PDA

View Full Version : c.o.p.s. deputies

07-26-2006, 05:16 PM
does your department still have neighborhood c.o.p.s. deputies. i never see them in my neighborhood anymore. i asked a deputy if they were still around and she told me that they were probably sitting at the substation or busy running personal errands. we miss them being there.

07-27-2006, 03:11 AM
COPS Deputies haven't worked their areas for years. They get together and try to do some Secret Squirrel stuff, but end up just wasting time. The COPS in the old Ridge District used to sit in the new subdivisions on 27 and play video games all day. I think they stopped when the house next door to them was broken into.

07-29-2006, 04:46 PM
not all cops deputies are flunkies and lazy. There are a FEW that you can rely on to be in their cops sectors but I think alot of the reason their not seen is because of the supervisors pulling them to do other things instead like the other guest said, the "Secret Squirrel" stuff which happens all the time and the ones getting screwed is patrol who have to take up their slack. :x

07-31-2006, 06:53 PM
lets be honest. the cops program is a big joke. the cops deputies are getting paid for doing little or nothing. these bums go to c.o.p.s. because they cant handle the demands and workload in patrol. they are basically lazy. c.o.p.s. needs to be disbanded and these members need to be put back on shifts. those that cant perform can then be weeded out. the way things are now lowers morale big time.

08-01-2006, 12:57 AM
COPS and ECHO are not utilized like they were designed to do. Cops were to stay in their area and know who was what. Like what city cops do. Only ones I see that do the best of that is Florence Villa and A deputy in Wahneta. The rest wouldnt know the teakettle from the pot. All they want to do is search for dope and harrass people. Its funny when I go into an area and they all go WHEW its not so and so. Ive actually gotten more information out of the community then the COPS deputies.

Echo was designed to help the detectives with spikes of crimes, however, all they do is traffic stops and search for dope (COPS) or go search warrants (Warrants units) I dont know about NW, I never see any if they have any at all. SW all go in a cluster, we can save gas if we put them in one to two cars instead of 6. NE is the same as SW and SE are in clicks in certain areas.

08-01-2006, 06:25 AM
Exactly. The COPS deputies in Central weren't all that bad, but they usually didn't answer calls in the CC areas at all. The Ridge COPS deputies were the absolute worst. With one exception, they never answered calls in their areas. There was actually an incident when they were supposed to be staking out vacation rentals in Calabay Parc, and they were all jerking around instead. One of the houses right near their position was broken into while they were there.

08-07-2006, 04:06 PM
It is very sad to see these types of comments posted on here. I have worked in COPS at PCSO and at another agency. It is the same crap being said. The biggest problem is that patrol doesn't see the COPS deputies and do not know what they are doing so they think the COPS deputies must be lazy and slacking. What they do not know is how much BS the COPS deputies get assigned. These assignments come from above, like from the Captain or Major, so go cry to them.

The patrol deputies should stop all the crying because their JOB is to answer calls for service. That is there #1 task, so do it and shut up. If you don't like that, then transfer somewhere else.

08-07-2006, 05:23 PM
FIRST AND FOREMOST, COPS ARE NOT ASSIGNED TO ANSWER CALLS. THEY ARE ASSIGNED TO MAKE COMMUNITY CONTACTS, INVESTIGATE ONGOING CRIME PROBLEMS, HANDLE COMMUNITY CONCERNS, AND ATTEND COMMUNITY EVENTS ON BEHALF OF THE SHERIFF. ON TOP OF THOSE DUTIES WE ARE ALSO GIVEN ALL THE JOBS THAT THE OTHER D/S CAN'T DO BECAUSE THEY ARE ANSWERING CALLS LIKE VERIFYING SEXUAL OFFENDERS/PREDATORS FOR THE ENTIRE DISTRICT ONCE A QUARTER, CLEANING THE SUBSTATION, GETTING THE COMMUNTIY ROOM READY FOR MEETINGS, ATTENDING COMMUNITY EVENTS ALL OVER THE COUNTY AS WELL AS FUNDRAISING FOR THE DIFFERENT CHARITABLE AREAS. CALL ANSWERING IS THE LAST THING COPS ARE ASSIGNED TO DO. IF YOU DON'T LIKE TAKING CALLS, MAYBE YOU ALL SHOULD CONSIDER GETTING OUT OF PATROL SINCE THAT IS YOUR PRIMARY DUTY! BUT I SERIOUS DOUBT YOU'D BE READY TO GIVE UP YOUR CAKE 14 DAYS A MONTH SCHEDULE FOR A SCHEDULE THAT CHANGES WEEKLY BECAUSE OF COMMUNITY EVENTS ASSIGNED BY THE SHERIFF.

