PDA

View Full Version : CURRENT OPENINGS

05-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Is there currently ANY opening for ROAD PATROL??????????????????

05-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Not real sure call Human Resources or

www.SarasotaSheriff.org (http://www.SarasotaSheriff.org) for further info

05-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Are there openings for patrol or are new hires going to the jail at this time ? I've also heard patrol is short staffed.

05-30-2006, 11:32 PM
i am a new hire and love sso 8)

06-03-2006, 02:15 AM
Are there openings for patrol or are new hires going to the jail at this time ? I've also heard patrol is short staffed.

They are short in both so where you apply. They will work with you. Good lucfk

06-05-2006, 12:27 PM
i am a new hire andi enjoy working for sso great county great job and great money. :lol:

06-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Great! Keep up the morale. It is really needed. Are you working in the jail, or on the road?

06-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Is the department actively hiring for the openings for ROAD PATROL? Thanks

06-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Is the department actively hiring for the openings for ROAD PATROL? ThanksYes, but it's a competitive process. You'll need at least a high school diploma and a pulse.

06-07-2006, 02:30 AM
[quote="potential applicant":94efp3bt]Is the department actively hiring for the openings for ROAD PATROL? ThanksYes, but it's a competitive process. You'll need at least a high school diploma and a pulse.[/quote:94efp3bt]

Unfortunately, it is not that easy for a Florida Certified LEO with lots of years experience to get hired as a Road Patrol Deputy. What gives? They are quoted in the newspaper as needing good candidates. They drag their feet, and do not hire when they can.

06-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Unfortunately, it is not that easy for a Florida Certified LEO with lots of years experience to get hired as a Road Patrol Deputy. What gives? They are quoted in the newspaper as needing good candidates. They drag their feet, and do not hire when they can.It's not what you know, but who you know that gets you hired. Chief Deputy Larry Dunklee just hired his son who has nothing but a high school diploma. Just because you're a certified cop doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but if you're related to someone or are friends with someone, then you're hired!!! Welcome to the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office. :?

06-08-2006, 01:40 AM
Can I buy Dunklee Jr. a drink?

06-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Can I buy Dunklee Jr. a drink?LOL :lol:

Dunklee Jr. doens't have any pull (yet), but if you piss him off, then he'll tell his dad (Chief Dunklee Sr.) will give you a pretty weird look. I can tell that they talk to each other because I pissed off Dunklee Jr. and now Dunklee Sr. is treating me a tad bit differently. :roll:

I like Chief Deputy Dunklee Sr. & Dunklee Jr., but trust me, you don't want to mess with Dunklee Jr. (if you want to go places). Just be extra nice to the kid & you'll be safe. :shock:

06-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Do you know any LEO job where it is any different?

06-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Its politics,,get over it, Dude this is awesome agency dont mind the gomers on here. Good luck Ive worked JAil and now Im Road

06-11-2006, 06:50 PM
How many road deputies do you need to be up to full staff?

06-11-2006, 08:14 PM
How many road deputies do you need to be up to full staff?16 zones + 3 floaters = 19 positions x 3 shifts = a total of 57 positions

06-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Sorry, Thats wayyyy off. Thats at the bare bare minimal staff not even including floaters for all districts. Without giving our numbers on public site for SAFETY issues, Add, Traffic,K-9,Ag,Tac,Crash cars,Floaters in all three districts then you might hit a ball park but do not list our numbers on here please. Its a security thing.

06-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Sorry, Thats wayyyy off. Thats at the bare bare minimal staff not even including floaters for all districts. Without giving our numbers on public site for SAFETY issues, Add, Traffic,K-9,Ag,Tac,Crash cars,Floaters in all three districts then you might hit a ball park but do not list our numbers on here please. Its a security thing.It's public record under the Florida Sunshine Law, so there is nothing to hide. ;)

You're right -- it only included the patrol division and not all the other speciality units like TAC, CIB, SIB, traffic, etc.

06-13-2006, 03:20 PM
[quote="Wanna Bee":asf76lv0]How many road deputies do you need to be up to full staff?16 zones + 3 floaters = 19 positions x 3 shifts = a total of 57 positions[/quote:asf76lv0]

If that is the case, then I have a question. When an applicant who is FDLE certified, and has LEO experience, takes the time to fill out the entire application, and send it in with all of the required documents, shouldn't he at least get a response from SSO?

