PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Hike!!!

07-20-2006, 03:22 AM
I cannot believe that the City would hike our insurance up again. What are they thinking??..To the new officers getting hired you should take that other job offer now because your low paycheck is going for insurance costs, and that really goes for any civilian employee also..The City did make an error in this case we are up for a contract, and the PBA better nail them to the wall on a BIG INCREASE IN PAY OR WALK AWAY FROM THE TABLE!!!!! I AM GLAD THE CITY MADE ALL OF US MAD ENOUGH TO STICK TOGETHER (HOPEFULLY) REFERENCE THE PAY!!!

07-20-2006, 12:13 PM
what are the new prices for the insurance?

07-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Primary (Base)-- no bi-weekly increase
co- pay for Doctors---no increase

Preferred (standard)-- single person-up 99 cents bi-weekly. Family up 6.41 bi- weekly
co-pay for doctors from 15/30 to 25/40

Premium (choice)--single person up 3.12 bi-weekly,
family up 20.25 bi-weekly
co-pay for doctors from 25 to 40.

It could have been a lot worse.-- Talk is Preferred (standard) is the best plan for the money and coverage.

City's contribution went from $6,000 a year per employee to $7,200 per year contribution per employee.

07-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Lets be careful here. There is no legal obligation for the city to give us health insurance. The City would like to just give each employee $7,200 next year towards heath insurance we go out and buy as an individual our own policy. That would be a whole lot more expensive to us as a family. So lets be careful.

Let the Union talk about this we are taking a little hit right now and the City is taking a much bigger one for each employee. ($7,200) If we want a large increase in pay we are not going to get health costs reduced--its a paid benefit--its money.
Lets be careful and figure out just what we want. Lets meet and talk about it and not go off half ****ed!!

07-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Why is Bradenton the City that has this problem, is it poor management? Half ****ed, I don't think so. Once again Bradenton, lowest paid, worst benefits, least employee friendly. Sure the city can decide to stop health insurance but who would work here, oh wait I know, there is always somone getting out of prison.

07-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Oh yes when has the city met with the union and wanted to negoitiate fairly. It is always their way or no way.

07-20-2006, 05:39 PM
We are alway's going to be the laughing stock hell hole of this county :evil:

07-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Gee--lets give the Union a chance and see what we can get in the contract. Lets all talk and see what we want collectively

07-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Talk about what? Didn't the city council already vote on it? It sounds like there is nothing to talk about, they already made the decision ... were all going to pay more! Again!

Insurance is terrible everywhere.....but come on....every year the increases wipe out our pay increases. Other agencies do not have their employees pay as much and seems their plans pay more benefits.

Why is it we find out about this stuff at the last minute? Whoever is on the "insurance committee" obviously is not letting the rest of us know a damn thing until it's too late. The city employees find out about it when the city council votes.... when is someone at city hall going to look out for the employees. The list for job openings grows every week. It will probably double in size.

07-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Yes its done but we can get it back in pay --get real and stop you're crying. The City kicked in another $1,200 per person for a total of $7,200 per employee. They took a big part of it--give them some credit.
Bottom line if the insurance went up by a certain percent the Union can raise what they want by that figure. The Union already knows what the bottom line is already so just add in the increase and we are out nothing. Give the Union a chance.

07-21-2006, 12:07 AM
A4 is on the insurance commity. Not only did the cost go up bi-weekly and the co-pay but perscriptions are also going up. The union needs to fight this one and they need to be specific. Don't ask for just an increase of $1,200. It needs to be big. Think of the people with families. Can you imagine taking your kids in for illnesses, shots, medicine, etc and it being $40 a pop per kid. That is half a darn pay check. I think the city should give us the $7200 and let us go piggy back of the counties health insurance plan. If they gave us the $7200 we could go find insurance elsewhere and get better coverage.

07-21-2006, 02:16 AM
You know that $7200 they gave to us would be spent on motorcylces or something.

Thiers
07-21-2006, 04:39 PM
I have spoken with the PBA, and our attorney. This issue will be brought up at the negotiation meeting on Monday, July 24th at 9:00 Am., so if you want first hand information, show up. If you plan to attend, remember, only the attorney can speak, and all negative comments, negative facial expressions, etc, must be kept to ourselves. We will meet in the squad room at around 8:30 to talk prior to going over. Let's keep it professional, and stand together. Any questions??? Give me a call.

Thiers

07-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Let's talk before the insurance meeting with the city, I have found this important fact out. Mail order through express scripts works great if you take generic drugs. I on the other hand have no generic drug so I have to pay non-formulary. What is non-formulary? Well I found out. It is basically any newer drug that a genric is not made or it is not on the formulary chart. What is formulary? Those are the drugs that the city has you pay $40.00 for, non-formulary are $60.00. In other words if the drug is newer and nothing else works for you it better not be on the non-formulary list, for me $120.00 for medication and no it is not for mental medication or herpes! So that means I will have to regulate my intake or find a second job to pay for my medications. I wonder if I can get medicare and get on a federal drug plan? YES I AM BITTER ABOUT THIS INSURANCE THING!!!!! Low pay on top outragous insurance benefits. Maybe we should not be self insured and who is the man in the middle getting the commision for writing this group plan?

