PDA

View Full Version : New CBA talks

07-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Our new CBA talks are about to start. What do you think we should be looking for?

I say 1st and for most we need an increase in pay. Cost of living in Hillsborough and surrounding counties, home owners insurance and the price of gas has just about wiped out your last raise. Rumor has it Sheriff Gee has already started working on his budget for the next two years and will only be asking for a 2.5% each year for those covered by the CBA. While at the same time command staff has increased in postitions and have received far greater raises than either you or I. Sorry, but with the County claiming to be raking in money due to the the climbimg property values, this just will not cut it. Some other county departments that have a CBA have received raises as high as 6% for each year of their CBA. Why? Because their leaders requested the raises and faught for them before the Commission. Why can't ours do the same?

I also support increased heath benefits once retired, along with a 40 hour work week.

07-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Ahhh, 2.5 % and I'm already in the red. My mortgage is a fixed rate thank goodness but the property taxes are killing me. And the home owners insurance is driving me towards bankruptcy. They have raised over 100 % in the last two years. I was born and raised in this county but don't know how much longer I will be able to stay here. With a wife and three kids I have to start thinking about leaving my beloved Hillsborough county for cheaper pastures. With the current situation in the middle east and Isreal gas prices are expected to continue to increase as well. Like I said I love this place but how can I/we afford it?

07-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Like I said I love this place but how can I/we afford it?

1. Don't buy more house than you can afford.
2. Don't buy a fancier car than you can afford.
3. Don't eat out more than you can afford.
4. Create a budget and live within it.
5. If you are already overcommitted financially - downgrade; your house, your car, your entertainment, etc.

This county is full of people who make $20,000 LESS per year than you do. Quit whining.

Oh, by the way. I knew you wouldn't like the answer.

Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie.................

07-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Your an ass clown. Commenting on someone's situation when you have no idea of what their situation is. Typical know it all with no compassion.

07-17-2006, 03:22 AM
IF the sheriff is only askin' 2.5 %, then we have the union to ask for more. Right now, as you stated, it's a rumor. I have full faith that HE will do what is fair and right for all of us who honorably work for HIM in HIS county. If HE says you get enough, then HE must be right. NEVER question the king, only honor HIM and thank HIM for allowing you to be his serf !!

07-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Your an ass clown. Commenting on someone's situation when you have no idea of what their situation is. Typical know it all with no compassion.

I KNOW what your situation is. You are living beyond your means.

I told you how to correct your problem.

I also told you that you wouldn't like the answer.

I have spent my entire adult life in law enforcement and have watched my peers overcommit and overspend their income while I lived comfortably within mine. I have seen debt eat them, and their marriages, alive because they were trying to "keep up with the Joneses."

I was grown and married during the Jimmy Carter years when a home mortgage could cost between 19% and 21%, annual inflation was in double digits and unemployment nearly the same. It was an "accepted fact of life" that our economy would always have a minimum of 6% unemployment.

You have no idea how good you have it.

Now - having said that, the fact is that home mortgage rates are inching up as the Federal Reserve has slightly increased interest rates to fight inflation. Inflation for the months of 2006 have hovered just under 4%.

Realizing this, the Sheriff SHOULD be budgeting for a raise that AT LEAST keeps pace with inflation. Otherwise we will be losing buying power even though wages increase. Someone, obviously the PBA should be pointing this out to him in no uncertain terms.

Now, going back to the original question that I responded to - "how can I afford to continue to live here?" The answer remains the same as in my original post - Live within your means. Budget. Plan. Quit trying to keep up with the spending of others, who are probably up to their ears in debt.

07-17-2006, 11:55 PM

I have spent my entire adult life in law enforcement and have watched my peers overcommit and overspend their income while I lived comfortably within mine. I have seen debt eat them, and their marriages, alive because they were trying to "keep up with the Joneses."

I was grown and married during the Jimmy Carter years when a home mortgage could cost between 19% and 21%, annual inflation was in double digits and unemployment nearly the same. It was an "accepted fact of life" that our economy would always have a minimum of 6% unemployment.

Now - having said that, the fact is that home mortgage rates are inching up as the Federal Reserve has slightly increased interest rates to fight inflation. Inflation for the months of 2006 have hovered just under 4%.

Realizing this, the Sheriff SHOULD be budgeting for a raise that AT LEAST keeps pace with inflation. Otherwise we will be losing buying power even though wages increase. Someone, obviously the PBA should be pointing this out to him in no uncertain terms.