08-07-2006, 05:39 PM
I think it's a real shame that you all are hating on COPS D/S.. And also if you have a problem with any of us, say it to our face, don't hide on here with all your *****in.... Funny, if you are so sick of answering calls, put in for a different position. I have seen a ton of job openings lately. Maybe the reason you are still *****in is cause no one wants you anywhere else cause you are slackers and don't belong in a specialty unit. I am assigned to COPS and I am NOT afraid to take a call, I actually like taking calls, and when I am not doing community stuff that is EXACTLY what I am doing. My unit takes calls in every COPS area regardless if it's our assigned area. And like a few others have said, also if you don't like it go talk to the Captains, Majors and above, they are the ones assigning us to the different community events. WE are the ones listening to all the community members complain monthly and having to help them with their problems, regardless of what they are. WE are the ones out there trying to make a difference with the kids today so they don't grow up to hate the Police and grow up to be like the bad influences they are constantly around. I could go on and on about my job but I know I don't have to defend myself because I do as I am supposed to per my job title and supervisors. If you all wanna come work our jacked up schedule come on, I surely don't see many people putting in for our positions so enjoy Patrol and stop hating on your co-workers because GUESS WHAT?? You might need us as back up one day and vice versa, what a shame we can't all get along....

08-09-2006, 02:31 PM
ouch! looks like some c.o.p.s. deputies were offended here. perhaps they were offended because the truth hurts. and they went right back to hiding behind the same old rhetoric about how their job is about community contacts, events, etc..... there is absolutely no better way to get to know the citizens in your c.o.p.s. area than by answering the calls from within and finding out what the true problems are. but again, that means leaving the substation and actually going into your c.o.p.s. area.........

08-09-2006, 03:11 PM
I have noticed SW street crime guys tend to be joined at the hip. I don't think all of them are like that... I think one of them doesn't like to be by himself.

08-10-2006, 03:28 AM
COPS Deputies have a designated function as do detectives,
agricultural, traffic, etc..... I feel safe to assume those who bashed the COPS Deputies also complain when they have to work a crash or herd a cow. Speciality units are not always available to respond to all their calls. That is when partol Deputies must step in and take up the slack. It saddens me that fellow Deputies go on a public website and have such harsh things to say to each other. We need to spend more time speaking to each other and less time *****ing about what the other guy is doing or not doing.

08-10-2006, 12:46 PM
lets be honest. the cops program is a big joke. the cops deputies are getting paid for doing little or nothing. these bums go to c.o.p.s. because they cant handle the demands and workload in patrol. they are basically lazy. c.o.p.s. needs to be disbanded and these members need to be put back on shifts. those that cant perform can then be weeded out. the way things are now lowers morale big time.

I bet you are the Deputy that is a career back up unit to make it look like your busy. You let your zone partner take all the report calls. I'm sure you would not think of taking a call in a sector not assigned to you. So what if that Deputy is being slammed with calls. Your supervisor gets on the radio all the time to ask your status because you don't answer up for calls and he asks when your going to clear the call that you are milking. What do you do on your down time, lets see, COMPLAIN! Try initiating some activety instead. Look at youself before criticizng other Deputies.

08-10-2006, 10:00 PM
I think it is a little unfair to lump all COPS D/S together. Much like the rest of our agency, there are good and bad. The real problem is with the implementation of the COPS program. There should be 2 COPS assigned to each area. This would allow them to cover more time and more issues related to their community.

COPS could and should be a great thing, it just needs more resources.

08-11-2006, 04:39 AM
Well, it's interesting to see such a defensive response from the COPS deputies. At least it's a response. I used to work Central and the Ridge. Central COPS was ok when they were around, Ridge COPS were nonexistent. The people in the CE areas didn't even know who the deputies were anymore. Does that help them get to know the community and help them solve problems? They all got together in "secret squirrel" style to watch for residential burglars in the north Davenport US 27 area and got absolutely nothing done. A house was broken into near their surveillance post in Calabay Parc, and noone got in trouble for that. I had to drop what I was doing and answer calls in CE1 and CE2 while the COPS deputies sat around the Ridge Substation doing nothing. Our shift had to use an old radar unit that worked half the time, and the COPS unit got a brand new handheld radar, a thumbprint scanner, and a DL reader. None of this equipment was ever used by them, but they refused to give it up. I worked in Central and The Ridge and turned down a detective spot in NW before I left the agency. I can't speak for the COPS units on the West side, but on the East side they could all called in sick and we never would have noticed.