07-21-2006, 11:04 PM
At least the officers have an opportunity to negotiate for more money to get back some of what this insurance is going to cost; the civilians and other city workers are getting screwed! They have no recourse except to go someplace else.

07-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Then Go...Shut up and stop whining

Thiers
07-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Meeting for Monday the 24th at 9:30 am has been cancelled. The city was not prepared and asked for more time. New meeting scheduled for July 31st, 1:30 pm.

Thiers

07-22-2006, 12:37 AM
Yeah the City has to find some way to screw us since they enacted this too early...PBA show us the money!!!!

07-22-2006, 01:12 AM
Yes the rest of the city is getting screwed however, when they had the chance to go teamsters the city workers refused to unionize. When we started with the union back in 1997 it was tough, we fought with discipline and threats but we made it through. Look at the tension now at the PD. Every one is afraid to look at someone the wrong way because of the threat of suspension or termination. You can do your job the right way and still get in trouble. This department is about perception not reality.

07-22-2006, 06:32 AM
Give it time. Due to the rising costs in gas, I'm sure you'll have to pay for half the price of gas for the patrol car, take home car or no take home car.

07-22-2006, 02:37 PM
[Then Go...Shut up and stop whining]

You're an a$$. The point is the insurance is not just the officers problem, it's all the city workers problem. It effects everyone.

They should have voted Union years ago. Maybe they will re-think that issue now. [/quote]

07-22-2006, 06:19 PM
This is an idea! This is such a bad job and the City treats us so bad that we all quit. The City residents already pay for law enforcement with their County Tax so the Sheriff's Office can do it and the residents can save money.

You know guys yes we get angry at management and at the City sometimes but its not that bad is it? Com'on now is it really that bad? Be honest.
If you say it is really that bad then you need to find a better place and move on.
I for one am going to try to work with the Union and see what happens. Its way too early and I don't know ALL the facts yet so lets work together to make this a better place or just leave. I am sick of all the negative people who think this is a bad PD or City cause it is NOT.

07-22-2006, 08:39 PM
You have not been here long enough, it is evident in your workds. I would be surprised if you live in a home and not an apartment and if you have a family. Strive for nothing and you will get nothing. And I for one have applied at a different agency yesterday, this place sucks.

07-22-2006, 10:12 PM
So glad you are leaving. But leave soon--please!!!!!!

07-22-2006, 10:14 PM
I agree he needs to leave now. The grass is always greener on the other side. Some departments may be better but some are a lot worse.

07-23-2006, 03:14 AM
You are right some are worse. I would thinks that anyone that leaves here would know what to look for and not get into the same enviornment. We are not the worst but we are seriously broken.

07-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Our agency is not broken... the agency is fine. The city itself does not support the agency. They are ones that provide the funds/benefits. That is where the problem is at.

07-23-2006, 01:19 PM
If you really think our agency is "seriously broken" you need to leave also.
My God remember about 4 years ago? We have made so many improvements with Poston and the new Chief. Yes more needs to be done but 4 plus years ago this place was the worst and that is a fact to all who were here. Its like heaven compared to the old days of no equipment, low low pay and remember the Mayor before Poston saying if we wanted to make money we should be brain surgeons?
Yes we have some more improvements to make but this place is so much better than years past. I lived through it .

07-23-2006, 06:36 PM
I lived through it also, we have made some improvements I agree. We also have not made head way in the areas of most concearn. Pay, Benefits, and man power. These are all financial issue and the city will not address them. It is no different under the old regime. Yes the old guy said stupid things but at least you knew where he stood. This one say;s nothing and does things behind your back,ex. the new insurance fiasco. Don't give him too much credit he is no better.

07-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Are you kidding me. I agree with the guy who said its much better now then the Mayor E years. Someone has a real short memory. Back then we had no money for training equipment or pay. We have bargained good increases with Poston get good equipment and finally get to go to outside training. I can't believe you that you say you lived through it with us. I remember big time Big E would never have given us those type of increases.

We had like 105 guys when big E left. and now we got 122 with 4 more in October. That is ancrease of 21 -- 3 new officer per year under Poston. We could have never, never, never gotten that under big E.
So you say its the same? You can't possible remember what it was like.

07-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Its no way the same. We can make it better but my God it is no where like it was.

07-23-2006, 09:32 PM
At that pace we will finally come today's requirement in 15 years, how about that for progress.

07-23-2006, 09:45 PM
100% percent better than before. Think we are going to make up for 20 years of neglect in a few years--not going to happen.

07-23-2006, 09:46 PM
i agree -- every year it gets a little better--but not need a nice jump in pay.

07-23-2006, 09:49 PM
excuse my spelling we NEED a big jump in pay NOW

07-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Are you kidding me. I agree with the guy who said its much better now then the Mayor E years. Someone has a real short memory. Back then we had no money for training equipment or pay. We have bargained good increases with Poston get good equipment and finally get to go to outside training. I can't believe you that you say you lived through it with us. I remember big time Big E would never have given us those type of increases.

