PDA

View Full Version : Useless Agency

06-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Does this Agecny even need to exist? As a taxpayer I want my money to be spent on crime prevention and resolutions rather than an unneeded dog and pony show! From reading several postings by employees, I feel the need to call my State Rep. and request that the funding be diverted to more useful causes! For the record, no I'm not a disgruntled employee , just a curious business owner.

06-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Believe it or not, this agency does need to exist. There are a lot of environmental criminals out there and a lot of good officers here who would like to be doing our jobs. But we can't because the present director is the one who made this a dog and pony show from day one. That's what happens when a political wiseguy is allowed to manage a law enforcement agency. You'd have a stroke if I told you how much money he and his cronies waste. But If I did that, they'd figure out who I am. I'd lose my job and my home and probably have to file for bankruptcy. If other people didn't depend on me for food and shelter, I'd say "screw it", tell you everything, and personally drive you to your State Reps office. But don't kid yourself. Whistle blower laws are just about useless. And remember this. The fact that many of us are disgruntled isn't nearly as important as the reasons why. Being disgruntled doesnt' mean we're not doing the best we can under adverse conditions.

06-14-2006, 04:00 PM
If you think DEP is bad, go read some of the other boards from agencies...I would point you in the direction of my agency board but some who read this might put two and two together. I think you could find alot better things to complain about to our rep then how much good DEP does. I think their are more serious issues in our state.

06-15-2006, 12:03 AM
I am not a FDEP Officer and I do think the agency is needed, however an overhaul of the management needs to be presented, thats obvious look at the morale just on here.

06-15-2006, 02:10 AM
We are very needed, do your home work before trying to slam the agency. Our Bureau of Park Patrol has one of the highest arrest records based on the number of people they incounter.

We are the ones that go it alone... Our back-up is sometimes 30 minutes out on a good day, but yet we still hold our ground.

I'll leave you with this " We may be a small agency, but we cut a large path as we come through." If you still doubt us check with all those agencies and area's that we assisted during the recent years involving Hurricanes. We have the tools and the will-power to not only get the job done, but we also care about those we assist, from a small child caught in a rip-tide to the victims of natural disasters. Think about it, we go from traffic enforcement, to 4x4 vehicle patrol to running deep water sometimes miles out and back to poacher details and we can be called on to do this at anytime of the day. How many Troopers have the training and ability to do this? Not many.

If you still feel like getting rid of us, take it on step further, come out and do a ride-a-long and see the real Park Patrol in action.

06-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Everything you wrote about can be carried out by other Agencies, (Sheriffs, FWCC). You proved my point, I don't want my money thats being set aside for polluters and dumpers to be spent on traffic enforcement!!!!

06-19-2006, 02:46 AM
I guess your dumb and didn't read the posts above. Go do a ride along if you think they do nothing. SO wouldnt touch a state park or get involved in anything that required them to do more then respond to a call. Maybe you should take a look at where your taxdollars are being spent....because if your paying my salary, no wonder I make less then a shoe salesman. Im sorry buddy but your barking up the wrong tree.

06-19-2006, 03:10 AM
You make a some fair points. But the problem isn't with the concept of our agency. The problem is with the execution of the concept by management. Our boss isn't a cop who worked his way to the top. He's politician who had no environmental law enforcement background before getting the job. He doesn't understand cops and he doesn't know to successfully manage a law enforcement agency or its officers. His second in command isn't a cop. He's a lawyer and longtime personal friend of the boss. How do you think he got the job? These guys don't care about putting polluters and dumpers in jail. They're too busy putting on a dog and pony. If you don't think the agency is doing a good job, please don't blame those of us who work in the field. We're doing the best we can considering how badly managed we are. I'm sure we could do a lot better if this place was run like a real law enforcment agency instead of the bosses personal public relations firm.

06-19-2006, 02:50 PM
If you think that the DEP is mismanaged, read the posts on the Charlotte County Sheriff board, or the ones on the Sarasota Sheriff board. They make the DEP look much better.

06-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Took your advice and read the cc and sc boards. They didn't look as bad to me as they apparently do to you. But for arguments sake let's say they were. It proves my point. Sheriff's are elected and have enormous power, and power corrupts. It's like meth. They get addicted to it and it warps their values and judgment. Now consider our former three term small county sheriff whose political friends got him put in charge of our division. What a rush that must been. He hasn't come back to earth yet.

