PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff wants a new jail

News Flash
06-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Sheriff wants a new jail for sentenced prisoners

The downtown county jail is filled to capacity due to an increase in arrests. A consulting firm identified the Laurel area landfill as a potential new jail site because it is rural with the fewest residents. Click here (http://www.pelicanpress.org/main.asp?SectionID=130&SubSectionID=225&ArticleID=2304) for the full story.

06-14-2006, 11:42 PM
This jail is nothing but problems. While your at just give the entire thing to the county and make them county correction officers under of BCC

06-15-2006, 11:19 AM
In reply to the overcrowding issues, why don't we stop making physical arrests and just file PCA's? This would have a number of factors: #1-Eliminate the overcrowding problem, #2-Keep deputies on the streets longer since we won't have to wait an hour or more at that antiquated sally port, #3-Stop inconviencing the arrestees because as we know the SAO Nol Prosse's cases instead of going forth with them. If we follow this idea then first appearance will be a thing of the past and the court will run more efficiently.

06-15-2006, 11:25 AM
The last posting makes a lot of sense!!! We have suspended DL cases getting jail time in this county??? We cazn free up at least 200 or so beds just from BS cases that don't need jail time.

06-15-2006, 06:42 PM
But then stare crap nubers will go down and make Billy look bad :roll:

06-15-2006, 06:43 PM
But then star crap numbers will go down and make Billy look bad :roll:

06-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Are you nuts? Who gives a damn if we "inconvienience the arestee"?! You must work for the public pretenders office.

06-16-2006, 02:55 AM
SCSO im with you on that one. Where is the deterrent? You have a POS DWLSR and he gets a piece of paper? Like maybe theyll show for court or warrants will be able to find them on the bench warrant at the last motel room they rented.

If its a 1st maybe the summons. But if they have a DMV rap sheet I.E." multiple suspensions,faliure to appear,revoked 893 or 316", NVDL W/O positive ID etc., Hes/shes going in the car and their ride towed.

I much dont give a damn how crowded the jail is or how much the booking clerks whine or how chickenshi- the SAO is becoming, "the SAO thing is not just Sarasota County by the way". Im going to do whats right.

If the judge decides to ROR because the "poor guy" cant post bond and the jail is tight, "this has happened to me several times", thats his perogative. I did my part. Im enforcement, its not my problem if Corrections has issues.

If Beebo goes out tonight and drives because hes knows he can slide and Sig 7s someone tonight cause hes Sig1, the bloods on their hands not mine. I did my end of the deal.

The only way Ill let one go with paper is if were getting slammed with callls and someone will have to pull my weight if I T15. Just my .02

Yall be safe.

06-16-2006, 05:19 AM
Get over it South of the Border...Go lock up another SDL case. UNREAL! I can see multiple suspensions, but the poor moke who is having trouble paying his bills, misses and insurance payment and end up in jail for 30-days is BS!

06-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Is BB Frikkin Kidding!!!!
We can't keep enough staff to man the jail we have now and he wants to spend millions more of tax payers money on a new jail!! How about fixing the moral issues in the jail we have and then we can keep the good employees who are running out the door to other agencies. Heard yesterday that we are somewhere in the 40's down in personel, and now they are thinking of forcing the deputies who are dual certified to work OT in the jail on their days off. I'm sorry but you inability to manage the jail does not constitute an emergency on my part, last I knew an emergency was something like a fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane, or mass civil unrest, not your freakin fault by mismanagement for years.
Stop throwing more gas on the fire and fix the problems. Pay a better wage, get rid of the crappy supervisors that are making the job and life in general harder for the poor working Detention Deputy and start treating your people with the respect and appreciation they deserve. This administration throws away good people like the grow on trees, well now we are 40 something sort in the jail and getting worse every day, when will it stop.
Forcing the Deputies from the Road and elsewhere will not fix the problem, it will only cause some of them to leave, and we are already short on the road as it is. Daily zones are left unmanned. If the taxpapers knew that they were not getting what they pay for they would be up in arms.

Maybe BB and some of his command staff should be forced to work 50 and 60 hrs weeks,,,that's if we could get them to work at 40 hrs week to start with!!!

06-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Heard yesterday that we are somewhere in the 40's down in personel, and now they are thinking of forcing the deputies who are dual certified to work OT in the jail on their days off. I'm sorry but you inability to manage the jail does not constitute an emergency on my part,Yes, the jail is 40 correctional officers down/short. Thats a pretty big number. :?

Major Stinger, who was arrested for DUI and was thrown in jail, is now in charge of the jail because Sheriff Bill Balkwill made him the jail commander. The fox is running the hen house and we are morally bankrupt. :?

Major Stinger suggested to Sheriff Balkwill that dual certified road officers can work manditory OT in the jail, but most dual certified officers are already doing that. Those who aren't are married and have "lives" to live, instead of working 60 hour workweeks. I won't answer the phone when they call me for manditory OT and if they knock on my door, I won't answer. It's their crisis -- not mine.

We're morally bankrupt because those who have been arrested are now in charge. :?

06-16-2006, 11:33 PM
SSO jj,

Thats basically what I said. A 1st maybe a summons. But the rap sheet goes.

Anyway, the last time I looked a FR suspension, "insurance suspension", does not constitute knowledge and would be a moving infraction and a bad arrest to start with unless knowledge is acknowledged by the violator. Many drivers arent even aware they have an FR suspension.

I think the word here is discretion. The rap sheet goes to the pokey.

Have a good day/night