PDA

View Full Version : VPD drug raid gone bad

07-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Drug raid compromised by advance notice from within police department

A raid of known drug dealers in the Sea Jay Apartments in April came up empty as the suspects had advance knowledge that the cops were coming

-- John Patten, 07/21/06
-- jpatten@veniceflorida.com

On April 3 of this year, officers from the Venice Police Department, armed with a search warrant, raided an apartment in the Sea Jay Apartment complex on Barbara Drive. Officers had been advised that drugs and weapons would likely be found. The police already had solid information that drugs were being sold from the apartment, specifically Oxycontin.

The raid produced nothing -- no weapons, no drugs. Then something odd happened. One of the suspects stated that the reason the cops came up empty in the raid was because the dealers knew that the cops were coming.

That comment sparked an internal investigation into Sgt. Ralph Adrian, who had reportedly tipped the department's hand to the subjects of the investigation prior to the raid.

The internal investigation, which was concluded last month, determined that Adrian did indeed give out advance notice of the raid to the suspects. Ironically, the internal investigation report notes that Adrian was the lead officer in the raid and briefed the other officers prior to the raid, this with the full knowledge that the suspects already knew of the impending raid.

Adrian, as noted in the report, disappeared during the raid. Investigators wrote that Adrian could come up with no satisfactory explanation for his whereabouts during the raid: "Sgt. Adrian made the VPD officer assignments for this raid and he was the VPD uniform command officer present for the raid briefing. By standard protocol for these types of situations, Sgt. Adrian should have been present at the scene of the raid. Given this, one wonders where Sgt. Adrian was when the raid went down and what he was doing that was more important than raid site sergeant duties... his absence at the raid was highly unusual and without adequate justification or explanation."

In his defense, Adrian told investigators that his warning to the suspects was a bit of fatherly advice to a young woman.

Adrian further stated that there are drugs in every apartment in the City of Venice, a statement that caused the investigative report writer no small amount of indignation. When Adrian later tried to justify that statement by saying that he was referring to all drugs, not just illegal ones, the report writer went ballistic: "The statement... is not only an insult to the population of Venice and the taxpayers who pay Sgt. Adrian's wages, it is a gross mischaracterization of what Sgt. Adrian was, in fact, referring to, namely illicit drugs. ...in an effort to dispel culpability of whitewashing by Sgt. Adrian, another act of whitewashing has been committed therein."

The investigation report concluded that Adrian's actions compromised an investigation and placed the safety and welfare of his fellow officers in serious jeopardy.

As punishment, Adrian was given a four-day suspension.

This article can be found at:
http://venfl.com/features/seajayraid.htm
and the copy of the IA report can be found at: http://venfl.com/features/pdf/seajayraid.pdf

07-22-2006, 07:51 PM
I kinda wish you hadn't reprinted the ENTIRE article for obvious reasons. Excerpts would have been OK along with a link to the original article (you did give a link, so...).

I'm just sayin'...

Please do not shoot the man at the keyboard. I do not own any Kevlar (sp?).

07-22-2006, 08:06 PM
The article made me very sad. :? :cry:

Jack Mehoff
07-22-2006, 08:40 PM
I like that last line...."John Patten is the head of Web Operations for Creative Pages, and has worked in broadcasting for over 12 years. He can also be incredibly rude at times."

07-23-2006, 04:58 PM
The guy should have been fired---if not busted to Officer or better yet civilian

07-23-2006, 05:08 PM
I hope VPD took this to the SAO first for a review before Administrative charges. What he did was a crime and the PD cannot decide not to prosecute only the SAO can.
I have serious problems with VPD if they did not get a decline first. They would probable get a decline but you got to do it the right way.

07-23-2006, 05:22 PM
I understand that he gave his two weeks notice and is seeking employment with SSO. I wonder if the Sheriff will hire him.

07-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Ralph Adrian is a criminal in a uniform and was exposed by other VPD officers. We are going through major readjustment please know none of us are not like Ralph Adrian. Ralph Adrian endangered fellow police officers and deputies lives in a raid he knew firearms would be. God forbid a cop was shot or killed as a result of Ralph Adrian telling criminals of our plans! Ralph Adrian should have been fired but we don't live in a perfect world. Its better this way because Ralph Adrian would probably sue VPD if Ralph Adrian was fired, and probably use the same witness against us. This charge was only one of many over the years but this time Ralph Adrian was punished because the new chief has a brain. REMEMBER RALPH ADRIAN ENDANGERED POLICE OFFICERS LIVES! Good luck Ralph Adrian at your new job at SSO!

07-23-2006, 06:03 PM
I understand that he gave his two weeks notice and is seeking employment with SSO. I wonder if the Sheriff will hire him.Now that all of this has been exposed in public, no, he won't get hired.

07-23-2006, 06:18 PM
The paparazi love me!

http://www.venicegondolier.com/NewsArchive3/072306/vn5.htm

07-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Did anyone else think that the IA doc seemed a bit more like a personal attack than a factual statement of the writers findings?

My guess is that he had a slip of the tongue and someone seized on it to blast him for whatever personal reasons they might have against him...

Then again, I dont know the players involved. I really dont know squat about the issue. It just seemed like a personal attack.

07-23-2006, 07:35 PM
he should of been fired and criminal charges filed, unreal.. :x

07-26-2006, 12:17 PM
He will get hired at SSO! Just look at the command staff! :shock:

07-26-2006, 12:34 PM
He will get hired at SSO! Just look at the command staff! :shock:Yeaa, the percentage of our command staff that have criminal records is,,,, uhhhhhhh,,,, higher than any police agency that I'm aware of. :cry:

Do their criminal histories reflect negatively on our department???? You bet!!!! :roll:

07-27-2006, 02:18 AM
No Doubt! He should have at the LEAST been demoted to Officer. If he is leaving, it is best for all involved. If not and it is a rumor, something will come down the chute before long! There is almost no way around this one.

07-27-2006, 09:03 PM
I am so popular!

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060727/NEWS/607270449

Just say your a friend of Ralph.

07-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Adrian was a turd when vpd hired him and is today. I'm just surprised it took this long.

08-04-2006, 12:39 PM
IF ANY OF YOU REALLY KNEW SGT. ADRIAN WOULD KNOW DEEP DOWN THAT HE WOULD NEVER GIVE UP INFO LIKE THAT OR PUT ANOTHER OFFICER IN DANGER. WHY DON'T YOU THINK THE NEW CHEIF DIDN'T FIRE OR DEMOTE HIM, BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH INFO TO DO SO. THE PAPER MAKES IT SOUND LIKE SGT. ADRIAN TIPPED THE SUSPECTS WHICH IS ALSO FALSE...

08-04-2006, 05:17 PM
READ THE IA! HE ADMITTED IT! THE ONLY REASON HE WASN'T FIRED IS BECAUSE THE WITNESS STOPPED COOPERATING! HE COULD HAVE GOTTEN A COP KILLED! DO YOU CARE!

HERE READ.

CLICK THIS LINK READ THE STORY GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE AND DOWNLOAD THE IA.

http://venfl.com/features/seajayraid.htm

08-17-2006, 07:08 PM
I can't believe they didn't fire this jerk, and revoke his certification. Not only is he no good in any criminal trial that he's involved in, he's lucky the SWAT guys didn't get their payback. We got rid of our rat at CCSO, why can't VPD? I bet he has something big on the admin!