Does SSO routinely discriminate due to age? (over 55?)

06-13-2006, 04:28 PM
We are so flush with applicants that we have quite a selection to choose from these days. Everything is weighed in when we look at someone as a potential candidate. Of course we don't discriminate based on age. As long as you're able to pass the physical ability test, as well as the other standard requirements, we will look at yours the same way we look at everyone else.

06-13-2006, 04:49 PM
let's see,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 21, 41, 42, 43, 44, 25, 7110, 7120, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 45, 46, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 47, 48, 49
that about 29

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 21, 43, 44, 25, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 45, 46, 3508, 3545, 3546, 7220, 7221, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 47, 48, 49, 3547, 3548, 3549
thats about 33

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 21, 41, 42, 43, 44, 25, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 45, 46, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 47, 48
thats about 26

for a really fat day, that would be about 88.
add in you tac, traffic, etc, and you have got a hell of alot of radio chatter goin on

06-13-2006, 05:09 PM
We are so flush with applicants that we have quite a selection to choose from these days. Everything is weighed in when we look at someone as a potential candidate. Of course we don't discriminate based on age. As long as you're able to pass the physical ability test, as well as the other standard requirements, we will look at yours the same way we look at everyone else.

I can understand that you want the cream of the crop. I still have a question. If you have so many applicants, why do you still have so many vacancies? Why don't you hire the best of the best, and then look at the rest of the rest?

06-13-2006, 09:15 PM
this isn't the military, we don't just want warm bodies to fill uniforms. even if we had five openings and ten applicants, some of them will fail the drug portion, polygraph, pschological, or bpad. the remainder will have to score well enough on the oral board to go onto the background, in which case they may fail that. the end result, maybe 3 or 4 make it, and those 4 we just don't feel comfortable hiring anyway.

say we went ahead and hired those 4. 1 of them is bound to flunk out of fto, and now we've wasted all that time and money on them when we could have waited to begin with.

06-14-2006, 02:50 AM
this isn't the military, we don't just want warm bodies to fill uniforms. even if we had five openings and ten applicants, some of them will fail the drug portion, polygraph, pschological, or bpad. the remainder will have to score well enough on the oral board to go onto the background, in which case they may fail that. the end result, maybe 3 or 4 make it, and those 4 we just don't feel comfortable hiring anyway.

say we went ahead and hired those 4. 1 of them is bound to flunk out of fto, and now we've wasted all that time and money on them when we could have waited to begin with.

They said they wanted to hire me last year, but they had the hiring freeze. I reapplied, and now they are not even starting to process my app. Nobody will give me the courtesy of telling me why.

06-14-2006, 10:02 AM
They said they wanted to hire me last year, but they had the hiring freeze. I reapplied, and now they are not even starting to process my app. Nobody will give me the courtesy of telling me why.That's government in general. Government is cold and indifferent.

Nobody will tell you anything because they don't know. The HR secretaries don't know. The background investigators don't know. Ultimately, it's usually a last minute decision made by the brass (captains and above). Since nobody knows, to include the brass (until the last minute), that's why nobody can give you a straight answer. That is government in general.

I wish I could promise you that the hiring process will get better, but I can't. It's that way everywhere. For those of us that have dealt with governments elsewhere, I'd actually have to say that it's a lot better here. :shock:

06-14-2006, 02:50 PM
If you are short 88 deputies, and have qualified applicants, then you should process those applicants. Do not put the public, and the deputies on the job in jeopardy by not having enough coverage. If you have a wealth of applicants, and they must all be FDLE certified before they can even apply, something is very wrong. Your agency determines the screening process to use. If someone is state certified as a LEO, and passes your screening criteria, that person should be hired. How can you justify not hiring certified, qualified people? People who may cause a problem later on? When I read the newspapers, I can't believe the number of deputy sheriffs and correction officers who are already on the job, and who commit illegal acts. Your screening process is not perfect, because people are not perfect. Some people will make mistakes. Does that mean that you should hire so few a number of officers that you can have a deficit of 88 deputy sheriffs? This is wrong, and this philosophy should be reconsidered.

