PDA

View Full Version : Questions for any trooper.

lifesabeach
07-18-2006, 02:47 PM
I am well aware of the bashing the FHP is taking in this forum, but I will ask my questions anyways. I am set to attend the academy in Sept, and want to know what the FHP is doing to retain their troopers? I moved to Florida a few months ago from up North and have put too much time and effort into this to walk away, despite all the critics. Does the FHP pay overtime or do they flex time you? I understand they have new union representation, which could mean better things are on the horizon. I have worked in corrections for almost 9 years between up North and down here. I understand and believe in the bond of officers, regardless of agency. They can only "implant the chip" if you allow it. One more question, what is the hire back overtime they talk about to supplement the starting salary??? Stay safe and hope to see you all on the road some day soon. :D

07-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Hope I can help a little.

FHP pays overtime. Supervisors can require you to flex "certain" overtime, but it has to be flexed within the work week. We have plenty of OT available. Hireback is one program. It is funded by the FDOT. You get paid time and a half. SOAR is another OT program. Each district is a little different, but mine allows us to work 8 hours a week, or 16 hours a week if you do DUI enforcement. All of it is time and a half.

We just voted in a new union. They are currently working on seperating us from the other state agencies. In my opinion, the new union will help all state LEO's get a better income. Our Colonel is working hard to get us more money.

FHP is a great job. Hope to see ya on the road soon!

07-25-2006, 03:17 PM
You can make plenty of cash with FHP if you work SAOR/Hireback/off duty...I made close to 70 grand last year...the problem is, I have absolutely no life outside of work...cause as soon as my shift is over...I have to go work off duty every day, including my days off. And that one day that you plan to have off to spend with your family...4 days before that a wonderful subpeona comes in so you have to go to court that day, and sit in traffic court a couple hours so that some HTO can plead no contest and keep the points off his license. It's not all about money, but inflation goes up every year...the pay doesn't. Don't forget, unless you promote, there ain't no raises for you in FHP. Just something to think about. The job itself is laid back and fun, so its whatever you want more, a chill job or cash.

07-26-2006, 03:50 AM
I don't know if I want my troopers calling it a "Chill job" doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence.

07-26-2006, 04:14 PM
By "chill job" I meant the way FHP is run, very little politics to deal with or call taking. I think the traffic stops and all that is fun, so to me it's still "chill." Troopers don't do as wide a variety of law enforcement like SO's or PD's, but what FHP does do they do very well...which is basically traffic related. If you're ever in a crash and FHP shows up, you're in good hands you don't have to worry. Sorry I didn't articulate myself very well in the last message.

07-26-2006, 05:03 PM
thats after you've waited two and a half hours for them to show up.

07-27-2006, 12:20 AM
thats after you've waited two and a half hours for them to show up.

Quit beating this dead horse!

There aren't enough troopers to get the job done in a timely manner.

Instead of this kind of trash talk, those of us in local law enforcement should be agitating the state legislature for MORE troopers so that they can do their ASSIGNED DUTIES more effectively.

On the other hand, the troopers need to learn the lessons of BROTHERHOOD and drop this garbage of ticketing fellow LEOs for minor traffic infractions.

It's a two-way street.

One hand washes the other.

(Insert your own cliche about cooperation here.)

:D

07-27-2006, 12:37 AM
you've never waited 2 hours for a trooper to show up, get over it dork!

07-27-2006, 01:38 AM
you've never waited 2 hours for a trooper to show up, get over it dork!

Looks like you missed the Brotherhood post of Hillsborough Deputy!

:P

02-05-2008, 02:09 AM
I don't know if I want my troopers calling it a "Chill job" doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence.

:roll:

02-05-2008, 08:50 AM

Who cares what you want "your trooper" doing or calling anything. Unless you are above the rank of Captain you have no REAL authority. You sound like a sergeant that thinks you are more important than you are.

02-05-2008, 08:58 AM

Who cares what you want "your trooper" doing or calling anything. Unless you are above the rank of Captain you have no REAL authority. You sound like a sergeant that thinks you are more important than you are.

02-05-2008, 03:35 PM
WELCOME TO THE INTERNETS
THIS TOPIC IS SOOOOO OLD.