PDA

View Full Version : SAVING THE SHERIFF"S OFFICE

08-02-2006, 01:54 AM
I have an idea to save the Sheriff's Office. Every week you read in the newspapers about an officer having sex with a prisoner, committing a crime, or abusing his authority, when he is not falling asleep. The Sheriff can organize a force of civilian volunteers. Each volunteer would be responsible for accompanying one officer.
The volunteer will be responsible for keeping that officer awake during the entire shift, and otherwise keeping that officer from breaking the law, or getting himself sued.

08-02-2006, 03:27 PM
That is already being done, We have Civilians Police Academy ride alongs. We are also run by the Civilians that are employed by this agency. Dispatchers tell deputies when to go in emergency mode and Secretaries send back reports to be fixed.

08-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Are you serious? You can't run code unles the dispatch says that you can?

08-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Are you serious? You can't run code unles the dispatch says that you can?That's how it was when I was an Army MP. You weren't allowed to run code unless you were given permission. Don't turn on those reds & blues without authorization!!!! :lol:

08-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Just to let you know, the majority of the dispatchers do NOT like to tell you how to run. It takes the responsibilty off from the road and puts it on them. They do not have a clue of what the conditions are. This went into effect back during the Komar days in the early 90's. The dispatchers wish that would change. So please don't think it is their idea.

08-31-2006, 01:43 AM
We have written policy that states when an officer can run code. We in dispatch have no idea as to what road conditions or weather is so it is not set in stone. We also rely on the road supervisor to pay attention to the dispatches. What we try to do is keep the people on the street safe but not running lights and sirens to everything like they do on TV.
We also have written policy on pursuits but everything can be changed by the on duty watch commander.

08-31-2006, 03:27 AM
I have an idea to save the Sheriff's Office. Every week you read in the newspapers about an officer having sex with a prisoner, committing a crime, or abusing his authority, when he is not falling asleep. The Sheriff can organize a force of civilian volunteers. Each volunteer would be responsible for accompanying one officer.
The volunteer will be responsible for keeping that officer awake during the entire shift, and otherwise keeping that officer from breaking the law, or getting himself sued.

Try to stay awake and not do anything illegal. We are supposed to set the example for others.

04-02-2007, 06:44 PM
A dispatcher right out of high school dictates when a sworn and trained experienced deputy sheriff when or will not run 1018 to a call??????? Gawd, I'm glad I don't work there! I'd fall right out of my car laughing if some kid right out of high school tried to tell me how to approach a scene!

04-03-2007, 01:02 PM
They don't make up when they tell us to run x18... they use SOP's. So even though we are being told to run lights and sirens physically by a dispatcher, the agency if really the one that is telling us when.

For instance, with known injuries we run lights and sirens....with unknown we do not. It's in the dispatch SOP's that the agency provides . It used to be if unknown we still ran lights and sirens, but the admin changed it, not the dispatcher. Anyway... they do bend the rules every so often by forgetting to tell us to run x18 or sending us x18 to things we didn't need to... but for the most part they are working off a set of rules for certain calls. They don't want to tell us how to get places anymore then we want them too.

10-12-2007, 05:32 AM
At our agency the dispatchers will tell you if 10-18 is authorized, but its up to you to decide how you will respond.

10-13-2007, 08:51 AM
The best part is when I try to change the signal of a call. A sg21 to a 42 for example. The first question they ask is " On whos authority?" On the man with a GD guns authority, thats who!

Id like to ask them on WHOS authority was the call designated a 21 in the first fracking place.

10-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Yea...the dispatching here is still pretty much in the Dark Ages, agree on that. Having the sworn guy have to get permission to change the signal, that a civilian decided to put on it, is pretty funny!! In fairness to the dispatchers though. They usually only get limited information over the phone, and its easier for complainants to lie to them or give them misinfo because it's not face to face. Police dispatchers should not be taking 911 calls though..that is crazy!! The cars should be their 1 and only priority!!

10-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Dispatchers do not tell you when to respond emergency. We advise via the SOP'S IF YOUR SGT. IS LISTENING HE CAN CHANGE THE RESPONSE. HE IS YOUR BOSS.

10-15-2007, 09:04 PM
The supervisors could change the response mode and they do change them if needed. But if the supervisor is on a call dealing with other things he might not hear the call being dispatched. You as a dispatcher should understand that seeing we get x9 all the time because there is laughing and talking going on up there desides all the phone calls you take.

I don't think anyone was taking a shot at dispatch, they were actually talking about the admin's decision to not give us the power to respond in the mode needed. Most agencies allow the officer to make the decision including Punta Gorda and North Port.

10-17-2007, 04:16 AM
Posted: 10/13/07 03:51:26 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best part is when I try to change the signal of a call. A sg21 to a 42 for example. The first question they ask is " On whos authority?" On the man with a GD guns authority, thats who!

Id like to ask them on WHOS authority was the call designated a 21 in the first fracking place.

