PDA

View Full Version : FHP tickets deputy for running red light

News Dud
07-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Sheriff's deputy receives citation
SYLVIA LIM
Herald Staff Writer

MANATEE - Troopers on Friday ticketed a Manatee County sheriff's deputy for running a red light after he crashed into a civilian's vehicle during a high-speed chase last month.

Florida Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. Doug Dodson said investigators felt that even in an emergency, a law enforcement official must take into consideration the safety of others.

"We have to be reasonably safe when we enter an intersection even with lights and sirens on," Dodson said.

Sheriff's Deputy Joseph M. Petta and his canine remained on duty after he received the ticket, said Sheriff's Maj. Chuck Hagaman. The sheriff's office has launched a simultaneous internal investigation into the crash.

The sheriff's office's Traffic Crash Review Board will meet on Aug. 2 to determine if Petta violated any policies, Hagaman said. The FHP citation will not affect the internal investigation.

"They are separate. It is required by law to be separate," Hagaman said.

According to the sheriff's office policies, a deputy in a marked vehicle "shall not enter a controlled intersection against the directed flow of traffic at a speed greater than 15 mph, and the driver shall be sure that the cross-traffic flow has yielded in each lane before attempting to cross that lane."

During a chase, the policy spells out that "if the suspect accelerates and begins to operate in a more dangerous manner, the deputy shall terminate the pursuit."

On the evening of June 29, Petta chased a homeless man driving a stolen van down U.S. 41, heading south, according to the FHP and the sheriff's office.

The suspect in the van cleared the traffic light at the intersection of General Spaatz Boulevard and U.S. 41, near New College, according to an FHP report.

Petta, behind the stolen van, approached the intersection just as the light turned red for traffic on U.S. 41 and green for General Spaatz Boulevard, the report stated.

Leo S. Demski, 63, drove into the intersection from General Spaatz Boulevard, according to the report. Petta, with his emergency lights and siren on, drove in its path.

Demski, a marine biology professor at New College who had just finished teaching a course that evening, said he didn't see or hear anything before the crash.

Demski's vehicle hit the side of Petta's marked sport-utility vehicle, causing it to spin and overturn, the report stated. As the SUV flipped over, it hit a tree and continued to slide and slammed into a light pole.

"I looked out on the left side and saw the police SUV," Demski said. "I watched it, it seemed it took forever for it to spin around."

Both Demski and Petta suffered minor injuries from the crash and were taken to local hospitals, according to the FHP. The police dog was taken to a vet.

Petta was placed in sick leave after the crash, the sheriff's office said.

"The deputy and the dog were slightly injured, but both recovered and are back to duty," Hagaman said.

Three weeks later, after speaking to Demski and other witnesses, the FHP concluded that Petta ran the red light and cited him for it.

The citation carries a $118.50 fine, said FHP spokesman Lt. Doug Dodson.

Though he said the county compensated him fairly for his totaled vehicle and other items, Demski said he may consider filing a lawsuit if the crash results in further health issues for him.

A short time after the accident, officers arrested the driver of the van, Ronald L. Pendergrass, 54, in Sarasota County. He was charged with grand theft auto, fleeing to elude and possession of drug paraphernalia.I read it here (http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/15043854.htm). :roll:

07-15-2006, 06:17 PM
I cant wait to do a Trooper :twisted:

07-15-2006, 06:52 PM
The majority of troopers are good people, but there are a few dingleberries who ruin it for all the troopers. :roll:

07-15-2006, 10:32 PM
This guy could have killed that other motorist, all for what, because his adrenaline was pumping and he wanted to catch the bad guy, no matter what the cost. Sure, when I'm x31, I want to get the guy, and give him a proper taser deployment, but above all else is my safety. When it's all said and done at the end of the day, I'll be going home to my family, even if that means I have to slow down and look both ways going through the intersections, or x66 on a pursuit.

I haven't been in this job as long as some old timers that are crucifying the trooper for citing him, but I have learned that fate and coincidence have a mean way of coming together in this line of work. It could be 2am with no one on the road, and I'll still slow down enough to make sure I make it through the intersection. Doing about 80 through one is just suicide.

