PDA

View Full Version : Sex offender living at nursing home arrested

Merlin
07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst ... rse06.html (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-nurse06.html)

A convicted sex offender living at a North Side nursing home was arrested Wednesday after authorities discovered he allegedly violated state registration laws by reporting that he was homeless.

Tyrone Barber, 56, was living at Arbour Health Care Center at 1512 W. Fargo, said Cara Smith, policy director for Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan.

Earlier this year, police sent Barber a 30-day notice that he had to leave the nursing home because he was living within 500 feet of a school in violation of the Sex Offender Registration Act, Smith said.

Instead of moving, though, he told police in April that he was homeless. His photo, age, height, weight and the nature of his crime remained on the State Police sex offender registry -- but the nursing home's address was removed.

Skirting registration law

The state started allowing sex offenders to register as homeless on Jan. 1. They must re-register every week.

Acting on an inquiry by the Chicago Sun-Times, the Illinois attorney general's office last week started checking the 70 sex offenders listed as homeless on the State Police registry.

Most of those sex offenders appeared to be truly homeless, Smith said.

But a few, like Barber, appeared to be using their homeless status to avoid having their permanent addresses listed on the registry. They are defeating the central purpose of the registry, which is to allow neighbors to know if a sex offender is living nearby, officials say.

Barber -- convicted of aggravated criminal sexual assault of a victim under 18 -- was at Chicago Police headquarters attempting to re-register as being homeless when he was nabbed Wednesday.

'We're looking at this even closer'

Also Wednesday, Chicago Police arrested Leonard Winton, 40, for registering as homeless when he was really living at 352 S. Hamlin, Smith said.

He registered as homeless after police sent him notice that he needed to move because he lived 500 feet from a school, Smith said. Winton was convicted of aggravated criminal sexual assault of a minor under 13.

"Needless to say, we're looking at this even closer now," she said of sex offenders registering as homeless.

Arbour Health Care Center did not return a call seeking comment.

07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
need a little more information on these cases...for the nursing home individual....just how long ago was the offense? if their megan's law is like calif's where it goes back to 1944 will then they need to leave him alone...don't think too many children live in a nursing home! and hate to say it but if you were telling me i have to move everytime i gave you an address and couldn't be bothered telling me just where i could live..i'd stop giving you my address also.

07-07-2006, 01:14 AM
need a little more information on these cases...for the nursing home individual....just how long ago was the offense? if their megan's law is like calif's where it goes back to 1944 will then they need to leave him alone...don't think too many children live in a nursing home! and hate to say it but if you were telling me i have to move everytime i gave you an address and couldn't be bothered telling me just where i could live..i'd stop giving you my address also.

Have you registered Citizen ? It is an F3 not to register.

07-07-2006, 04:31 AM

Have you registered Citizen ? It is an F3 not to register.

last time i looked that wasn't NAZI GERMANY no matter what emperor bush is trying to do!...so citizen's arent' required to register! which is part of what you seem to be forgetting...unless your sex offenders have been stripped of their citizenship they are still citizen's of this country will all the rights of every other citizen....no where does the consititution give the authority to change that except for treason or taking up arms against the united states! and i hate to say it but a sex offense doesn't come up to that standard!

07-07-2006, 06:28 AM
a few years back they wanted a officer to arrest a SO who was transported to the hospital from a ACLF and charge him with not registering the hosptial adress. She stood on her moral grounds, said no and quit the department. She had 20 years and was a great officer. She is dong well now and well to have left here.

07-07-2006, 01:16 PM
good for her...pity we have to lose people with that kind of moral courage to stand up to bosses who want someting done they know may be legal but is hardly ethical!

07-07-2006, 09:49 PM
a few years back they wanted a officer to arrest a SO who was transported to the hospital from a ACLF and charge him with not registering the hosptial adress. She stood on her moral grounds, said no and quit the department. She had 20 years and was a great officer. She is dong well now and well to have left here.

I am for strict conditions on these sex offenders but I also have sen a few people call it quits because of all this confusion DOC ( and Legislature) has caused with open ended definitions of
" where children congregate" rtc. Some will lock them up because a neighbor has a piece of playground equipment.