Dispatch doesn't care a bean about whose authority but the admin does and they are the ones that have instructed dispatch to get it. If you don't like that then why don't you put a letter in to the admin and ask for that and the dispatching of code calls to be changed instead of %itching about dispatch. They get the best information that they can and can't help that all the truth isn't told. Put your self in there for a couple of months and see how you do.

10-17-2007, 02:11 PM
On whose authority??? :roll: How stupid!!!! :roll:

Here across the border (SSO) we change it to whatever it needs. We can do it instantly, based on what is best or what is needed. I can't believe that you aren't allowed to instantly change it!!!

10-24-2007, 08:01 PM
The supervisors could change the response mode and they do change them if needed. But if the supervisor is on a call dealing with other things he might not hear the call being dispatched. You as a dispatcher should understand that seeing we get x9 all the time because there is laughing and talking going on up there desides all the phone calls you take.

I don't think anyone was taking a shot at dispatch, they were actually talking about the admin's decision to not give us the power to respond in the mode needed. Most agencies allow the officer to make the decision including Punta Gorda and North Port.

Yes you were taking a shot at dispatchers!! Sorry if we are "caught laughing" up at dispatch Sgt. Hey, here is an idea. Why don't you speak into the mic, listen to the radio, and teach your people on the road to treat us with respect. We could do YOUR JOB............YOU COULD NOT DO MINE!! SO GO EAT SOME DONUTS!!!

10-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Donut remarks are uncalled for, especially seeing the constant eating that goes on in that dispatch center. Dont say you can do this job and noone can do yours, that's B.S. and you know it. The bashing is not necessary on either side.

10-24-2007, 10:46 PM
You all want everything. You could not do the dispatchers job. You sit in there for 12 hrs and see how you do. We do our jobs and most of the time yours too! Some deputies play dumb and say they dont know how to do this or that and call up and ask us to do it. Ok, fine. 95% of the time we do it for them. But why the remarks about us answering 911 calls while we are dispatching? We dont want to do that either, but admin. has us doing it. We want to help out a lot more, but again admin. says no. So start complaining to the right people and stop being so rude and upset with the dispatchers. We do work for the same agency. And to the sgt who complained about us telling the road units to x9.......sorry if we were laughing when you heard a x9. We do have 6 other dispatchers in the room, are you saying we are doing that on purpose? Wrong!! We have alot going on in there and sometimes our co workers are too loud. You obviously do not respect dispatchers, our yourself.

10-25-2007, 02:30 AM
I agree with busy in dispatch. Most road units could not do their job, there is a lot of multi tasking and no offense, but most people can not keep up with the pace. I agree that the donuts remark was uncalled for, however that is nothing compared to what the road units think and say about dispatchers. And that person WAS directing their comments to offend dispatchers because no one respects them, least of all the road units.

10-25-2007, 03:28 AM
Put your self in there for a couple of months and see how you do.

I dont think my waistline could take it....

10-25-2007, 03:39 AM
Yes you were taking a shot at dispatchers!! Sorry if we are "caught laughing" up at dispatch Sgt. Hey, here is an idea. Why don't you speak into the mic, listen to the radio, and teach your people on the road to treat us with respect. We could do YOUR JOB............YOU COULD NOT DO MINE!! SO GO EAT SOME DONUTS!!!

I made the post that ruffled the hens feathers. For the record, I was taking a shot at the policy AND the dispatchers. I didn't go far enough into the criticism to make my thoughts on both parties clear. The dispatchers I deal with are either illiterate or a just too busy catapulting food into their faces to read the SOP reference x18.

Ive been sent to so many calls that should have been x18, but weren't dispatched as such, that I wonder if the tone button is x7.

21's in progress, prowler rattling windows at O'dark thirty....

Lets not forget the barb at Admin: Anyone that is stupid enough to put barely trained, uneducated civilians in a position where they are telling well trained, educated LEO's what to do is a first rate moron. They should have their computers taken away so they cant send out their brilliant new ideas down the chain. Just sit in you office and count your paper clips or go have a bite to eat w/ dispatch...

ROADIE
10-25-2007, 09:49 PM
If other agencies are reading these posts, they must be laughing and thinking that CCSO has a bunch of kindergarteners on the payroll. In my opinion, the name calling at this point is uncalled for and needs to stop before it gets totally out of hand. Let’s face it, the road units could not do their job without dispatch and dispatch could not do their jobs without the roads units so everyone needs to learn to get along together and try to show some mutual respect. You have to admit that then when you listen to the radio there are some attitudes on both sides that could be improved upon. There are some road units that can be quite condescending to the dispatchers and there are some dispatchers that come across as being just a bit nasty as well. There are road units that totally walk over other units and appear to be totally obliviously to the fact that the last unit just asked for five x29Ps and then give the x43 on their subject and get impatient when dispatch is still working on the five previous. And yes, call takers could improve on the x43 they get from the callers to aid in the road unit knowing what the call they were just dispatched to is all about and believe it or not, dispatch doesn’t ask for all those calls for service to keep popping up in your zone so don’t take it personally. Again, there’s room for improvement on both sides. The one post saying that the radio dispatcher shouldn’t be answering 911 calls is correct. The main priority of the radio dispatcher should be the road units but when dispatch is being hammered by phone calls, not answering a 911 call is not an option. Administration is responsible for making all the rules on this game and everyone else is expected to play along regardless of what may possibly be more effective because let’s face it, the people making up the rules have either never worked the road or dispatch or it’s been so long that they have lost touch with what the real world is all about. And last but not least, I can only hope that when the proverbial crap hits the fan out in the real world that all us come together, lose the attitudes and help one another out so that everyone gets to go home at the end of their shift and once at home, realize that it was a group effort regardless of which side of the radio you were on. I know some you are gagging right now but when all is said and done isn’t that what’s really important?

