PDA

View Full Version : Does North Port get its money's worth from the SSO?

News Flash
07-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Does North Port get its money's worth from the sheriff's office?
So, what do you get for your tax dollars from the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office?

At city meetings, residents have asked questions about double taxing for police services. They want to know why North Porters pay taxes to both the city for police and the county for the sheriff.Click here (http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive2/070206/np2.htm?date=070206&story=np2.htm) for the full story.

07-07-2006, 04:28 PM
So, what do you get for your tax dollars from the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office?

At city meetings, residents have asked questions about double taxing for police services. They want to know why North Porters pay taxes to both the city for police and the county for the sheriff.

A better question is what do North Port residents get for their tax dollars from NPPD. They have no concept of "customer service" whatsoever

07-07-2006, 04:31 PM

At city meetings, residents have asked questions about double taxing for police services. They want to know why North Porters pay taxes to both the city for police and the county for the sheriff.Click here (http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive2/070206/np2.htm?date=070206&story=np2.htm) for the full story.

My guess would be that the "SSO tax money" helps pay for the jail, and other services that are funded through the SSO. But I'm going with common sense and there's usually no place for that in government!

07-07-2006, 04:46 PM
For one, they can request the Sheriff's Office to handle their calls if they want by requesting it in writing directly to the Sheriff. Two, the Sheriff's Office serves all injunctions and civil paperwork unless a private processor is hired to do it. There are a few other reasons that I am not going to post on here but you can figure it out.

07-07-2006, 07:57 PM
I read the other day that the proposed budget for NPPD for next year is over $12 MILLION.