07-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Thats good Admin boy, now get back under BB's desk and suck a little harder. :lol:

07-16-2006, 12:38 AM
This guy could have killed that other motorist, all for what, because his adrenaline was pumping and he wanted to catch the bad guy, no matter what the cost. Sure, when I'm x31, I want to get the guy, and give him a proper taser deployment, but above all else is my safety. When it's all said and done at the end of the day, I'll be going home to my family, even if that means I have to slow down and look both ways going through the intersections, or x66 on a pursuit.

I haven't been in this job as long as some old timers that are crucifying the trooper for citing him, but I have learned that fate and coincidence have a mean way of coming together in this line of work. It could be 2am with no one on the road, and I'll still slow down enough to make sure I make it through the intersection. Doing about 80 through one is just suicide.Whew, you weren't even there, but you've already decided that the officer was wrong. You'll be a major x18. You're also an expert quarterback -- on Monday morning. :roll:

Read the !@#$%^&* report first!!! :!:

07-16-2006, 02:31 AM
I agree with you Major Cluster, those rookies know everything just ask them!!! Its amazing how we want to sell out our own and actually believe they were right with all their training!!

07-16-2006, 03:51 AM
To the Trooper and Lt Dodson:

Hope you being a TROOPER makes you proud! If you ever even call yourself LAW ENFORCEMENT, you are sadly mistaken. Please keep writing cops tickets when you can and reciting the "traffic law". We know this makes you feel proud! Hope we get the chance to work a wreck with your guys soon - better yet, when I go back to the Troopers house that had the domestic incident in which no one supposedly heard about, i will make sure there is a x15 if necessary. I am sure you understand, right?

Crashes/Tickets/Crashes/Tickets/Crashes/Tickets/Crashes/Tickets/Crashes/Tickets/
Crashes/Tickets/Crashes/Tickets/Crashes/Tickets/Crashes/Tickets/Crashes/Tickets

sounds like something i want to go to the academy for 6 months to do for a living ($30k).....NOT

07-16-2006, 02:31 PM
I cant wait to do a Trooper :twisted:

That is the prime reason why we work our own stuff. The deputy will now get slammed twice.. A nice ticket and now a crsah review board with possible suspension. Double jepordy aint it great. I bet the civillans dont get this...

07-16-2006, 02:38 PM

I haven't been in this job as long as some old timers that are crucifying the trooper for citing him, but I have learned that fate and coincidence have a mean way of coming together in this line of work. It could be 2am with no one on the road, and I'll still slow down enough to make sure I make it through the intersection. Doing about 80 through one is just suicide.

Ok for the rookie SSO Deputy from another SSO Deputy. Hey dude keep your rookie ideas to yourself and let us real veterans do the police work, Your stupid remarks make us look bad. Now go back to your midnight shift and take your reports

07-16-2006, 03:01 PM
fhp is unreal thats all i have to say, what trooper wrote the ticket? is he out of the srq troop or manatee?

07-16-2006, 07:25 PM
I think we should remove all lights and sirens from patrol cars. If we do this then there will be more money to be spent on more important things like getting satellite radio and subscriptions in the command staff's cars. We could respond only AFTER the fact and there would be no need for S-T-A-R-C-R-A-P stats for tickets since there won't be any way to pull over a motorist. In this respect the motoring public won't need to worry about that "F'ing cop that wrote me ticket for that BS violation".

This is unreal that a "cop" would write another cop a ticket for responding to or participating in an emergency! Un-freaking real! I guess they conveniently forgot to write "RED" for her 6 crashes. Thank goodness they aren't real cops and they don't handle real law enforcement sitations.

07-17-2006, 02:46 AM
i agree

07-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Ok for the rookie SSO Deputy from another SSO Deputy. Hey dude keep your rookie ideas to yourself and let us real veterans do the police work, Your stupid remarks make us look bad. Now go back to your midnight shift and take your reports

Nnnnno, crashing into civilians because of reckless driving makes us look bad. Ass. So what I think you were tryin to say was, as long as whatever you do is in the course of your official duties, it doesn't matter who gets killed or hurt.