06-19-2006, 06:25 PM
PERSONALLY,I APPRECIATE THE WORK THAT THIS AGENCY DOES. I AM NOT EMPLOYED BY THEM, HOWEVER I DID HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO WORK WITH THEM WHEN THEY ASSISTED DURING LAST YEARS HURRICANES. I HAD NEVER PAID MUCH ATTENTION TO THEM AND REALLY HAD NO IDEA OF THE SCOPE OF THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES, WHICH I ASSURE ARE QUITE BROAD.
YES, THERE ARE OTHER AGENCIES THAT COULD DO THE WORK THAT THEY DO, HOWEVER, IF YOU WORK IN LAW ENFORCEMENT AT ALL YOU KNOW THAT SERVICES ARE SPREAD THIN THESE DAYS AND POLITICAL ISSUES CLOUD LINES. IF THEY WERE DISSOLVED OR MERGED WITH ANOTHER SECTOR WOULD YOU STILL HAVE THE SAME DEGREE OF SERVICES READILLY AVAILABLE? OR THE AMOUNT OF DIVERSIFIED TRAINING THAT THESE GUYS HAVE? WOULD IT BE THERE FOR THEM STILL?
I THINK THESE GUYS AND GIRLS DO AN EXCELLENT JOB AND HAVE MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES FOR PROTECTION IN MANY ASPECTS FOR THE STATE OF FLORIDA IN GENERAL. THEY ARE THE MOST PROFESSIONAL GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT I HAVE EVER HAD THE PLEASURE OF MEETING AND BECAUSE OF THERE ABILITY TO BE SO DIVERSE THEY WERE ABLE TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE PUBLIC AND THE AGENCIES THEY WERE ASSISTING IN SO MANY WAYS, IT WAS NICE TO HAVE A POINT OF ASSISTANCE THAT HAD READY INFORMATION AND RESOURCES WITHOUT AN "I"LL HAVE TO GET BACK WITH YOU ON THAT."
I LOUDLY APPLAUD AND PRAISE YOU GUYS EVERY OPPORTUNITY THAT ARISES AND ALTHOUGH I DO NOT WISH FOR ANOTHER HURRICANE I LOOK FORWARD TO WORKING WITH ANY OF YOU ANYTIME THE SITUATION MERITS YOUR PRESENCE!!!!!!!

06-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Took your advice and read the cc and sc boards. They didn't look as bad to me as they apparently do to you. But for arguments sake let's say they were. It proves my point. Sheriff's are elected and have enormous power, and power corrupts. It's like meth. They get addicted to it and it warps their values and judgment. Now consider our former three term small county sheriff whose political friends got him put in charge of our division. What a rush that must been. He hasn't come back to earth yet.

Did you read Sarasota comments that the Sheriff is a drunk, the Chief Deputy is a sexual abuser, the Acting Major has a strange relationship with the Chief Deputy? That morale is low, that they are very understaffed, that there is no recognition for doing a good job? That the educational requirement was lowered to get the Chief Deputy's son hired? And on and on and on?

Did you read Charlotte County posts that the Sheriff and Chief Deputy are incompetent? That they turn on their own staff for press opportunities? THAT MORALE IS BOTTOMED OUT?

I don't know what you were reading, but employees on both of these boards are crying out for help. You think DEP is worse off? Give me a break!

06-19-2006, 10:59 PM

If you really want to get the blues, go to the Florida Dept of Corrections site, and read what Correctional Probation Officers have to say.

06-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Lurker –

If you work here you ought to know that accusations of alcohol abuse, marital infidelity, questionable sexual behavior and the hiring of personal friends or relatives are no strangers to our upper crust. The morale problem goes without saying. We ought to be focusing our attention on our problems. Not Charlotte or Sarasota’s.

06-20-2006, 01:38 AM
This guy stirring the pot has also been on many other sites trying the same thing,,, don't feed into his trick's... He's one of those that did not pass the test. the kind that put three antenna's on there p.o.v.'s to make them look important..

just a jerk,,,,jerking you guys

06-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Sounds like you know the guy. What's his name? What other sites has he been on? What test did he not pass? What kind of car did he put all those antennas on? You try to make fun of him, but you don't refute anything he says. Who's really the one trying to jerk us around?

