PDA

View Full Version : MANATEE SHERIFF'S DEPUTY SHOT

07-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Posted Wedneday, 7/26/6, 11:30 a.m.

BRADENTON, Florida [NMT] -- Lt. Todd Shear, a member of Manatee County Sheriff's Office SWAT team was shot in the hand and neck today sometime between 10 and 11 a.m. He was taken to a local hospital. His condition is unknown.

The team was serving a search warrant, reportedly for narcotics.

A perimeter has been set up in the vicinity of 4700 27th Street West where the incident occurred and deputies are actively searching for one or more suspects.

NewsManatee will have the full story tomorrow; possibly more today.

07-27-2006, 11:51 AM
God bless you and your family, Stay strong ....
EPHESIANS 6:10-17

Sean Kennedy
PASCO SO

07-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Yes thank God nothing real serious. Hope he recovers fast.

But who had outside containment? No one should have gotton away if it was done right.

07-27-2006, 07:14 PM
The residence had great outside containment. The person that got away was outside when we arrived and saw us coming, then ran. He was no threat. The real threat were the guys inside. Don't armchair quarterback. You weren't there. Thanks

1600paave
07-27-2006, 07:40 PM
My best wishes for a speedy recovery. Anybody that has been through the door knows it could have been alot worse. I'm certain that the entry was executed well with all related containment considerations covered.

*former 11 year team member

07-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Thank God it was not a more serious injury to TS. I hope he recovers quickly. I don't mean to second guess the team that was involved, but why was this a$$hole only shot in the leg?

07-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Thank God it was not a more serious injury to TS. I hope he recovers quickly. I don't mean to second guess the team that was involved, but why was this a$$hole only shot in the leg?

Hitting a live target in the middle of a CQB is harder then it looks on TV.

07-28-2006, 12:20 AM
There could be many reasons he was only shot in the leg, if you are a police officer with firearms training then I’m sure you know the intent was not for the leg. I believe you are trained to shoot center mass. This would lead a reasonable officer to believe something beyond their control had happened. Now, there are many of you who will sit back and analyze tactics used, question discussions made and wonder what would you do if you were in Lieutenant Shears shoes after being shot. After you are sitting in your nice comfy chair and you run this through your mind and you now have imagined yourself as a hero because you not only got shot but you were able to shoot and kill the suspect, you know that’s what you are thinking. Here is what I say to you, until you have gone through that door first the only hero you will ever be is in your imagination and you will always sit on the sidelines and question decisions made and actions taken. I will tell you, if they had tactically messed up, several SWAT team members would have been killed. Although the injury occurred, his training saved his life. Excellent Job guys. Former but always a member. ALEA IACTA EST

07-28-2006, 01:44 AM
Well said. After the reveiw all i can say is I'm proud to serve with each and every member on the team. They all did what they were trained to do. The shooting started and each man maintained his area of responsibility, trusting the operator behind them to do their job.

ALEA IACTA EST

07-28-2006, 01:55 AM
Yes thank God nothing real serious. Hope he recovers fast.

But who had outside containment? No one should have gotton away if it was done right.

Sounds like you (think) you know what your talking about. NOT.
As any team does, you stop shy of the target house and approach. People outside saw us comming and notified others. The runner was gone before we got 2 houses from the target house. He had nothing to do with the shooting and for all we know he was never inside the house. Find somebody to say he came from within, and you will find a liar.

07-28-2006, 02:30 AM
I wish you a speedy recovery Deputy! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

07-28-2006, 12:39 PM
god bless you t.s. and everyone else on the team. anyone who would 2nd guess or arm chair quarter back what you guys did doesn't know shit about tactical operations. I wish you a speedy recovery. stay safe MSO and keep up the good work

07-28-2006, 12:39 PM
"An armed and dangerous reputed crack dealer escaped during a raid on a duplex because SWAT members were too slow to cover the back door, Manatee County Sheriff Charlie Wells said Thursday"

07-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Once again, no one other SWAT and SID members were there. The Sheriff (if he even said that, because we all no how reliable newspapers are) wasn't there and was given speculative information that had been passed around several times. He said what he probably thought was the correct information but those of you who are LEO's know that the first story isn't always the correct story. Leave it be and thank God it didn't turn out worse for T.S.

1600paave
07-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Once again, no one other SWAT and SID members were there. The Sheriff (if he even said that, because we all no how reliable newspapers are) wasn't there and was given speculative information that had been passed around several times. He said what he probably thought was the correct information but those of you who are LEO's know that the first story isn't always the correct story. Leave it be and thank God it didn't turn out worse for T.S.

The Manatee County press is famous for getting it wrong. You can recite the alphabet from A to Z and they will report you counted from 1 to 10. Believe them at your own peril.

I'm certain, having been a member, that the team conducted a textbook, no sh*t, high risk entry on a group of armed barricaded subjects.

07-28-2006, 05:13 PM
THE GUY GOT AWAY, SO WHAT
AT LEAST SHEAR WILL BE ABLE TO GET HIM ON ANOTHER DAY THAT IS WHAT COUNTS.
OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU LT.

07-28-2006, 06:00 PM
BRADENTON -- An armed and dangerous reputed crack dealer escaped during a raid on a duplex because SWAT members were too slow to cover the back door, Manatee County Sheriff Charlie Wells said Thursday.