08-13-2006, 09:48 PM
the post that listed the multitude of duties that are forced on c.o.p.s. deputies by supervisors failed to include: frequent trips to supply, fleet, human resources, i.t., etc. there is absolutely no way that you can convince me that these are necessary trips. these are more ways that c.o.p.s. deputies use to get out of having to go to their c.o.p.s. area and working. i agree with the previous post that stated that answering calls in your assigned c.o.p.s. area is the best way to get to know your community....and not just "papa" and "alpha" calls. how about a "lima" call for a change?

08-14-2006, 11:18 AM
That happened once when I was on the Ridge. S21 on CR54 that was near where the COPS deputies were screwing around in Loughman somewhere. I was coming from Lake Wales and they wouldn't speak up until my Sgt. told them to take it. Only time I heard a COPS unit clear a call with 1098L.

08-15-2006, 01:28 AM
It is amazing how the only time we all get together and agree is due to the lack of COPS and Echo performances, or should I say lack there of. Granted, they do functions that patrol doesnt do, golf tournaments, predators, and christmas functions, HOWEVER, o, o, I forgot, echo's great at ticking the community off so when patrol gets there, the people have been pushed around that they are very anti-helpful to patrol. A dope search on a major roadway because of a headlight out?? Come on. But what upsets me the most is there are 5 'communities' in a district and they all congregrate to one community on one call when they ARENT busy and all are enroute from the same destinations, the substation. It takes one patrol unit to answer a call but it takes them 3 to 4. Traffic unit doesnt do to much, they are right there with the Echo and COPs. Only time you see them take a call is if they are told to.

NotsoOld Cop
08-15-2006, 07:49 PM
I've been a cop a long time. One of the first lessons I learned was that most people grow old, without ever growing up. I guess that's true for cops too, sadly. And griping and moaning about what other units do or don't do, in your opinion, is a sad use of these message boards. I'm in COP's, and I can tell you that we do a lot more than you realize. We establish, and run multiple community programs, hold/attend regular meetings with a number of community groups, organize community functions, and whatever else the job requires of us. We don't complain when we have to handle calls outside the COP's areas, which is pretty often. So why can't you just do your job without complaining. Everyone seems to think that they work harder than everyone else, when in fact, none of us hurts ourselves. This isn't a hard job, and we get paid pretty darn well for what we do. Do you think you'd have it so good in the private sector? Think again. It seems to be human nature, that people usually have the strongest opinions about those things they know the least about. That's sad to see from people in our own profession. If you think COP's and ECHO don't pull their weight, come ride with us sometime. Or better yet, put in for the next opening...unless you're afraid of real work.

[/b][/i]

08-19-2006, 04:24 PM
I think the Wahneta and Eloise COPS depuites ar 10-8 and if you check their stats, against the other COPS deputies you'll see they don't dodge calls.

08-20-2006, 03:52 AM
Stats don't make you a good D/S, COPS D/S or any kind of Deputy contrary to your belief. Us COPS D/S that are actually off probation and have more than a year of road experience will take you Wahneta and Eloise guys on any day.. We take calls, get stats and work with our communities and they love us for it.. :)

08-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Well, with all that being said, If any of you have a problem, why not just man up and discuss it face to face. Stop hiding behind this message board!

08-22-2006, 01:24 AM
Wow, there is an incredible amount of animosity in this forum. Last time I checked we all work for the same agency and have the same mission statement. I am a COPS D/S in the community of Eloise, if you have negative comments about the COPS deputies in Wahneta or Eloise; that's fine you have a right to your opinion, but at least stop hiding in this forum. I can speak for myself and the two wahneta deputies, we are by no means lazy or "bums", take calls inside and outside of our assigned COPS areas. I take great pride in my job and enjoy working with the deputies in the S/E district.

08-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Hey! This is kind of off the subject, but I got a question. I heard one of the COP's deputies in SE is a pagan. Does anybody know her, or just what a pagan is? I googled it, but came up with a lot of different stuff. Since I wasn't sure what I was looking for, it didn't help much.

08-23-2006, 12:12 AM
I know her, she's an awesome person and does not put her personal business into her professional business. It is a belief similiar to witchcraft. You now know. She's an awesome person of knowledge and she's one of the FEW females that I trust to back my butt up on a 1008 call.