06-20-2006, 05:17 PM
If you think you know who I am, please post my name. Like I stated, I'm a concerned tax paying citizen. I've read all of the replies to my question, yet nobody has explained to me why D.E.P. Officers are enforcing traffic on City Streets! (No, I didn't receive a ticket from one of you guys). With the enormous amount of Environmental Crime that occurs on a daily basis and if you guys are stretch as thin as you claim, then how do any of you have time to ride around in a boat or bicycles? Again just curious! For the record I am a former Police Officer, however I now own my own Businesses, so I do write with a little validity!!

06-20-2006, 06:14 PM
I bet their is a good reason why hes a "former" LEO.

06-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Your right Floridaleo there is. Its called $250,000 a year. If you paid Uncle Sam over $40,000 a year in personal income tax, then you would understand my concerns. When you do come back and repost!

06-21-2006, 01:14 AM
If you think you know who I am, please post my name. Like I stated, I'm a concerned tax paying citizen. I've read all of the replies to my question, yet nobody has explained to me why D.E.P. Officers are enforcing traffic on City Streets! (No, I didn't receive a ticket from one of you guys). With the enormous amount of Environmental Crime that occurs on a daily basis and if you guys are stretch as thin as you claim, then how do any of you have time to ride around in a boat or bicycles? Again just curious! For the record I am a former Police Officer, however I now own my own Businesses, so I do write with a little validity!!

Validity,,

Note--If you are a former LEO then you should know DEP has a primary mission of patrolling areas dealing with our Environment,,ie park,rivers,lakes--see where Im going with this and as far as pulling people over on city streets.

Im guessing could be wrong but I bet those city streets are in the State of Florida.

Hence the words STATE LAW ENFORCEMENT.

Its not done everyday but on a rare instance a person will get stopped by DOT,DEP,DOA. Oh and those are other State LE Agencies in case your former LEO concept has worn thin. Rest assured, Yours and My tax dollars are spent well.

06-21-2006, 01:17 AM
Everything you wrote about can be carried out by other Agencies, (Sheriffs, FWCC). You proved my point, I don't want my money thats being set aside for polluters and dumpers to be spent on traffic enforcement!!!!

Ok tell me your job and Ill bet I can find another company or sub contractor who will do the same thing. Traffic Enforcement is needed just as any other aspect of LE. SHeriffs can most likely carry the entire State but Legislature feels diffrent thats why we have, Environmental,Agriculture,Wildlife,Highway. We all have a specialty but we enforce everything.

06-21-2006, 01:12 PM
To Guest, How many felony Environmental cases have you made in the past month, year......career?? Let me guess 1 maybe 2!!

06-21-2006, 01:22 PM

Ok tell me your job and Ill bet I can find another company or sub contractor who will do the same thing. Traffic Enforcement is needed just as any other aspect of LE. SHeriffs can most likely carry the entire State but Legislature feels diffrent thats why we have, Environmental,Agriculture,Wildlife,Highway. We all have a specialty but we enforce everything.

I'm in the retail industry, which means I have to provide my customers with what they pay for. If I fail to do this then they will go to others for the product that I'm not providing. Hence, Department of Environmental Protection conducting boating and traffic stops equals to no time left for Waste Dumpings, Dry Cleaner run-offs, Illegal vegetation removal..... Get the point SHERLOCK!!!

06-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Dear guest,

Have you even bother to research your comments of just what FDEP does. Its obvious you have not. There is much more than dumping and waters. That is obviously your own narrow minded conclusion. I encourage you to educate yourself and go to FDEP website www.myflorida.com (http://www.myflorida.com) and click on it from there.

You will note there is much more than your stigmata responses offer. Evironmental means just that. Vessel Enforcement- IE safety checks..Polluting waterways with boats if they arent maintained and inspected, trails and aaaaaaatv as Hunters and People tear down our greenways. Maybe you should look at the big picture.

Signed,,

SHERLOCK :)

06-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm in the retail industry, which means I have to provide my customers with what they pay for. If I fail to do this then they will go to others for the product that I'm not providing. Hence, Department of Environmental Protection conducting boating and traffic stops equals to no time left for Waste Dumpings, Dry Cleaner run-offs, Illegal vegetation removal..... Get the point SHERLOCK!!![/quote]

Typical response from someone who has no concept of Law Enforcement other than Friday night at the movies. Stick with Retail and Ill sticl with Law Enforcement.