When the public, that would be your employer by the way, when they read these posts, who do you think they're more afraid of getting crashed into by, a car thief, or you? Last time I checked, we were running out of loaner cars lately, and most were avoidable.

07-17-2006, 01:45 PM

Nnnnno, crashing into civilians because of reckless driving makes us look bad. Ass. So what I think you were tryin to say was, as long as whatever you do is in the course of your official duties, it doesn't matter who gets killed or hurt.

When the public, that would be your employer by the way, when they read these posts, who do you think they're more afraid of getting crashed into by, a car thief, or you? Last time I checked, we were running out of loaner cars lately, and most were avoidable.

You totally missed the point... get back to me when your off probation. I dont hurry to calls anymore anyway. Immmm way past those days. My point being the deputy will now get screwed twice where as your civillan will only get once. As far as Reckless driving. The guy goofed and had a crash,,big freaking deal we work them everyday and we do not cite ALL THE TIME. You know if the deputy was as fault he gonna suffer a lot more than $118.00 when the agency is done with him, so why would we give some glorified meter maid the responsiblility to write one of our own and then watch the agency gig him again in a crash review board. All Im saying if the guy in the AAA uniform is gonna write us, it should be said and done with-no more issues from the agency but we know that wont happen.

07-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Thats enough for me - i will no longer run code to anything and if I do I will do it like Deputy Gearhart Peck (for those of you who remember) - running code at 45 with traffic passing him....seriously, if they are going to start writing us for silly shit, then the public is gonna have to wait till i get there. Law Enforcement is tumbling downhill fast! No wonder they cant get good people anymore to be cops! You cant do anything but watch the bad guy run away from you, get treated like crap downtown, double jeopardy when involved in a car crash - whats next?? It is ashame....cant blame BB for all of it but at this agency, he surely didnt help. I would love to see a strong Sheriff come in and put his foot down and allow us to do what we have to do to catch the bad guys. The Supreme Court protects us now - someone needs to fill some small shoes downtown and bring real Police Work back! Until then, I am not turning my lights on for anything unless i have to and will go the speed limit - NO MORE than that!

07-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Thats enough for me - i will no longer run code to anything and if I do I will do it like Deputy Gearhart Peck (for those of you who remember) - running code at 45 with traffic passing him....seriously, if they are going to start writing us for silly shit, then the public is gonna have to wait till i get there. Law Enforcement is tumbling downhill fast! No wonder they cant get good people anymore to be cops! You cant do anything but watch the bad guy run away from you, get treated like crap downtown, double jeopardy when involved in a car crash - whats next?? It is ashame....cant blame BB for all of it but at this agency, he surely didnt help. I would love to see a strong Sheriff come in and put his foot down and allow us to do what we have to do to catch the bad guys. The Supreme Court protects us now - someone needs to fill some small shoes downtown and bring real Police Work back! Until then, I am not turning my lights on for anything unless i have to and will go the speed limit - NO MORE than that!Very well written and that's my exact sentament!!! I rarely run code anymore and, when I do, it's usually at the speed limit or maybe 5 or 10 mph faster (maybe!!!)... Why am I so cautious??? Because if you get involved in a crash while running code, you won't be backed up. Sooooo I'll get there when I get there --- and not a second sooner!!! ;)

I had a rookie laugh at me for running code at 45 mph on Bee Ridge during rush hour traffic... He felt I should have been going a lot faster... No way!!!! Ahhhhhh his day will come... someday... and then he'll understand. ;)

Once I ran code at 38 mph on Bee Ridge because nobody would yield, but that's another story...

I don't care any more. :mrgreen:

07-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Well I agree with ya that running code is nothing to take lightly. Remember what I used to tell guys when I taught at the acadamy, "if you get in a wreck and don't get to the call, what good are you to any one."