08-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Wow! I bet she'd be interesting to talk to. I had a friend in college who was into that, but I didn't know any cops who were. From what little I know, it's not at all like what people think. Thanks!

NotsoOld Cop
08-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Gee, I don't know what to say. You guys are talking about me.
THANK YOU to the deputy who spoke so highly of me. I'm honored and deeply touched. As for the deputy who asked...Yes, I'm Pagan. If you were curious, now you know. If you are interested and have questions, then get with me off-list, off duty. If you knew to ask about the female SE COP's deputy, then you know who I am. I don't involve my personal life with my profession, so I'll talk to you off duty. If I don't have the answers you're looking for, I can certainly point you in the right direction. Take care, and be safe.

08-25-2006, 12:15 AM
where can us regular deputies in "the pit" get some "pagan power" so we can avoid calls ? (especially report calls)

a special shame on the washington park/highland manor/waverly
cops deputies. you guys need to back to northeast district and
10-65. you slack daddies know who you are. what a joke.

08-25-2006, 02:58 PM
requirements for s-e cops deputies:

must be able to use the following radio signals and codes without fail-

somewhat important:

1. 10-51 s.o.
2. 10-51 fleet
3. 10-51 human resources
4. 10-51 training
5. 10-51 b.o.c.c.

more important:

1. 10-7 training

most important:

1. 10-7 s78n
2. 10-7 6291

super important:

1. 10-86 10-68

and finally, of greatest importance:

"10-87"

08-25-2006, 05:57 PM
You guys are funny. If you have enough time to worry about what we're doing, then you aren't working as hard as you say you are. Answering calls is the primary function of patrol. It's a secondary function for COP's deputies. If you don't want to do your primary duty, then why are you here? I've been a cop for the better part of 30 years. I've paid my dues, and don't owe anybody any explanations for what we do as a unit. Besides, you don't want to listen anyway. You just want to complain, because it's your nature to be negative. You do know that, by posting at the date and time that you post, you make yourself identifiable...even when you hide behind "guest"? At least I have the nads to let you know who I am. It looks as if most of these negative posts are made by SE Alfa and Bravo shift members. Funny, that Charlie and Delta don't complain about us. Must have something to do with the prevailing mentality on those two shifts. I've worked on both Alfa and Bravo in Se, and I know you guys. Sadly, you're the two most dysfunctional shifts in the entire agency. Half of you don't speak to the other half, because you're always busy trying to jam each other on calls. We listen to you as must as you listen to us, and we hear all the scams you pull on each other. Certain people start doing s33's when it starts to get busy, so they don't have to take calls. You start s35-ing everybody too...to avoid calls. Some of you seem to live at the sub, and you're always on a 1017 while your sector partner is getting hammered with the late afternoon limas. Oh yeah!! And going 1051 to 6291 is a great way of avoiding calls too. You know dispatch won't give you a call as long as you're 1051, or 1017, or 1080 to cic, or s33, or any other excuse to jam your sector buddies with the real work. So while you're so concerned about what the COP's deputies are doing, take a look at yourselves, and how you treat your shift mates.

NotsoOld Cop
08-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Just so you know, the last psot was me.

08-25-2006, 08:15 PM
looks like the so-old-cop is on the defensive.
any deputy or supervisor that has been here a while knows what the truth is. the cops units in s-e should be put on shifts, that way the shift supervisor could make sure they take calls in their cops areas. stop hiding behind all the bogus stuff that you guys supposedly do. maybe the supervisors who are reading this should start checking your monthly stats.
finally, dont assume you know who posts messages on these boards, besides it does not matter. the truth hurts, but deal with it.

NotsoOld Cop
08-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Personal attacks are unacceptible on this site, but if you continue to resort to them, you're only hurting yourselves. There is no "defensive" tone to my posts, just observations. They obviously struck a nerve with someone. As for the comment on supervisors, we don't worry about what you do, or what your supervisors think we do. Patrol supervisors need to concern themselves with patrol functions. Our supervisors know what we do, and they are the only ones we have to please. To put COP's deputies on the shifts, would be the end of the COP's purpose. As I said, answering calls is the primary function of patrol. It's secondary for COP's. But the sad thing with all of this is how this message board is being used. We're all cops. We all have a specific job to do, and we're supposed to be a brother/sisterhood. I'm not seeing that here. In the work that we do, any one of us could die on any given day. That's a fact we all live with, but we spend our time on this board, tearing each other down. We whine that others aren't pulling their load, when we don't have a clue what the other one really does. The enemy is out there,in the streets, not here...or at least, it shouldn't be here. The fact that it is, makes a sad statement about the mindset that cops are developing. It used to be, we could always count on each other. I'm not seeing that here. I refuse to judge all patrol deputies by the few lazy ones I know. Most deputies are good, hard working, honorable men and women. Only a very small percentage are slugs, and they are most likely the ones voicing the loudest complaints here. Most patrol deputies work side-by-side with those of us in COP's and ECHO, because they are smart enough to know that we have other job functions to attend to. Those are the deputies whose opinions I concern myself with, not the whiners I see here.