DEP provides just fine but you obviously have no idea of that, We have Regulatory and Enforcement. Does Retail teach you the difference??

06-22-2006, 12:51 AM
To concerned tax payer -

Don’t be too disappointed by the few knee-jerk responses you’ve been getting to your concerns. I can tell you for certain that a lot of us here are as frustrated with the waste and mismanagement as you are. We know we could be doing much more, but we're stuck with a boss who, to put it kindly, isn’t rowing with both oars in the water. Sorry.

06-22-2006, 03:57 AM
Alright, I have sat in the wings and listened to your crap long enough... time to vent. I'm sorry that you got booted out of your LEO job and now you and Al Bundy are in the retail business together selling shoes; however, just because you got a ticket you don't think you deserved (that's never happened before) doesn't mean that limiting our powers will be a green light for you to continue to drive like an ________.
As far as taxpayers getting their monies worth, my partner and I have arrested 11 people already this year for Felony Environmental Crimes. In addition, our referrals and assistance to regulatory in investigations has netted over $300,000.00 in fines levied to violators. In addition to that our assistance to local S.O.'s, P.D.'s and other state and Federal agencies has resulted in another 24 felony arrests. This is just 2 people out of one office.
Yes, we have problems at DEP just like other LEO agencies, but we have brought ourselves to rise above the selfish motivations of a few to give the TAXPAYERS their just service; even when we have to deal with people like you.

06-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Greetings taxpay. Just a few things "listening" forgot to explain to you. Law enforcement and regulatory are separate divisions. Most of the cases we refer to them would have endend up there even if we didn't exist. Some of those cases actually started there, came to us, and then got sent back to them. And, since we have no control in determing civil regulatory penalties, it is disingenuous to suggest that we deserve credit for them. We're glad to help out other agencies and we do them some good, but it is misleading to suggest that our assistance is pivotal to them making arrests or successfully concluding their investigations. Since he didn't give you the details, I guess you'll just have to take his word for the 11 felony arrests he mentions. You might have noticed that he didn't say anything about our high turn-over rate and low morale. And if you want to know about selfish motivations, do a public records request for our divisions salaries for the past five years and see how much of the rate money went to the officers and agents in the field, and how much of it went into the pockets of the top brass. You'd also find it interesting to check out their travel expenditures of the brass, like, where they go, where they stay, and why they go in the first place. Ever hear of traveling to a resort city and staying at a nice hotel to hold meetings about issues that you could have resolved in a thirty minute teleconference? That's just scratching the surface.

06-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Man what a bunch of job scared wanna bes! I appreciate the civilized feed back on my subject, from the ones that actually understand my objective. To the few "wanna bes", as I previously wrote, I was a POLICE OFFICER for over 15 years, and got tired of only making 40 to 50,000 per year. Futhermore, I may not understand looking for a lost picnic basket with Boo Boo, but i do understand that the boating checks and hunter issues should be carried out by the FWCC and traffic enforcement by real COPS!!! I simply would like my money spent on REAL Environmental cases (as one of the previous posters mentioned)instead of a few cry baby rent-a-cops that run around and try to enforce actual Statutes Or Administrative Codes, again divert those responsibilities to the rightful Agencies. Once again I DID NOT GET A CITATION THAT PROVOKED THIS CONCERN! Thanks once more for enlighting me on the fact that we do still have ACTUAL Environmental Cases being worked, it is somewhat reassuring!!

06-23-2006, 01:26 AM
Man what a bunch of job scared wanna bes! I appreciate the civilized feed back on my subject, from the ones that actually understand my objective. To the few "wanna bes", as I previously wrote, I was a POLICE OFFICER for over 15 years, and got tired of only making 40 to 50,000 per year. Futhermore, I may not understand looking for a lost picnic basket with Boo Boo, but i do understand that the boating checks and hunter issues should be carried out by the FWCC and traffic enforcement by real COPS!!! I simply would like my money spent on REAL Environmental cases (as one of the previous posters mentioned)instead of a few cry baby rent-a-cops that run around and try to enforce actual Statutes Or Administrative Codes, again divert those responsibilities to the rightful Agencies. Once again I DID NOT GET A CITATION THAT PROVOKED THIS CONCERN! Thanks once more for enlighting me on the fact that we do still have ACTUAL Environmental Cases being worked, it is somewhat reassuring!!