But Wells defended the shooting Wednesday of an unarmed man who was crouching in a bedroom near where Lt. Todd Shear, a veteran deputy and SWAT member, was shot in the hand and neck.

Shear, 34, was released from Manatee Memorial Hospital on Thursday morning.

Wells -- who acknowledged that a layer of confusion clouded an investigation of the shootout -- said the deputy who shot Arnell Elrod saw a weapon near the 22-year-old and thought he was the shooter.

Wells said the SWAT team failed to close off all of the escape routes because lookouts screamed to people inside the duplex when deputies arrived.

"They just didn't get there in time," Wells said.

07-28-2006, 07:46 PM
I am certainly not trying to take anything away from the good job that SWAT did, but did anyone think to recognize the Westside dispatcher IN TRAINING who was working when all this went down???? Great job and I think you are an asset to the agency, thanks!!!!!

P.S. Get well LT.

07-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Big deal. One ran off upon approach. Sometimes you can't catch them all without risking safety and/or loosing those that you have detained.

To the teams that were there, great job!

07-28-2006, 08:18 PM
If thats what happens with 3 months of planning. Can you even imagine if it was something that had to be executed quickly!! It would have been a disaster.

07-29-2006, 12:45 AM
THIS WOULD NOT HAPPED TO BE THE SAME 2W** THAT HAS BEEN REPEATEDLY TOLD TO GO INTO HIS ZONE, TAKE AT LEAST ONE CALL IN HIS ZONE A DAY, AND NOT JUST DRIVE UP AND DOWN US 41 AND 53 AVE FOR 12 HOURS IS IT. HMMMMMM

07-29-2006, 02:06 AM
Hey 2W**, when you get a little more experience you will realize just how little you know right now. Now keep your comments to yourself before the rest of the public that reads this board thinks we are all as ignorant as you. :wink:

07-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Just because SWAT was "too slow to cover the back door" does not mean they did anything wrong. Having been on many raids throught out the years I can tell you that it almost never goes the way you planned it and that is why you have alternate plans. Too slow to cover the back door may be true but not necesarrily a criticism, only a fact. Basically what I'm saying, if you want to be there and have the right to say something about the SWAT team operation, get off your butt and try out for the team.

Good job MSO and god bless.

Stay safe guys and salute to you and me and those like us.

07-30-2006, 01:09 AM
If thats what happens with 3 months of planning. Can you even imagine if it was something that had to be executed quickly!! It would have been a disaster.

First off, you're an ASS!!

Until you gear up and go throught the door don't armchair quarterback.

"Those that can,do, Those that can't, second guess"

07-30-2006, 10:30 AM
To "Team Member" Way to go.

Keep the faith brother...............

07-30-2006, 08:23 PM
I am certainly not trying to take anything away from the good job that SWAT did, but did anyone think to recognize the Westside dispatcher IN TRAINING who was working when all this went down???? Great job and I think you are an asset to the agency, thanks!!!!!

P.S. Get well LT.

OH GEESH, always wanting to be recognized.

07-30-2006, 10:15 PM
As for the person who is questioning the three month investigation, I think someone knows you as (2W**) ? if this is true and they do know you and the type of worker you are doing out there, well your comments here are probably only to take some heat off your ass. Now for the investigation, almost every warrant people run and sometimes they get away, these are usually the people who are outside being lookouts. I don’t believe anyone can put that subject who ran inside the residence in question, just another lookout that ran. I do believe there were six (6) that is a bigger number then one (1), so lets look at this again 6 were arrested for armed trafficking who we know for sure without a doubt were inside the residence with guns and drugs. Did I mention there were 8 guns loaded ready to go, so instead of getting on SWAT & SID think about how you would handle that situation if the neighbors call for a marked unit and you walked in on this group, you want me to tell you? You would be DEAD. You want to know why, because it would have been a long day and you had this same call many times with no one home, but when you got to this house on this particular day you pulled your marked car right in front of the residence (because it was hot), you now see the same person running from the back yard and in your infinite wisdom you chase him down the side of the house, what happens next is you have alerted the six (6) drug dealers inside because the guy outside did his job and got you to chase him. Wow, you’re in the back yard now because you really thought in your mind you were going to catch the runner and that’s his job just to run. What comes next is what happens when you hurry and are careless, you have the six dealers come running out and light you up like a Christmas tree, you know they would have because look what they tried with a well trained team and a three month investigation. I will now tell you all, please be careful and don’t be lazy and be smart, use the training you do have and remember someone running from a scene may not always be what it appears to be.

07-31-2006, 01:56 AM
First off, best wishes and a speedy recovery to LT TS, I hope all is well. Second, Great job MSO SWAT. Those who are not SWAT will always second guess what is played out inside a house of hostility. Sounds like you guys executed your entry well and nabbed a bunch of scumbags....most of all you all went home, maybe a little battered an banged up but upright and breathing. I look forward to the day that the walls between our hire ups is toppled and we can do some co-training. BPD SWAT has your back anytime as that we know that you would have ours, best wishes guys and go get'em.....SOLUM NAM IPSEMET

CTFUUU
08-02-2006, 01:27 PM
BIG UPS to MSO SWAT members for doing their job, thanks you guys!!! Thank You GOD for looking out for all of them and not allowing the situation to have been worse! Speedy recovery to you TS, his angel sits on your shoulder.