PDA

View Full Version : Hiring Process

07-13-2006, 01:33 AM
Im currently a road Deputy in central florida for the last 2.6 years and 4.4 in a big city in the north. Im interested in pursuing a deputy position at the Manatee County Sheriffs office. I would like to re-locate to the manatee county area to be closer to my family. Can anyone provide any insights to the department and the hiring process? Thanks.

07-13-2006, 01:46 AM
Stay where you are if you are Smart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07-13-2006, 02:23 AM
http://www.manateesheriff.com/

Go to this link and it should give you the answers you are looking for. Go to the "Employment" link and you can download an application to get started. We have positions that need to be filled. They are very picky and don't hire people fast enough. We have been starting new FTO groups about every 4 months so the next group should start around OCT.

And ignore the Wanna-Be's that invade our board and want to start negative topics about our agency. :wink:

CTFUUU
07-13-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't know where you are in central Florida, but if you can afford to live there, you might want to think about staying. We need Deputies bad, but understand you probably won't be able to afford housing in Manatee County. It's really too bad, but that is the sad truth. If you don't mind commuting, Hillsborough still has affordable housing in decent neighborhoods and you could easily commute to Manatee. Weigh your options before you jump in the big pond and good luck!

07-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Listen my LEO Brother, this is not the place to come to atleast not now!! Our Department is way down in personel however our "Gang Unit" (due to this county being over run by violent gang's) is off weekends, most nights and holiday's.(hopefully you are starting to realize where this is going). Our "cop's" unit is a group of yes boy's that have always gigged their fellow squad members so they could suck a-ss to the "cops" unit in hopes of getting in this unit while sticking adjacent zones with their calls. Cops is also reactive and is never doing what its intended purpose was. (that would be saturating the high crime drug areas) The specialty units are for a large part grant funded so of course the powers that be (Lazy Admin) doesnt short personel here they would rather take from Patrol so our squads at any given time have numerous call's in back log. We could go on here forever but I think you have the general idea. Last but not least unless you have 3 or 4 hundred grand lying around to by an (Average) home then you will be driving north atleast an hour into Hillsborough county to find a low middle class basic home for 250K + . Please re-think your options before its too late any you are in the same position as many of us. :x

07-14-2006, 01:17 AM
Don't listen to the idiot above. Yes there are some issues at MSO but its the same every where else. I think we have it better then some other agencies in the area. There are a few disgruntled employees who try to make it look as if MSO is not worth looking into, but ignore them and check into what MSO has to offer. Manatee county is expensive to live in but 10 minutes north of the county line you can find decent prices in good neighborhoods. I been here long enough to see people come and go and I heard from several people that left MSO thinking the grass is greener at some other agency just to kick themselfs in the ass for leaving. Good luck.

07-14-2006, 02:47 AM
I have been here almost 12 years now and this place is not all that our web page makes it out to be. Keep your options open and dont let Manatee be your first choice. I dont know where *mso dep* is living but yes it is EXTREMELY expensive to live here and I dont know of any affordable good neighbor hoods 10 minutes north of the county line. I have several friends at Sarasota SO as well as Tampa PD and that seems to be the places to go. With Sarasota you are looking at the same housing price problem, however it seems to be a better overall agency. I have to somewhat agree that we are reactive and our Patrol Division is short and somewhat left as the step child of the agency. Good luck in your search but dont limit yourself to mso.

CTFUUU
07-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Listen my LEO Brother, this is not the place to come to atleast not now!! Our Department is way down in personel however our "Gang Unit" (due to this county being over run by violent gang's) is off weekends, most nights and holiday's.(hopefully you are starting to realize where this is going). Our "cop's" unit is a group of yes boy's that have always gigged their fellow squad members so they could suck a-ss to the "cops" unit in hopes of getting in this unit while sticking adjacent zones with their calls. Cops is also reactive and is never doing what its intended purpose was. (that would be saturating the high crime drug areas) The specialty units are for a large part grant funded so of course the powers that be (Lazy Admin) doesnt short personel here they would rather take from Patrol so our squads at any given time have numerous call's in back log. We could go on here forever but I think you have the general idea. Last but not least unless you have 3 or 4 hundred grand lying around to by an (Average) home then you will be driving north atleast an hour into Hillsborough county to find a low middle class basic home for 250K + . Please re-think your options before its too late any you are in the same position as many of us. :xHmmm another "uninformed, know it all". Just so you know the Gang Unit consists of 4 Deputies, that are split to work each rotation. They work nights on their perspective rotations and "YES!' they do work Holidays and weekends, so your bashing of those Deputies was WRONG! As far as the COPS units, I'll agree some of them are lazy and are in that position to drive around and fugg off, but some actually do alot of work and do help out on calls for service. Administration needs to take ahold of that unit and start making them accountable for their time, just as Patrol is accountable. (IE: The SRO's who drove around all summer not doing a damn thing, but collecting a paycheck. Not all SRO's did that, but a majority did!)
Now as far as Patrol being the stepchild of the agency, I would have to agree. Patrol is shorted on a constant basis to fill specialized units, but let me let you in on another unit that has been shorted recently for that same purpose. CPID lost a couple of Detectives recently to specilaized units, so they are working short as well. Some of the reason for this is because the agency can't get qualified applicants to hire. So dumbass, while you're bashing your agency you're cutting your own throat. Anyone who reads your stupid bullshit would think that this is the worst agency in the State to work for, when in actuality it isn't. In fact, we have a pretty good department overall, we could use a hefty raise and better insurance benefits, but for the most part we are a pretty progressive department. The reason we are reactive and not proactive is because we are so short handed, you can't wipe your ass if you don't have a hand to do so with!
I live 10 minutes from the county line and I don't live in a "low middle class home". So as far as not being able to find housing within an hour's drive is another one of your so called "bullshit facts".
Now I'm sure you will say that I am a suck ass for the department, when in actuality if you really knew me, you'd know I'm stand up and in your face. I just can't stand the fact that someone who is bishing about being so short, would try to deter someone from coming here to work. Cut your own throat brother, but please leave mine intact. If you're that miserable, move your ass to greener grass. I'm already working short, but I'd rather work with some rookies who aren't bishing non-stop, then to work with someone who is trying to cut my throat, by deterring people from working here!