08-25-2006, 10:04 PM
nothing personal, but the end of the cops program sounds like a great idea. put all you guys and gals back on shifts, get back to the real world.

by the way, why is it that when the two current poinciana cops deputies got wind that a certain lieutenant was coming to the s-e district, why did they both try to bail out of the cops program???

not too hard to figure out.

08-25-2006, 11:26 PM
It had nothing to do with The LT or any supervisor. In fact, the unit they both apply for is supervised by that same LT. So you really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Fish
09-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Patrol supervisors need to concern themselves with patrol functions.

I have to say that I disagree. Patrol supervisors need to concern themselves with the safety of their unit and then with their three little sectors. You as a COPS deputy are their concern if you are inside of their region.

I'm sure that trends affect where a COPS unit is assigned so I think that the COPS supervisors are going to want to know what is going on with Patrol.

NotsoOld Cop
09-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Oh, I completely agree with you, on that issue. But not all of the patrol supervisors are doing that. Their motives aren't to improve PROCAP, or officer safety. It's to foster their belief that the COP's deputies don't do anything. I know of a couple of supervisors who look for reasons to complain daily against the COP's unit. It's as if they have an axe to grind. They don't listen to their own people, or what their own people are doing to each other, but they pay close attention to us. It's as if they don't want to believe that we actually are working. They spend their shift, looking for reasons to complain about us to the captain. If all of them had your sentiments behind their actions, it would work very well. But they don't.

A couple of weeks ago, one of the COP's deputies needed s35 1018. He asked for another COP's deputy, because it didn't occur to him to just ask for help. He knows how patrol feels about us, so he asked for someone that he knew would come. The closest COP's unit was in Winter Haven at 1100 (he was in Wahneta). It wasn't until the COP's sergeant asked if a patrol unit was closer, that one spoke up in Eagle Lake. You can't argue that that is OK. I know that supervision is monitoring this website, and I know that we aren't supposed to "get personal" or point out any specific shift, person, or whatever. But that was unacceptible. When a law enforcement officer needs help, how can anyone not respond? I don't understand the new mentality of officers these days. From what I have seen over the years, the "brotherhood" is no more. It's every man for himself now. It's very, very sad to me, because this isn't the profession I came into so humbly 30 years ago. There are some officers who still feel that sense of loyalty to each other, but we are a dying breed.

And I'm not picking on the deputy who was in Eagle Lake. What I'm saying is that NO ONE spoke up. There used to be a time, everyone would drop what they were doing, and come running. If we were on a call that we could break away from, we did it. We knew that we could always go back and finish it after we helped our buddy. When was the last time you heard a deputy do that. They get on the call, and they don't feel a responsibility to leave for ANY reason, until they get done. There is no sense of "watching each others backs" anymore. It's lost, and I can't tell you how to get it back. The new folks coming into this profession don't have the same mindset that we live with. To be honest, I feel for them and their futures. This is a tough profession. Without the bond of brotherhood (and sisterhood), they will be lost. You must feel joy in your work, especially if it's a job that could someday take your life. The joy comes from the bond you share with the only people who truly know what you deal with everyday. But that connection is fading. I worry for them in the years to come.

07-17-2007, 03:07 AM
c.o.p.s deputy's are the backbone of this agency and they are my hero's and anyone who disagree with me suck so bad!!!!!!

07-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Why? Cause they like to play with the little kiddies like you? LMAO

07-18-2007, 04:22 AM
Aardvarks

07-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Lets face it the cops unit is the sheriffs personal do boys

07-27-2007, 04:39 AM
Why you gotta talk about Aardarks? We can be very dangerous creatures when provoked.

12-15-2007, 08:10 PM
there are still cops deputies around.....? no.........really......there are?