PDA

View Full Version : Click......... the movie

06-27-2006, 03:58 AM
CLICK………..Interesting move. I went with my wife today to see a comedy and was surprised to see a funny educational movie. If you have seen the movie it portrays a workingman that is torn between his family and his job. Please don’t start with; it’s a no brainier, family before job. Most have been there, working cases (because case numbers are the only thing that counts) and felt the pressure between the job and family. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a rookie and I’m not here to talk garbage about anyone.

I just find it interesting that the same people that did this same job years ago fall into the same frame of mind without change. It’s like a never-ending cycle of stress. Please don’t get me wrong, I love this job and would never consider anything else.

But getting back to the movie. IN THE END his boss was living it up on some Island and he was living with a family that went to all hell and regretting most of what he did in his life. He then died not relaying to the people he loved what he really felt. BUT, then awoken to realize that he could still make a difference.

We all don’t get the opportunity that this man had in the movie. People that supervise others don’t realize the impact that you have on the people that you control. PLEASE, if you want to make a difference in your job, start with the people that look up to you.

Have to say after serving many years in the military and then coming to the Sheriff’s Office, I had a supervisor (Sgt Hess) that understood what it meant to take care of your people and your people would take care of you.

06-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Dont think for a second that the brass will allow you to put family before stats. That is NO WAY TO GET PROMOTED!! The Sheriff needs votes, and you can rest when you die.

06-28-2006, 02:48 AM
Great original post!! How true. I can think of supervisors over the years that understood that this job is just that....a job. It is where we earn our living. Some define themselves by it, others just say it is what I do. Either way, decisions made by those above us effect us on more than a working level. Say you are a detective working set hours and have structured your family life as such. Then all of a sudden, you piss off a sergeant and wham, back to working a zone on mid-nights! The impact on this person and his/her family is monumental! What is even worse, those even higher don't even see us as inidividual people, but rather, numbers on a form. Sad. Does corporate America view its staff the same way?
Anyway, luckily now, I have supervisors who understand how your personal life effects your job and vice versa. I have had others in the past that did not, or didn't care, and they were awful. And while our families and emotions have nothing to do with this job, when you arbitrarily make decisions that effect these things on a very real level, they effect us in a way that makes us bitter and, in turn, effect how we do this job. so tonight, I am partisan! Anyone with rank, who does not view those under us as people, not only disservice us, but the office as a whole also.