Stay safe

07-18-2006, 12:40 PM
For all of you out to burn FHP again for writing a deputy, lets hear the truth. #1 it was an FHP sergeant out of the Venice FHP station. He was called in to investigate the crash by MSO. MSO is aware of FHP policy to issue citations if violation of Florida statutes occur. MSO is afraid to work crashes on its own. SSO and every other law enforcement agency are aware of the policy of citations being issued. I would blame the supervisors of your agency not FHP. FHP writes tickets to law enforcement officers in on duty crashes because they are tired of cleaning up other agencies messes. #2 the cannine unit was not even close too the two units chasing the stolen vehicle and was traveling at 107 mph 6 seconds prior to entering the intersection and struck the vehicle within the intersection at 65mph. Think about it who should you really be mad at? I think the reckless deputy who drives with his head up his *#!.

07-18-2006, 12:48 PM
For all of you out to burn FHP again for writing a deputy, lets hear the truth. #1 it was an FHP sergeant out of the Venice FHP station. He was called in to investigate the crash by MSO. MSO is aware of FHP policy to issue citations if violation of Florida statutes occur. MSO is afraid to work crashes on its own. SSO and every other law enforcement agency are aware of the policy of citations being issued. I would blame the supervisors of your agency not FHP. FHP writes tickets to law enforcement officers in on duty crashes because they are tired of cleaning up other agencies messes. #2 the cannine unit was not even close too the two units chasing the stolen vehicle and was traveling at 107 mph 6 seconds prior to entering the intersection and struck the vehicle within the intersection at 65mph. Think about it who should you really be mad at? I think the reckless deputy who drives with his head up his *#!.Wow, that's bad!!! :shock: :? :cry:

07-18-2006, 07:38 PM
This is cut-n-pasted from the MSO board and I couldn't say it better:
we all go to work to earn a paycheck. thats it. we have bills and kids to take care of.

why put your life and money at risk for some scum bag?
everyone knows that when there is a 10-31 a tape is pulled. they will find fault somewhere for something almost all of the time. so why do it? do you really care if mr citizen (who tells cops to go f off) gets the car back or if the suspect isarrested?

the answer is nope. just give me my paycheck at the end of the week so i can pay my bills and feed my children.

whats the saying??? your damned if you do and your damned if you dont. so why put yourself at risk as well as innocent people driving down the road.

we all see the videos and how they end. so just think, is me chasing this crackhead going to benefit me? i am going to get a big bonus for catching this guy? i dont think so.

just be safe and go home to your family at the end of shift

07-18-2006, 07:42 PM
So law enforcement are the only people in the whole country that have crash review boards? How dumb are you people? Seriously, if saw someone from Joe's Plumping crashes his van, do you think Joe is going to just be fine with loosing a van? Many businesses review crashes. Don't think you are the only ones getting burned twice. Yes, it sucks. Deal with it.

FHP has a duty to cite who is at fault. Don't be at fault. Seems easy enough for me. I'm glad to see that SSO will cover their own crashes up too.

07-18-2006, 09:28 PM
So law enforcement are the only people in the whole country that have crash review boards? How dumb are you people? Seriously, if saw someone from Joe's Plumping crashes his van, do you think Joe is going to just be fine with loosing a van? Many businesses review crashes. Don't think you are the only ones getting burned twice. Yes, it sucks. Deal with it.

FHP has a duty to cite who is at fault. Don't be at fault. Seems easy enough for me. I agree with you 100%!!! And that's why when Joe Gangster steals your vehicle, I'll simply let him have if. If you think I'm going to chase him in a pursuit, just so you can get your stolen vehicle back, then think twice!!! He can have it!!! Deal with it!!! :mrgreen:

Some of us have been here long enough that it's much better to allow the thieves to have your property. :shock:

Why should I jeopordize my career just to recover your stolen property, whether it be a heirloom, a 14k gold studded dimond wedding ring, a new car or whatever??? Give me one reason why I should attempt to recover your property? Once the thugs get your property, then they own it (as far as I'm concerned). To quote you: "Deal with it." ;)

07-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Please don't kill anyone to get my property back. Especially if it is a third party (innocent victim). Thanks

07-20-2006, 10:22 PM
For that reason, our agency changed its policy and WE work our own crashes now, instead of FHPee. Besides didn't the other other driver crash into the good guy?