Yep You answered my question FROMER COP of 15 years and now youre in Retail,, Oh yeah theres a pay raise. Hey gomer sell that crap to someone else and try another board. Your ideas of LE are most likely why your not wearing a badge and gun.

06-23-2006, 01:28 AM
Sorry I misspelled Former Cop,,I actually meant XXXX-cop. I dont even believe that because even X- and former cops have an idea of what we do, Its obvious selling shoes has got you confused. I know getting all those sizes right are hard things to remember when you walk to the back and bring it back out...

06-23-2006, 05:05 AM
People hate it when they get a traffic citation, funny he keeps repeating himself that he didnt...what a loser. Just pay it and get on with your life "concerned taxpayer". Next time im at your shoe store can I get a size 12 boot to stick up your a$$?

06-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Mr. Taxpayer -
If you find it spooky that a few of our gun-toting arrest-empowered brothers have the kind maturity and judgement that would cause them to deliver these childish replies to your legitimate concerns, imagine how creepy it is for us when they arrive as back-up and we have to wonder if that same maturity and judgement is going to cause them to do something that will get us sued, fired or killed. Help!!

06-23-2006, 04:35 PM
If I was your back up I would probably be the only thing that saved your a$$ from shooting yourself in the foot barney. I get so tired of people complaining and hearing that statement "I pay your salary". Im not a DEP officer, I work for another larger city agency in florida. I hear that crap once a week and all type of other bogus complaints. If your not getting complained on then your not doing your job, period. I think DEP is a good agency with plenty of use. Concerned taxpayer, go write your letter to whoever you want. Im tired of hearing your crap though. Go post somewhere else instead of pissing off law enforcement officers that have a job to do, we deal with enough without adding your bull****.

06-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Well, who could possibly argue with such cogently expressed and logical arguments as that? I’m sure they have done wonders in educating and winning the goodwill of concerned taxpayers. We appreciate your support, but we’ve got serious problems here that you don’t know anything about, and your angry tirade isn’t helping. So, since you don’t work here and concerned taxpayer wasn’t addressing you or your agency, maybe you’re the one who needs to go post somewhere else. You actually sound like a basically good guy who really cares and I don't doubt that you're a good cop. But it sounds like you may have a substance abuse or anger management problem, or maybe just need a vacation. I wish you well.

06-24-2006, 02:59 AM
The above poster sounds like "taxpayer" as well as a couple of other posts. I suspect he is answering some of the posts under other names to support his positition.

06-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Yes, I'm a tax payer. I'm also a LEO. So, aside from the emotional relief we get from venting, how do we benefit from launching personal insults and writing off as idiots those members of the public, especially former LEO's, when they raise legitimate questions or concerns? If you're a state LEO, you should know that no matter how good a job us grunts in the field are doing, the lunatics are running this asylum. Their mismanagement of human resources (that's us) and the amount of money (that's our taxes too) that they waste are staggering.

06-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Thanks guest ... I suspected all along this was some teeanager just trying to get a rise out of us. He is cut off.

06-26-2006, 11:55 AM
It's nice to realize that there are few level headed Proffessionals looking out for our Environmental best interest. I did not intend to bring out such childlike behavior from the men and women responsible for protecting .........the real florida! However, from my research, and from the feed back from this board it does seem appearent that the patrol side of the DEP is useless!! Not the Officers, just the concept of the Park Police. It looks like the FWCC and FHP would be able to perform the same tasks assigned to the Park Police, which would cut all of the FAT in Tallahassee. Which equals great saving to us Concerned Taxpayers! Thanks for all of the feed back both positive and negative, it makes for a more educated decision on my part. I'm going to start my drive for this action immediately, thanks again. Please continue to post its very informative. Please be careful!!

06-26-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't think you have done all your research thoroughly. One area of the state has collected over $250,000.00 in fines last year protecting our state parks, lands, and waters! Just a fact for you!

06-26-2006, 03:47 PM
To Careful, What area? Fines for what? Case Numbers? Lets see who has done their research!!

06-27-2006, 03:24 AM
Mr. Tax Payer.

