PDA

View Full Version : Here's ONE reason Council has to fix my pension Now!

07-29-2006, 09:48 PM
House Passes Overhaul Of Nation's Pension Laws

By JIM ABRAMS The Associated Press

Published: Jul 29, 2006

WASHINGTON - The House approved an ambitious overhaul of the nation's pension laws late Friday, hoping to prolong the traditional employer-based pension plans relied upon by millions while also promoting new savings options and protecting the government from future taxpayer bailouts.

The reforms in the bill "represent the most sweeping changes to America's pension laws in more than 30 years," said House Majority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio.

He said the bill "will ensure that workers and retirees can continue to count on their hard-earned pension benefits."

The 279-131 vote came only hours before the House was expected to begin a five-week summer break.

The legislation now moves to the Senate, which is expected to take it up next week before it departs for its August recess, sending it to the president for his signature.

The 900-page pension bill, the product of several years of congressional effort, would force employers that have fallen behind in their defined-benefit pension payments to catch up within seven years and close loopholes that have allowed companies to underfund their plans by an estimated $450 billion.

The measure also promotes pension alternatives, such as 401(k) plans, through such steps as automatic enrollment. It would give financial firms greater latitude in steering investors toward high-earning savings programs.

The legislation would give airlines that have frozen their pension plans, Northwest Airlines Corp. and Delta Air Lines, an additional 10 years to meet pension obligations. American and Continental, the only two major airlines with active defined-benefit plans, would get an extra three years.

The fear is that if they abandon their plans - Delta is already seeking to terminate its pilot pensions - it will add billions in deficit to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp., which already has amassed a deficit of $22.8 billion.

"If passed, the airline provision currently before the Congress will save Northwest Airlines employees' hard-earned pension benefits," the airlines said in a statement.

The PBGC now operates on premiums and interest earnings, but a big jump in the deficit could shift its burden onto taxpayers. The agency takes over benefit payments for terminated plans.

The pension bill aims to strengthen and improve the financial status of single-employer and multiemployer plans covering some 44 million Americans.

It also would give legal certainty to future cash balance and other "hybrid" defined-benefit plans. Such plans have faced lawsuits over charges they discriminate against older workers.

Pension plans that are less than 80 percent funded would not be allowed to increase benefits during contract negotiations. Companies with plans at risk or in bankruptcy would be restricted in increasing executive compensation.

The legislation also gives financial firms that manage investment plans rights to offer advice to people with 401(k) and IRA plans. Advocates argued that individual investors today often don't have access to good advice, while critics questioned whether portfolio managers might give biased advice.

The legislation comes at a time when more companies are opting to scale back or eliminate defined-benefit plans.

Q. With the multi-million dollar unfunded liabilty that defines St. Petersburg Fire & Rescue's pension plan, why does the majority of this article look great yet the two paragraphs highlighted in red potentially spell disaster for us?

A. Because this city has no respect for it's Public Safety Professionals. Those same Professionals will now bear the burden of the City of St. Petersburg's past crimes!

This is serious stuff for a serious city. How did we ever get to where we are?

FD Bro'

Lawman
07-30-2006, 01:55 AM
I seriously worry about the city going bankrupt and defaulting on our pensions, it is a very real possibility...

07-30-2006, 02:09 AM
FD Bro you got to be joking. First, the article deals with companies and not cities. Check with your fire pension board members I'm sure they can explain to you about your pension. You worry for no reason. Also you should start a fire board that way you can staff off ours.

07-30-2006, 02:20 AM
"FD Bro you got to be joking. First, the article deals with companies and not cities. Check with your fire pension board members I'm sure they can explain to you about your pension. You worry for no reason. Also you should start a fire board that way you can staff off ours."

You're probably right. Like yourself, after I read the 900 page report this evening, I found that the PD and FD of this city are out of the woods! We're good as gold.

FD Bro's found a common enemy in this city's administration and you're going to throw rocks at him?

Tsk, tsk...

07-30-2006, 03:40 PM
The old "foot in the door" trick. The turds that control what happens in this city are waiting and salivating for the day that they can apply the highlighted verbage in "Bro's" post to a bill covering public employees. It doesn't have to do with just Firefighters and Police Officers even though you think you're the most persecuted groups on planet earth. All you people do is whine and ***** but you never do anything positive that would make things better. You leave and then tell the world how good you have it somewhere else. Lame. When the firefighters and police officers of the People's Republic of St. Petersburg finally find a way to light a fire under their own asses and do something positive to change the current conditions ... ... it'll be a cold day in hell.

Lawman
07-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Those who have "tried to make a positive change" were railroaded right out of a job. Believe me, there are enough backstabbers and do-boys around this place to ensure that a thorn in the colalition's side is soon pulled out.

All it takes is to have a couple of people make up a story--Oh, I heard so and so use the N-word and that's it, you are fired and you'll never get a job in law enforcement again. No one is willing to take that chance.

07-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Like I have said time and time again, LEAVE. I did and you can too.

Lawman
07-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Some of us have too much time in to start all over again. We're trapped!

07-31-2006, 03:54 AM
Who you think you're fooli?

City council could care less! You gots ta fix it yourself, run!

The rate at which the educated citizens are fleeing should tell you something......

Yeah, I know.... you have a lot of time invested.... but do this next thing for YOU. Otherwise, you can ride and see how much worse it will get, or possibly burn to death because two of you went in instead of 8.....