We had like 105 guys when big E left. and now we got 122 with 4 more in October. That is ancrease of 21 -- 3 new officer per year under Poston. We could have never, never, never gotten that under big E.
So you say its the same? You can't possible remember what it was like.

You are correct, we are better off. But remember, we are a growing city and per CALEA, we should have about 3.1 officers per 1,000 people. Do the math, we have about 1.3 officers per 3,000 people. We need a lot of positions to cover the growth, and 4 officers in October DOES NOT CUT IT.

07-24-2006, 12:59 AM
What is a few years, I would say a few is 3, Poston has been here 7. So do we still need to use the old excuse can't fix a problem that started 20 years ago in a few years. Sounds like we can't fix the problem. If 7 years is not enough what is?

07-25-2006, 02:08 AM
When the meeting was held I was with my son who was having oral surgery to remove his impacted wisdom teeth therefore I was not able to be present, however before the deciding meeting I did try, but was unsuccessfull, to meet with the H.R. Director as she was in BPD/BFD Union related meetings all day. During the preceding meeting your voice was heard. You can attend the insurance meetings anytime you like. My input at the meetings is in the best interest of you and the City of Bradenton. I suggest you do some homework in reference to the current insurance situation, that being at the BPD and elsewhere. Read the minutes of any or all the Insurance Committee meetings. It might open your eyes to the reality of what is said at the meetings and the ever increasing cost of insurance/healthcare. I welcome any "tough decision". Decisions are not made by "backbones" they are made by rational thinking, common sense and experience. Anytime you would like to discuss the issue or any issue for that matter, my door is open and you are weclome.

Respectfully, JJL

07-25-2006, 02:44 AM
Well I have read the posts and had to delete one, nice to see there is some discussion on this topic. There are alot of changes going on and contact time brings them on fast. See what comes out of the insurance meeting, we all really do not know what is changing until then. Once we find out it will be time to deal with it during negotiations. Remember our contract affects all sworn nonunion admin. If you have heard recently A3 has come up with some pretty impressive facts which have been to our advantage. I am all for the union and I believe if we all stick this one out together united we will be the victor. The union has supplied us with a top notch attorney this time and I believe from what I hear from the union reps that we have a good chance, just stick together

07-25-2006, 01:08 PM
JJ arent you ready to retire yet??

07-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Every year it is the same thing. We get a "raise" which is then taken away to pay for insurance. Once your done figuring what you get for a "raise" minus all the other stuff that has gone up you actually bring home less. Folks wonder why it is an “us vs. them” mentality.....who looks out for us?

We all know who admin is looking out for....the city is number one.....themselves number two........the rest of their employees last, if at all.... Look who is sitting at the city’s side of the table during negotiations. Where is the admin on our side of the table? Where are they, admin, on the news or in public saying these cops need, want, deserve (or insert another related word or phrase) better pay, benefits, vacation, etc. They are no where to be found.

Cops by nature complain and trust no one, especially administration. I ask the admin to see what are they complaining about? I will bet they do not know. Have things gotten better? Sure in some respects as they have gotten worse in others.

Deep down most folks around here will say that this department has all of the potential to be a great place. There are a lot of young guys willing to work and really make a difference. The city defiantly has the call load. Unfortunately it is nothing but a training ground. As fast as they come, they leave. With the actions, or lack of, administration and especially the city, they obviously do not care. If they did, I have the feeling we would know. Until then we will always be treated like a revolving door agency and thus the employees will be treated the same.

Who knows what will happen with this contract. If we stick together and fight as a team our chances will be much better.

07-26-2006, 02:03 AM
Current Starting Pay at BPD - $31,487.00

Insurance Raise effective Oct. 2006 - 15 %

Starting Pay at MSO (Oct. 2006) - $39,700.00

Constantly being one of the LOWEST paid agencies in the state......Priceless

07-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Please use correct numbers

Bpd Starting salary----$31,827

Insurance went from a 0 increase to 15 percent depending on the individuals plan. Some people like me saw 0 increase.

MSO starting pay in Oct. $39,733.

New info out today---CPI for 2006 (inflation rate)---4.3 percent The City has to be realistic--right now they are not even keeping up with the cost of living.

07-30-2006, 08:25 AM
So let me get this straight....you corrected him for making a $400 dollar a year mistake. Get real the bottom line is BPD is the lowest paid agency in manatee and sarasota county. Holmes beach PD starts at 33K and they all have take homes anywhere in the county Palmetto is at 37K with the built in overtime and they have takehome within 12 miles from the city I dont need to mention MSO so you do the math 2nd largest agency lowest pay hmmmmm???? Oh and dont bother trying to correct me becuase I checked it out already ( My numbers may be off by a few hundred a year or after completion of an FTO program but who cares)

07-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Sorry bro but we dont have take home cars here :?

07-30-2006, 02:56 PM
You're numbers are not the problem you're attitude is

08-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Could it be possible the attitude is from the numbers? I don't know who it is, but I'm sure they work hard like all of us, then to be shown the appreciation of all the hard work you have done, the city wants to lowball you. I can see why some people have attitudes.