Have you looked into our Bureau of Environmental Investigations? You should. There are 39 sworn Officers that investigate only Environmental Crimes. They are the ones that go after the big and the small, when they pull in fines it can range into the hundred's of thousands. They also place leans against those who are repeat customers. BEI also depends very much on the Patrol Division for assistance and leads. Patrol is the front line and they are very much needed.

Let’s just settle up with you now... Chances are you live on run down property that does not have a value worthy of paying taxes. And by some slim chance you do pay your share taxes, then please provide us with an address so that we can mail you your 20 or 30 cents that we received from you back, so that you call someone that really gives a damm what you think.

Better yet MAN UP, then shut up

06-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Mr. Taxpayer,
The previous post is partially correct. You should look into our BEI. But to get the truth you’re going to have to do public record requests, review expenditures and case files, and track down and talk to former employees who have quit or been fired. You won’t get the truth by talking to the Director. His act of illusions, smoke and mirrors and slight-of-hand could confuse David Copperfield. His Deputy Director is a shill and hand-picked college buddy who has been part of the act for years. His Bureau Chief is a job-scared puppet who would tell you anything just to save his own job. Ditto’s for the Bureau Captain. Most of the Investigators won’t talk to you because they’re too honest to lie and too afraid of losing their jobs for telling you the truth. It may be a pain in the butt to do the research by reviewing the records and talking to former employees, but it would be well worth your effort.

06-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Well, first off the individual that loves to attack the Director, let it go! We know your feelings! We are trying to give some legitimate information here. Florida Public records will give you access to this information. Contact Florida Park Patrol or Florida Park system and ask for the HOSP funds that have been collected for environmental damages!

06-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Taxpayer -

Did you notice that "collections" says "We are trying to give some legitimate information here", but that he or she didn't deny what was in the post they were responding to? That should tell you that you're on the right track.

06-28-2006, 12:51 AM
Trust me, it was NOT BEI. They are useless little you know whats. Let me correct that, they are made useless by the upper management they fall under. BEI doesn't think that Park Police do environmental crimes, boy are they confused! What can I say, FPP turn over a lot of money for environmental crimes back to the GOvt to use for restoration, etc. Happy Research!

06-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Can some of the outstanding rent-a-cops that continue to write about how much money has been "recovered" (how many Benjamins have the Taxpayers actually seen?) for Environmental Crimes, start putting Case #'s or name the Investigators invovled or just any facts about the case that their referencing? Probably not because it's easy to talk sh!t and not back it up (truth be known its really the reason they became cops in the first place, to hide behind a badge and gun so they wouldn't continue to lose their lunch money). I believe the Investigations section is handcuffed, by their Administration, however the Patrol section appears to be on the clock to pass out charcoal to campers and ensure that no racoons entrude upon their picnic baskets!!! What an awful waste of resources!!!!

06-28-2006, 12:38 PM
I think that taxpayer is correct. I do not think that he received a traffic citation. My guess is he received an NTA for alcohol consumption or something similar. I bet we "ruined" his family time.

06-28-2006, 12:54 PM
OK big mouth, I am sure that you would enjoy the case numbers to find out who is trying to show your stupidity. If you were so smart you would be able to locate this information yourself. Do you even know what a HOSP fund is? Yes, the monies are put back into the preservation of the environment, check it out, oh forgot, you just want to brawl beat and attack the Director. We really do feel sorry for you that you are so displeased with your life. Most of us enjoy ourselves and make the best of what we have. Ofcourse, those of us that have been in other agencys enjoy our work because we get to see the rewards of our work, not always putting the same "crack head" in jail every month. Obviously, you are not mature enough to know this. See a doctor would you!

06-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Well Mr. Taxpayer, it looks like Collections and Two Cents have thrown down the gauntlet. If I had the financial resources you have, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. It's an easy win.

06-28-2006, 09:20 PM
OK big mouth, I am sure that you would enjoy the case numbers to find out who is trying to show your stupidity. If you were so smart you would be able to locate this information yourself. Do you even know what a HOSP fund is? Yes, the monies are put back into the preservation of the environment, check it out, oh forgot, you just want to brawl beat and attack the Director. We really do feel sorry for you that you are so displeased with your life. Most of us enjoy ourselves and make the best of what we have. Ofcourse, those of us that have been in other agencys enjoy our work because we get to see the rewards of our work, not always putting the same "crack head" in jail every month. Obviously, you are not mature enough to know this. See a doctor would you!