07-22-2006, 01:38 AM
I agree and I am glad SSO handles its own crashes. I would much rather take the UTC if I thought that was it and no review board etc but FHP ( a traffic agency ) takes this moving violation crap wayyy to far. They are freaking infractions. How many crashes do we work and do not cite...Numerous. We all know you can list someone at fault and not cite them. Its YOUR CALL.

Sorry I have to disagree FHP. You are just another agency. Who are you to police us. I am glad SSO realizes you are no one special and we can handle our own stuff, I just feel sorry for the smaller Sheriff's Offices that have to deal with your wanna be State Police attitude.

07-22-2006, 01:49 AM
Wanna Be Police Attitudes.....they get a hard on writing another cop a ticket because they feel their STATE status makes them a little more powerful. Lets set it straight - you write tickets and work crashes ALL DAY while the S/O and City chase BAD BAD people. Look at yourself in the mirror and realize you are NOT a real cop. A real cop wouldnt write another cop a ticket for a civil crash when they KNOW they have to deal with it through their agency as well. I lost all respect for FHP a long time ago. I will back you up 100% when you need it because that is my job. My job is also to give you a ticket or DUI when i see you off duty in your POV. But ya know what ??? I COULDNT AND WOULDNT DO IT TO YOU!

07-22-2006, 11:02 AM
There are a lot of outstanding FHP troopers who are cool with us. Let's not categorize all of them as ****s, simply because a couple of ****heads have no common sense. On the other side of the coin, we have some deputies who are less-than-wonderful, but they certainly don't represent the entire agency.

We have all met people who dislike ALL cops because they've had one (or more) bad encounters with cops who didn't make the best decision. It's wrong of those citizens to hate all of us, based on their isolated experience with one (or two) cops. Let's not bash ALL of FHP because of a couple of ****heads.

07-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Why the f---k is a FHP Trooper investigating your crashes. Dont you guys have THI's to do that?

07-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Good point about THI's at SSO. Politics......................

07-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Guest: Just for your information the public is not my employer. If your going to use the taxpayer angle then I also am a taxpayer, so I am self employed. Secondly you informationally challanged want it both ways. If we did not pursue and that guy later hurts a member of your family or yourself you again would say it was our fault. Or we are not doing enough. So go back to watching CSI.

07-31-2006, 09:58 PM
Naah we wouldnt give FHP the time of day to work our crashes. They know their position here, (just traffic cops) but unfortunately Manatee has FHP work theres most likely because the Sheriff is a retired Trooper up there.

08-07-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm "just" a civilian, but I found this thread interesting. I drive in Sarasota all the time, and the thing that strikes me is how many other drivers IGNORE sirens & lights. When I learned to drive, we were taught to pull over and let the emergency vehicle pass, but drivers in this town don't seem to know about that. In the case in question here, the other driver ENTERED THE INTERSECTION in spite of siren & lights. I'm surprised these things don't happen more often. You LEOs do a tough, often thankless job, and I wish more people would respect you.

08-07-2006, 08:09 PM
I'm "just" a civilian, but I found this thread interesting. I drive in Sarasota all the time, and the thing that strikes me is how many other drivers IGNORE sirens & lights. When I learned to drive, we were taught to pull over and let the emergency vehicle pass, but drivers in this town don't seem to know about that. 100% agreed. I was a cop in a different state before coming here and when I turned on my lights & siren, it was like the parting of the Red Sea. People yielded!!! :shock:

Then I got hired in Sarasota and when I came here, I was stunned to find that many people either don't yield or are very slow in yielding, possibly because of old age (I'm not sure). For example, I'll be in the trail running code and a car initially won't yield for the lights & siren... and then he'll turn on his right turn signal to move into the right lane to yield... and he'll let it blink for about 3 or 4 times before he even starts moving into the next lane... and then he'll move over into the right lane in superslow motion (no exaggeration).

Maybe people think that we're running with lights & siren to get to lunch or something -- instead of going to a 911 emergency where a citizen is crying for help??? I honestly don't know.