07-14-2006, 07:43 PM
I couldn't of said it better. Thank CTFUUU :wink:

07-14-2006, 09:42 PM
I couldnt have said it better either MSO-69 :wink: . Its about time someone speaks up for us :!: :!: :!:

07-15-2006, 01:19 AM
Just do what you get paid for and stop worrying about what other people are doing or not doing. Where else do you only get to work 14 days in a month and get good pay with no manual labor? Its like a soap opera with some of you. You should listen to yourself on the radio when you get a call out of your zone, its an embarrasment. Grow up, put your 12 hrs in and go home enjoy life!

07-16-2006, 02:27 AM
"Good Pay" I hope that is a joke!! You are obviously from this Red Neck hole to think we get good pay!?! "No manual labor " just a huge stress factor from the lazy Slob's we work with blowing off call's on ALL squads. So let's re-evaluate embarassment and put yourself to the head of that list.

07-16-2006, 02:44 AM
"Good Pay" I hope that is a joke!! You are obviously from this Red Neck hole to think we get good pay!?! "No manual labor " just a huge stress factor from the lazy Slob's we work with blowing off call's on ALL squads. So let's re-evaluate embarassment and put yourself to the head of that list.

Quit your ******ing or go stock some shelves at wallmart. Your probably one of the "lazy slobs" who will stay on calls just so you won't have to answer a call out of your "zone".

07-17-2006, 12:19 AM
I think its good pay for this area. If you want real bucks, go to the northeast or the LA area. Otherwise, quit whining and just do your job. How about even setting an example and have a little zone integrity. Just maybe it will catch on!

07-17-2006, 12:48 AM
WoW how can you ***** about pay at MSO???? why not go over to BPD or Palmetto and see what they make LOL not even close. On average I answer 19-22 calls for service and have to write 5-7 reports, and thats not even a busy day. Oh and try having only 5 officers working in the city on afternoons, or 6 if everyone shows up Geeesh how can you complain get real......

07-19-2006, 04:06 PM
it's so funny how people always ***** about the COPS deputies. I answer more callls for service than many of you zone deputies, and back up many of you on calls, and cancel other responding units, which keeps them available for service. When we aren't running around on projects given to us by our supervisors, we are in the grid, and we are a pro-active unit. And who is kissing a$$? If you put in for the position and do well on the oral board, you will be selected. You guys are like a bunch of little whiners!

07-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Oh Boy, I can't wait to read replies to that last post. :lol:

07-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Ok Admin boy, yes you are right we all know what COPS does. ( NOTHING ) unless the Bliss radio show is tying up grp-11 with his signal 100 B.S. for a nickel bag of weed, you guy's are hiding god knows where! As far as answering calls for service yeah right. Where is this taking place out in East 80?? Give it up and go back to hiding.

07-20-2006, 12:08 PM
for those of you who dont know, doing your job will only get you in trouble. for example, chasing a bad guy and having some idiot t-bone you. (it gets you tickets and days off!)

07-20-2006, 02:09 PM
MOVE ON ALREADY
SOME COPS DEPS ARE LAZY SOME ARE OVERZEALOUS AND SOME ARE GREAT COPS.
SOME PATROL DEPS ARE SORRY AND SOME ARE GREAT

IS THERE ANY WAY WE CAN TALK ABOUT PROBLEMS THAT ALL OF US HAVE AND NOT PROBLEMS WE HAVE WITH EACH OTHER. IF YOU ARE A REAL MAN OR WOMAN AND HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ANOTHER DEPUTY SAY SOMETHING TO THEM, DONT TALK SH*T ABOUT THEM ON THIS SITE.

07-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Hey LR STFU!! That is what this site is here for!! If it bothers you then go back under BG's Desk and do whatever it is you do.

07-21-2006, 11:56 AM
THAT WAS THE BEST YOU COULD DO HUH, BG'S DESK. LAME. INSTEAD OF TALKING SH*T ABOUT OTHERS WHY NOT TALK TO THEM. I DON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEM TAKING ABOUT ISSUES THAT OTHERS HAVE BROUGHT UP. VERY RARELY IS THAT ALL THAT IS TALKED ABOUT HERE HOWEVER. WE ALL HAVE TO DRAG PEOPLE THROUGH THE MUD AND START RUMOURS ABOUT EVERYONE. YOU KNOW WHAT M-S-O YOU ARE PROBABLY ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE ANYWAY SO I AM NOT GOING TO WAIST ANY MORE TIME DEBATING YOUR P.O.V. SO FU AND HAGD.