Now, going back to the original question that I responded to - "how can I afford to continue to live here?" The answer remains the same as in my original post - Live within your means. Budget. Plan. Quit trying to keep up with the spending of others, who are probably up to their ears in debt.

I must say that from this response you have at least 3 stripes, if not more. The point of the original post is what would YOU like to see in the next CBA? It was not about how you spend your money, as I do not care.

The Sheriff has made moves that has raised the standards for anyone that wants to be a part of this agency, be it by getting hired or if you are already here and would like to advance. Higher standards should bring more and better benefits.

07-18-2006, 02:08 AM

I must say that from this response you have at least 3 stripes, if not more. The point of the original post is what would YOU like to see in the next CBA? It was not about how you spend your money, as I do not care.

The Sheriff has made moves that has raised the standards for anyone that wants to be a part of this agency, be it by getting hired or if you are already here and would like to advance. Higher standards should bring more and better benefits.

With regard to your guess on rank - nope; never have risen above Detective. (Real old-time Detective; not plain clothes deputy.) I don't have rank, just maturity.

And note that my post was not a response to the original post and wasn't intended to address the original post. It addressed the quote "Like I said I love this place but how can I/we afford it?" It gave practical advice. Unpopular perhaps, but practical.

With regard to your second observation - I agree completely. If the standards are raised, the pay should be raised. As I pointed out in my post, if the Sheriff proposes a raise that is lower than inflation we are losing money. If he merely proposes to match inflation we are standing still. He must propose a raise that exceeds inflation for us to really get a raise.

07-18-2006, 02:11 AM
Hmmmmmm you are 1 of 27. Too bad you don't get the $150 clothing :lol: :lol: :lol:

07-18-2006, 08:15 PM
We got the 5% plus at least 11 years of that MORON.

07-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Our new CBA talks are about to start. What do you think we should be looking for?

I say 1st and for most we need an increase in pay. Cost of living in Hillsborough and surrounding counties, home owners insurance and the price of gas has just about wiped out your last raise. Rumor has it Sheriff Gee has already started working on his budget for the next two years and will only be asking for a 2.5% each year for those covered by the CBA. While at the same time command staff has increased in postitions and have received far greater raises than either you or I. Sorry, but with the County claiming to be raking in money due to the the climbimg property values, this just will not cut it. Some other county departments that have a CBA have received raises as high as 6% for each year of their CBA. Why? Because their leaders requested the raises and faught for them before the Commission. Why can't ours do the same?

I also support increased heath benefits once retired, along with a 40 hour work week.

If anything, you guys should be receiving a pay cut. As taxpaying citizens, the public should vote on whether or not you receive raises. For the amount of work you do, you are already overpaid. The general public doesn't get annual salary increases, you are no better. All you do is whine, whine, whine. Choose another profession if you feel you are underpaid. If the starting deputy pay was $100k, you'd still complain about not making enough.

07-18-2006, 09:48 PM
We got the 5% plus at least 11 years of that MORON.

Hate to break this to you but that 5% was not for clothing, as clothing allowance can not be taxed. You got that 5% as a "PROMOTION". You were paid the same as a CPL because if you were on the list you could trade with one if you wanted to go back to the street and they took your detective slot. This had happened several times prior to the "plain cloths deputy" position. Plain cloths deputy position was created so the detective could be moved back to the street without having to show cause. In order to "demote" or move a person back to the street and money, other than clothing is taken away, the move has to be justified or the Federal Labor Board would be all over the Office. And we have not done very well with labor board hearings........just ask any of the old timers that are in K9 how much they got as an award for a labor violation.

07-19-2006, 01:36 AM
What the current "plain cloths deputies" should think about. From Today's USA Today...date line State of Washington

Friday, July 14
Olympia - The state agreed to pay $30 million to about 9,000 current and former state employees to settle a lawsuit that accused the government of paying some workers less for the same kinds of jobs. The disparity arose decades ago when college employees and other state workers were overseen by different personnel boards. The civil service system was overhauled last year.

07-19-2006, 01:43 AM
Hate to break this to you but that 5% was not for clothing, as clothing allowance can not be taxed. You got that 5% as a "PROMOTION". You were paid the same as a CPL because if you were on the list you could trade with one if you wanted to go back to the street and they took your detective slot. This had happened several times prior to the "plain cloths deputy" position. Plain cloths deputy position was created so the detective could be moved back to the street without having to show cause. In order to "demote" or move a person back to the street and money, other than clothing is taken away, the move has to be justified or the Federal Labor Board would be all over the Office. And we have not done very well with labor board hearings........just ask any of the old timers that are in K9 how much they got as an award for a labor violation

MY POINT EXACTLY!!!