Hey Collections, When is the last time your Director has done a ride along with one of you guys? Probably never. Think about it Sherlock, he thinks the Park Police is useless too. By the way I'm extremely pleased with my life, I'm on my clock getting paid to address OUR FDEP's uselessness!! (Still no Case #'s)

06-29-2006, 01:23 AM
i like to spend the majority of my work day not working calls, taking a nap, eating lunch, taking a couple coffee breaks and enjoying the florida sun.

i hope they keep you guys employed and working those parks cause im tryin to eat my lunch on the boat.

i can probably handle the parks also taxpayer but im tryin to relax here, leave em alone will ya?

06-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Well it is pretty obvious that you sound like a supervisor who is disgruntled about your job! It doesn't take an Einstein to figure that out! We out here do know that Chief Stephens gave a blessing to supervisors to monitor this in one of his previous "supervisor" phone conferences.

As for the case numbers, do your own research. Call DEP Tallahassee and ask them for the cases. They are public records or is that too much like work for you.

Got that appt. yet?

06-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Collections, Did you get that title from creditors? Probably did, try to pay your bills rent-a-cop!

06-30-2006, 01:15 AM
You see, I told you needed an appt. What in the world are you talking about? You wanted proof of jobs, you got it, now that is all you have to say? We feel sorry for you.

07-15-2006, 04:27 AM
Mr. Taxpayer,

I respect your concerns about the duplication of police services offered by DEP; however, being referred to as a rent-a-cop is insulting.

I assure you, I provide the same law enforcement services that municipal and county agencies provide. I just provide them to the parks throughout Florida. While I am expected to handle resource violations, my main priority is public safety. To say that I am not completing my mission as a member of FDEP because I am not making felony environmental crimes, is false. Just as a patrol officer at a local agency would take the initial report of a burglary only to pass it on to an investigator to try and solve the crime, I am not expected to investigate felony environmental crimes. I am expected to make sure that the guests of Florida's state parks are safe.

While it is true that FWCC and county agencies could complete the services we provide, the same could be said for the argument of dissolving municipal agencies, or at least combining them with their respective county agencies. Why duplicate any law enforcement function? I am not saying that DEP is managed perfectly, but I believe the rank-and-file officers are completing the mission assigned to them. If there were thousands of DEP officers assigned to parks around Florida, I would agree that would be excessive; however, we have a small agency. If you want to argue that the state could take our funding and disperse it to other agencies that could take over our services (i.e. FHP, FWCC, or county agencies), why not dissolve FHP and turn all traffic related services over to the local or county agencies? With the funding FHP receives, every local or county agency in the state could afford to have a traffic division that could complete the same mission that FHP does.

I am sorry you feel I am not a real police officer because I do not patrol a city or county. When I kiss my wife goodbye before I leave for work, I cannot promise her I will return that evening. That is because anything can, and often does happen in a state park. Each contact I make with an individual, whether it be for consumption of alcohol in the park, or catching a person committing a burglary, has the potential to end my life, just as any other law enforcement officer. I don't know of any rent-a-cops that can say the same.

If you believe that FDEP, Florida Park Patrol is not needed, contact your state representative. However, realize that while the Park Patrol is around, there are some of us laying our lives on the line each day, and providing professional law enforcement services to....the real Florida.

07-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Thank you for your Professional feedback!

07-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Just wanted the concern taxpayer to know that I solved another enviromental case that will recover approximately 50,000 dollars in fines.

Just doing our job!

07-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Good Job Collections, What’s that got to do with my tax dollars (allotted for Environmental crime solving) paying a Park Police Officer to write a citation for F.S. 316 on the Interstate, or a Park Police Officer walking around a Festival at a State Park, shaking hands and kissing babies? Again, tasks that are meant for FHP, STEP units or off-duty Deputies. I've been doing a little research on the "responsibilities" of the BPP and everyday it seems more obvious that they (BPP) have to be one of the biggest wastes of Taxpayers monies.

I've been writing letters in support of a single State Law Enforcement agency, broken up into numerous divisions. Hopefully, that would cut the positions held by the many useless Administrators (Trammel, Stephens and Gibson etc..) which would allow the Taxpayers hard earned resources to be utilized in such a fashion that streamlines the many areas of accountability that falls on the State of Florida.