10-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Very Well Said Roadie... Lets not come on a public forum and bash fellow employees..Go read SCSO's board or North Port's and you will see it looks bad on the agency when employees bash each other and air dirty laundry in a public forum.. Overall our message board is usually pretty quiet. Lets keep it that way. If you have a problem with someone, go to the source and work it out.

10-27-2007, 12:00 PM
I just want to say I agree we should not be bashing each other. The road and dispatch have to work together. My goal every shift is to send all of you home safely and to get help to the people on the other end of the phone. Yes. there are some of us in dispatch that have forgotten that is what our job is all about. I am not there to tell you how to do your job, but do not get mad when we have to ask a question that is required of us per policy.

Marla
10-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Okay, everyone stand down. I'm a dispatcher with CCSO and former LE. Therefore, I have a 'limited' view from both sides of the fence. To the writer who is dissatisfied with procedure: you have the privelege, however, we do not air our dirty laundry on public forum. Assess the problem, evaluate a solution and present it to Admin for approval or denial, anything presented in a mature, detailed and investigated manner will be considered. Let's not turn on each other, we need each other and I am so proud of our deputies and the jobs they do. I can no longer run with the big dogs and am very happy to have them out there protecting the 'porch' I know sit on. Keep up the good work and let's try to reach a solution together. Love you all, Marla.

10-28-2007, 12:02 AM
our dispatcherz are ok

Marla
10-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Dear Get Real,
Easy there, boy, you're going to get all upset and burst into tears if you're not careful. I see those hormone injections you've been taking are kicking in. Since you're taking potshots from behind a pseudonym I'm guessing I must have trampled your delicate feelings somewhere and for that I apologize. Now, please, don't get your nylon panties into a wad, go take a long, hot bubblebath and have some chocolate, you'll feel much better in no time at all.

10-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Do your job and stop trying to be a cop or a boss.

10-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Dude... stop being so rude. Your looking like a whiny baby right now... grow up.

10-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Someone said that our dispatchers suck and that someone is the worst. I work with a great group in dispatch and a great group on the road. I am a little disappointed that someone is saying that. Marla for the record, we love you. For the person who is saying such nasty things, never mind, as they say, not worth it.

10-28-2007, 05:42 PM
They probab;y dont even work for the SHeriff's Office and are just trying to make people feel bad. Marla keep up the good work.

10-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Dont sweat the small stuff Marla. Personally, I like it when you are my dispatcher when I am working. That putz has no idea what he(or she) is talking about. There are a couple I dont care much for, but in general they are still ok as far as I am concerned.

Plank
10-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Is anyone else thinking that “guest” who is posting all the negative comments on this site is one lone individual? If you look at the date/time stamp for the posts on 10/27/07 they are all under sixty seconds of each other. Looks like “guest” doesn’t have much of a personal life and gets a lot of enjoyment out of trashing everyone else. Could “guest” be lacking the social skills of most normal people? Sounds like he has some pent up aggression and definitely has nothing nice to say about women. His girlfriend probably has a PSI rating instead of a name. If “guest” is employed by any law enforcement agency, how did he pass the psych exam? Now we can all sit back and await his response because it appears he has little self control and it’s quite easy to bait him.

P.S. WE LOVE YOU MARLA!!!!!

10-29-2007, 01:57 AM
Where did all this backstabbing come from? This board was relatively quiet for a long time, now all the gossiping starts. I don't get it, but I'm thinking it has to be one or two people over and over again.

Marla, your great... don't listen to this crazy malcontent. He/She needs to go to a different agency (if they even work here at all) if they want to act that way because personally I've enjoyed the Sheriff's Office lately because everyone gets along well that I talk too on a daily basis.

People that breed discontent need not be here flaming the nearly nonexistant fires. This is not High School, we are all adults. At least most of us are. We all need to go to work, do our jobs, and do our darnest to go home to our families at night. Our goal should be to work together to accomplish that, not to spew negative thoughts around, and get people down about their jobs. NO ONE wants to come to work in that atmosphere, and those negative feelings will definately bleed into your family lives.

Dispatch you do a good job... and I KNOW that you don't get a choice in a lot of the things you do, either under pressure by SOP's or supervision. If I was going to complain about ANYTHING, it would be that I rarely have a phone book in my back pocket.. BUT I know that you guys would give us that info if you didn't have someone breathing down your necks....Have no fear, we love you!!!!!! (and your chocolate/candy you frequently have up there) :)