY COMMENTS?

08-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Really nothing to say? Good for them, which I could go!!

08-05-2006, 03:49 PM
It's nice to see JSO asking for a little help. Sometimes Florida S.O's are too proud to ask us for anything. Details like this are good for all involved. It helps both agencies, the community, and even the officers that will be working together. It makes sense to have FHP go. Then you don't have to worry about any liability from a mutual aid pact because FHP already has jurisdiction. I'd like to go up there and help out to!

08-05-2006, 10:28 PM
We sure could use some help here in Pasco aswell. I've had the opportunity to meet most of you guys/gals, and I think it could work out real good.....

08-07-2006, 03:27 AM
I am sorry to hear that Florida S.O.'s are sometimes to proud to ask for your help. Let me tell ya, the guys on my squad love working with FHP. No agency should be too proud to ask for anyone's help. I am glad to hear you guys are going to assist JSO. Like always, Stay safe!!!

08-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Being a Jacksonville native. The city/county has really changed over hte years. Their is over 3000 Sheriff's Officers ie..deputies there. Its nice to see FHP helping out but knowing how bad it has gotten 30 troopers want do much but just the same its a nice effort. You are right though. JSO is one that would rarely ever ask for assitance from Florida Sheriffs Task force so consider yourself in the minority. The Beach PDs and surrounding counties didnt even get asked which is par for the course Good luck and be safe

08-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Troopers dont know how to handle a call unless its involving a motor vehicle. Not trying to down them but they have no clue how to do police work. You guys take care of the traffic, we can handle the real stuff.

08-17-2006, 12:29 AM
JSO, Thats a pretty nice comment, considering your department, had the whole state to choose from. And FHP is the one that gets the call. Keep up all your great crime fighting skills!!Your are awesome

08-17-2006, 01:10 AM
Troopers dont know how to handle a call unless its involving a motor vehicle. Not trying to down them but they have no clue how to do police work. You guys take care of the traffic, we can handle the real stuff.

Well you must not know how to take care of the "real stuff" because the murder rate has doubled. So, you must be a real ""dumb ass!"", read the story, if you do the "real" ploice work do you think you can STOP the killings? What a jackass!!!!

08-29-2006, 12:31 AM
"Troopers dont know how to handle a call unless its involving a motor vehicle. Not trying to down them but they have no clue how to do police work. You guys take care of the traffic, we can handle the real stuff."

I just got back from Jacksonville and can tell you that this was not the sentaments of the Jacksonville S.O. They were great to me and the other troopers that went there. We had a great relationship with the s.o. and had a great time working there. By the way, check the stats you'll see what kind of real stuff the Patrol did while we were there. All I can say is thank you S.O. for the hospitatlity and thanks to the Troopers on my Squad for kicking ass in Jacksonville.

04-18-2008, 04:22 AM
oldie but goodie

04-18-2008, 08:04 AM

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??? TAKING A SIMPLE DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, THEFT, OR ANY OTHER REPORT IS JUST AS MUCH POLICE WORK AS WORKING A CRASH. I'VE WORKED FOR MIAMI PD AND I CAN HONESTLY TELL YOU THAT THE PATROL HIRES MORE QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS THAT WANT TO DO LAW ENFORCEMENT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS.

04-18-2008, 09:25 AM
In reality the number of Troopers it is insignificent. I recall having about 150-175 FHP Troopers, not counting 60-80 FHPA, sent to Daytona beach for one and a half (FRI/SAT) days of BCR.

That type/size of commitment would make an impact in Jax.

04-18-2008, 11:51 AM
If people were getting murdered at the rate they are dieing on our highways, the citizens would be picketing city hall. When is Jax SO and all the other agencies in FL going to come to our air to reduce our numbers of death?

04-18-2008, 02:03 PM
good to see TROOPERS working with other agencies.

04-18-2008, 02:10 PM
This is from 2006, are they even doing that anymore????

04-18-2008, 04:02 PM
This is from 2006, are they even doing that anymore????

I hope so!