PDA

View Full Version : See, There Is Justice... Somewhere. Sad but True story.

CompanyClerk
07-10-2006, 10:39 PM
"When Nathan Radlich's house was burgled, thieves left his TV, his VCR, and even left his watch. What they did take was "generic white cardboard box filled with grayish-white powder." (That is at least the way the police described it.)

A spokesman for the Fort Lauderdale police said "that it looked similar to cocaine and they'd probably thought they'd hit the big time." Then Nathan stood in front of the TV cameras and pleaded with the burglars:

"Please return the cremated remains of my sister, Gertrude. She died three years ago."

Well, the next morning, the bullet-riddled corpse of a drug dealer known as Hoochie Pevens was found on Nathan's doorstep.

The cardboard box was there too; about half of Gertrude's ashes remained.

And there was this note. It said: "Hoochie sold us the bogus blow, so we wasted Hoochie.

Sorry we snorted your sister.

No hard feelings. Have a nice day."

07-11-2006, 12:26 AM
From Snopes.com

Origins:
The saga of Nathan Radlich's cremated sister's remains provides an interesting illustration of the difference between a legend and a news story. On 13 May 1993, thieves broke into the Radlich home in Boynton Beach, Florida, and made off with a cellophane-wrapped package of greyish-white powder that had been kept in a fishing tackle box at the head of the homeowner's bed. Radlich's television, VCR, radio, and watch were left undisturbed by the intruders — all they appeared to have wanted was the contents of that tackle box. Detectives working the case stated they had an awful feeling about why the ashes were stolen: they suspected the powder was mistaken for cocaine.

And there matters rest. In the real life tale, there was no bullet-riddled corpse turning up on Nathan's doorstep, no explanatory note left by the disappointed drug buyers. Even the bit about Radlich appealing on TV for the return of his sister's cremains was manufactured to make a better tale.

Well, at least were the cremains lifted because someone was fool enough to mistake them for cocaine? Barring the thieves someday stepping forward to explain the whys of their theft, we'll never know. Speculation on the part of the detectives is just that — speculation. Maybe the ashes were taken by a relative or friend who felt Gertrude deserved a better final resting place than a tackle box. Maybe they were lifted by someone curious about the nature of cremains, or by someone who for his own creepy reasons wanted to have a box of someone's ashes.

google.com with the name of "Nathan Radlich" leads one to the snopes.com site to provide true informaiton about the incident. :roll:

CompanyClerk
07-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Well most things in life that make us happy is just a facade anyway, so enjoy it while we can.

In the future I will check it out first and then maybe just let it be posted as a joke. Well it did bring a smile to my face and just a twinge that justice was done. Hey, that's why I go to the movies and read books.

If the world was a perfect place, it would not need cops and I would have made a really terrible shoe salesman.