By the way Collections, $50,000 x 100 Park Cops= $ 5,000,000 (which is probably the amount of Environmental Damage occurring on a weekly basis), in other words I sure hope that you (and your fellow Park Cops) can continue to recover (that means a cleared check from the defendants) that amount of money weekly to justify your existence. GOOD LUCK

07-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Back to 316 again...I wonder why you keep talking about citations. You know if I was on my way home and I saw someone run a red light in front of me or driving wreckless I would stop them as well. Im a city officer and I live out in the county and drive my marked cruiser home. I have stopped people in the county I live in and called dispatch to have a SO in route so the ticket gets stroked. I would hope a "park cop" would do the same and since hes a "State LEO" he wouldnt have to go to the extra trouble I would. Enforcing the law is my job, even if I am in the county jurisdiction.

07-18-2006, 04:43 AM
Since your post sounds highly suspicious to me, would you be kind enough to answer a few follow-up questions? Under whose authority do you conduct traffic stops outside of your jurisdiction for non-criminal civil infractions? And what S.O. is allowing their Deputies to issue uniform traffic citations for civil infractions that they did not observe based on your observations? What judicial circuit do you work in and who are the state attorney and clerk of courts that is allowing these citations to go through?

07-18-2006, 06:08 AM
What you mean is you could stop then if they are a "DUI" and you feel if you dont then you could put someone in danger. And you call the jurisdiction and get them enroute as soon as possible and only stop them if you have to, I have seen that done.

07-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Someone needs to read their statute book a little more often. Another officer can write a citation based on a sworn officers testimony/witness. Look it up. Hey, that book is given to you to cover your @#$@! Use it, look at it, pray with it if you need to, don't short change yourself.

Respectfully submitted,

Statute

07-18-2006, 03:51 PM
With equal respect to you, I read the book... again. When I could find nothing in it to support your view, I contacted the State Attorney in my jurisdiction and I posed the precise hypothetical situation we are discussing. According to him, you are mistake. A police officer is not entitled to conduct traffic stops for civil traffic infractions he witnesses outside of his jurisdiction. If he does conduct such a stop, an officer having jurisdiction where the violation occured may not issue a civil infraction citation based on the other officers observation. An exception would be an officer acting with in the scope of mutual aid activity covered under a mutual aid agreement, for example, a multi-jursdictional DUI enforcement campaign. I think you're thinking of the "fellow officer rule" which does not apply to civil infractions that occur in your presence outside of your jurisdiction. If you still insist that you are correct, please tell me where you work and where you live so I can arrange to commit such a violation in front of you. Hopefully you will stop me and have your other officer friend issue me a citation which I can then get arrested for for refusing to sign. I can already smell the money from the settlement.

07-18-2006, 06:37 PM
At the moment all I can verify is a mutual aide agreement, for traffic or dui or whatever. Gives an officer that power. The officer being dual sworn in that county. The officer stopping a "suspected" DUI "breach of the peace" outside his jurisdiction. All those are valid but I have heard of the above postings happening.

07-19-2006, 12:29 AM
A Sheriff has the authority to vest municipal officers with county wide jurisdiction. Sheriffs are reluctant to do that because of the liability issue. A municipal officer so vested who screws up while exercising that authority outside of his own agencey's jurisdication would fall under the Sheriff’s umbrella, not his own agency’s. I’m not saying that there aren’t circumstances where we can justify conducting stops for a violation outside of our jurisdictions. I’m just saying that we need to make sure that the circumstances are serious enough to risk sticking our necks out. Felonies and serious misdemeanors might make the grade, and I don’t think many any SA’s or Judges would fault us for trying to hold down the fort until the troops with jurisdiction arrived to take over. But civil traffic infractions aren’t worth it. We’ve got nothing to cover us if something goes bad. Think of it this way. You stop a car for running a stop sign outside of your jurisdiction. You approach the driver and ask for his driver’s license. He looks at your uniform and sees that you’re outside of your jurisdiction. He flips you off, tells you to pound sand, and casually drives away. Now what? Are you going to start a pursuit or drive home with egg on your face? There isn’t a third option. I’m not an ambulance chase. I’m just a cop and an academy instructor who has seen too many basically good guys lose their careers because they didn’t pick their battles and weigh the risks before acting.

07-19-2006, 12:33 PM
You see, this website forum can be used for positive outcomes. Good job people!