07-19-2006, 01:48 AM
Next time someone is robbing you or shooting at you, don't run, do what we do, approach, command and take them on. Don't call us if that's your attitude!!!!

07-19-2006, 02:00 AM
it appears that in a letter to the county commission the sheriff has requested a 2.5% market adjustment for the employees and a 2.5% merit. if this is the case i would hope that the pba is requesting 5% across the board

07-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Next time someone is robbing you or shooting at you, don't run, do what we do, approach, command and take them on. Don't call us if that's your attitude!!!!

You act like you guys are sooooo tough. I know for a fact that most of you are a bunch of cowards who are afraid of confrontation. It must suck to spend 25 years day in and day out being scared at work. You think you are Rambo or something? Real fighting machines with your 50 inch waists and can barely get out of your cars. You said you "take them on." The only thing you "take on" is your super combo value meal. Cops are always getting their behinds handed to them. Your training consists of 2 days annually "in-service," which amounts to goof off time. Your PAT assesses nothing, an 80 year old man can walk the course and pass. You're kidding no one, tough guy.
P.S. No, you don't deserve a raise.

07-21-2006, 07:32 PM
What, you get sold for a pack of smokes the other day. Go pluck your eyebrows honey, you must be all rooster puffy knowin' big daddy has your back in more than one way. And by the way, when you need a cop, then don't call. :lol:

07-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Hey guys and gals, don't get roped into "debating" with ignorant people who post on this board. Remember they are the same 5% of the public that uses 95% of the police. Then again, maybe you should thank them for job security :wink:

We all know that this agency has been underfunded and understaffed for years. We are now seeing the results of that. Longer response times, holding calls, etc. I have never seen my district holding 10+ calls for 20-30 minutes.

Since I have been here we have never been able to cover all the zones. But now it is at a dangerous level. I am basically working by myself. There are no units to "slide by" your traffic stop or 13p. They are all on calls. But to think about it, I don't have a lot of time to do x50's and other proactive policing in-between my calls!

The Sheriff and the County Commission need to wake up. It's time they did what they are sworn to do and fund this agency to keep up with the exploding population. Hiring 12 here and 15 there is not even making a dent.

mod 184
07-22-2006, 12:59 AM
Leo brings up a point I have heard continuously thru the districts. Zone cars are so busy running from call to call that they have no time to do any proactive policing. Further, I hear that staffing at the jails and court house are dangerously critical. Why are we not attracting people to work here? Further, I remember a time when we had no under sheriff or chief deputy and only three colonels. Now we have so many upper level people that I need a roster with pictures to know who they all are! Why?!! Certain positions have been reclassified as civilian posts, so what happened to those deputies that a CSO replaced? And then I read that the County Administrator wants all county departments to cut their budgets!! And they talk about raising impact fees exponentailly! So where does all the money go? Sorrry about the tangent, but I think these are some questions that everyone that lives in this county may ponder.

07-22-2006, 01:41 AM
Leo brings up a point I have heard continuously thru the districts. Zone cars are so busy running from call to call that they have no time to do any proactive policing. Further, I hear that staffing at the jails and court house are dangerously critical. Why are we not attracting people to work here? Further, I remember a time when we had no under sheriff or chief deputy and only three colonels. Now we have so many upper level people that I need a roster with pictures to know who they all are! Why?!! Certain positions have been reclassified as civilian posts, so what happened to those deputies that a CSO replaced? And then I read that the County Administrator wants all county departments to cut their budgets!! And they talk about raising impact fees exponentailly! So where does all the money go? Sorrry about the tangent, but I think these are some questions that everyone that lives in this county may ponder.

My answer:

1. Heinrich (God love him; I sure do) made a BIG mistake in emphasizing "academics" instead of life experience and common sense in recruiting and promoting personnel. (How do you think Carl "I got a PhD. so you are obligated to promote me" Hawkins got where he is today?)

This job DOES NOT require a college degree!

2. Henderson made a "deal with the devil" by agreeing with the County Commission NOT to insist on bringing the ratio of deputies to population up to the level generally accepted as necessary for effective law enforcement. (It would have cost "too much money.")

Henderson was about personal aggrandizement, cronyism and power politics, not improving the agency.

3. Gee got stuck with the results of 1. and 2., above, and there doesn't seem to be any easy way out. He has a stultified staff and a recalcitrant County Commission to deal with.

Maybe he would have more success dealing with a County Mayor? Who knows?

JOB ONE of government at every level is to provide for the safety and security of its citizens. All of the other social services are nice, but if something has to be minimized or cut in order to provide adequate police, fire and emergency medical protection IT SHOULD BE DONE!

WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN IMMEDIATELY is that the Sheriff should mount an intense and very public campaign to bring the ratio of deputies to population up to the appropriate level. He should talk to the Editorial Staff of the Tribune and to the opinion makers of the local TV and radio stations and get a public outcry insisting on this.

As long as the office is understaffed on the road, in the jails and in the courts, we will not have the kind of law enforcement agency that this county needs and deserves.

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

07-22-2006, 02:15 PM
What Vig has posted is very true.

The past Sheriffs made a pack with the devil that requiered funding from the devil that would ensure that we had a deputy to population ratio of 1.7...........we are at 1.59 with no plans from the devil to increase. In fact with future population increases the ratio will fall.

Sheriff Gee has posted a letter to Head Deavil Norman on the HCSO web site under the link of FY2007 budget request. In this request the Sheriff has asked for 65 LEO positions.

During the past year and during the last CBA negotiations the PBA ran across road block after road block. It is time for the "HCSO Chapter" of the PBA to step up and place full support behind Sheriff Gee in this request so they can stand side by side and demad that the BOCC staff our agency at a safe level. If the devil fails to provide the staff that is needed so you and I can work in the safest possible conditions then the Sheriff, with the full support of the PBA, needs to appeal to Tallahassee for the funds that are needed. Maybe, just maybe, then the Sheriff will then attend a BOCC meeting and fight for the pay and benefits the PBA will be asking for.

And Vig one last thing as you may be onto something. Our radio system sucks, our in car computor system sucks as does our RMS system. The last propmtion test was a joke and if the citizens knew the truth about what the make up of the test was, the number of questions that had to be tossed and the monies that were wasted on the purchase of this test.........well, I think they would wonder what is going on at this fine agency. But if you sit back and think about what is not running like it should, and who is in charge of the things that do not work right, you will see that it all comes back to someone with a Phd.

simpleman
07-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Have y'all heard how hard it is to get hired at this place. With the rules and shenanigans that go on now Me and most people at the office for more than 5 years probably couldn't get hired. The length of time it takes to process someone in, we don't/won't ever catch up. And with jail dep's being so short handed it is even worse.

What is sad is that this office is on a horse with blinders on. The big problem is the rider is wearing blinders and being guided by others. This office has big plans and big ambitions but there is no leadership. There is a book going around that supervisors are supposed to read called It's Your Ship, Michael Abrashoff. Good stuff----staff----I would suggest that everyone read it. Unfortunately, like Character First -----------------I'll let someone else finish this.

07-23-2006, 07:09 PM
We need a good sick leave pool that would be administered by the HCSO Chapter. HCSO PBA could have a committee that sits and listens to requests for time. We could accept or deny claims if we feel that the deputy/cpl requesting the time from the pool misused their own time. If we had a good program it would not surprise me to see our current eligble non members join, and the ranks of Sgt & Lt notice PERK for an election.

08-03-2006, 07:16 AM
what does a rookie dep earn-----i understand that with perks the average leo makes $80k --is this true? i see a lot of cops and firefighters driving new BMW's and Hummers ---maybe they r over paid or just living beyond their means.

08-03-2006, 05:33 PM
what does a rookie dep earn-----i understand that with perks the average leo makes $80k --is this true? i see a lot of cops and firefighters driving new BMW's and Hummers ---maybe they r over paid or just living beyond their means.

Serpiico, you've already demonstrated you are a doofus in postings you've made elsewhere.

In answer to your question: Do your own research on what deputies earn. It's on the Internet. Check the Civil Service postings.

With regard to the BMW's and Hummers, you are right that a lot of first responders have them. They get them at a good price from a very, very first responder friendly dealership in the area.

They are neither overpaid or living beyond their means - at least not by using the criteria you mention.

You are a bore.

:P

08-03-2006, 06:33 PM
its ridiculous, in DII alone there are four reserves who actually go out and answer calls, and a few in D1 and D3 and these guys are young and college educated, everything we supposedly want, why are they not hired, that would be at least four more units instead of them having to ride two in a car, the long and short of it is that we have people who want to be here and are being stuffed, why? How about all the dual certified jail deputies, again we have people that want to work here, like the previous poster said a lot of us would not be able to be hired on now if it came to it, just because we have a tattoo or some stupid reason like that.

08-04-2006, 01:59 AM
Well now dual certified jail deputies have to resign before they can even be considered being hired on to the road. Now who wants to take that chance? All of that in the name of not having to give them the step increases they have earned while at the jail!