06-14-2006, 05:16 PM
yep, you said it yourself there, you can't believe the type people who are working for the sheriff's office now. perhaps they are trying to avoid hiring those types of people by screening people more carefully.

rule number one when leaving the academy and looking for a job,,,apply at more than one place. just because you're qualified to work here and want to work here, doesn't by any means mean that you will work here. we also have to have money to pay for the people we want to hire. our budget management is far from perfect, however, if it's ever audited and then fixed, we may be able to afford things like raises, new hires, equipment, etc.

i like how you say that we're 88 people down. nice number, wonder how you came up with that. we may have an opening in patrol here and there, but now where near that crazy number.

06-14-2006, 06:22 PM
If you have a wealth of applicants, and they must all be FDLE certified before they can even apply, something is very wrong. What is FDLE certified??? Is that the same thing as CJS&T certified??? Did the name change?
Your agency determines the screening process to use. If someone is state certified as a LEO, and passes your screening criteria, that person should be hired. How can you justify not hiring certified, qualified people? We hired Dunklee Jr... he's qualified. :) Oops, x22 that -- he's not certified. No worries... we're going to put him through the academy. :) Oops, u mean we hired him over LEO-certified applicants??? How come??? Well, it's because he is the chief deputy's son. :shock:

06-14-2006, 09:30 PM
I hope he becomes your boss someday. Leave the guy alone for chrissakes.

06-14-2006, 10:00 PM
We all whine about morale, sorry guys this is good for civillans here employed who want to transfer to LE, Why are you sore???This is good also..

06-14-2006, 10:09 PM
I hope Dunklee Jr. becomes your boss someday for chrissakes.He will never go anywhere without daddy pulling strings for him. He's helpless on his own.

BTW, who is Chris Sakes? :shock:

06-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Yes, we are understaffed yet management denies it. Yes, morale is almost non-existent yet management denies it. We may not be down 88 in law enforcement, but add to the law enforcement positions, the corrections positions, communications positions, animal services positions and civilian positions and suddenly that number of 88 seems low. Remember that the sheriff does NOT budget for raises. He uses lapse money. Lapse money is the funding from the commission based upon every one of the 1019 +/- positions being filled. When those positions are not filled, that frees up those funds to be used for other things. If the agency were ever 100% staffed then there wouldn't be any pork in the budget. Come to think of pork, the only area where staffing is at 100% is the STAFF! Things that make you go HMMMMMMM.

06-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Yes, we are understaffed yet management denies it. Yes, morale is almost non-existent yet management denies it. We may not be down 88 in law enforcement, but add to the law enforcement positions, the corrections positions, communications positions, animal services positions and civilian positions and suddenly that number of 88 seems low. Remember that the sheriff does NOT budget for raises. He uses lapse money. Lapse money is the funding from the commission based upon every one of the 1019 +/- positions being filled. When those positions are not filled, that frees up those funds to be used for other things. If the agency were ever 100% staffed then there wouldn't be any pork in the budget. Come to think of pork, the only area where staffing is at 100% is the STAFF! Things that make you go HMMMMMMM.ROFLMBO :lol: That was a good read!!! :lol:

06-15-2006, 01:57 PM
What a sorry state the Sarasota Sheriff's Office is in. You have problems with staffing, finances, and morale. I may withdraw my application because there must be better places in the area to work. There are local and State agencies that pay about the same, but management can't be as bad as it is here. Too bad, so sad...............

06-15-2006, 05:02 PM
What a sorry state the Sarasota Sheriff's Office is in. You have problems with staffing, finances, and morale. I may withdraw my application because there must be better places in the area to work. There are local and State agencies that pay about the same, but management can't be as bad as it is here. Too bad, so sad...............

WHy do you want to work in such a screwed up place? Try SPD or NPPD or a State job. This place does not know a good thing when it has it.

06-15-2006, 05:11 PM
WHy do you want to work in such a screwed up place? Try SPD or NPPD or a State job. This place does not know a good thing when it has it.IMO the SSO is an excellent place to work for, even if politics has gotten way out-of-hand lately. I hate that part of it. :? Otherwise, the agency has a lot of potential.

06-16-2006, 02:56 PM
When are they going to start to correct some of the known problems, instead of letting them continue?

06-18-2006, 01:51 AM
What could be better than having someone decide to not hire you although you have the certification as a LEO in Florida, the job experience, and all of the required qualifications?

06-18-2006, 03:05 PM
What could be better than having someone decide to not hire you although you have the certification as a LEO in Florida, the job experience, and all of the required qualifications?

It seems that's the way things go in the SSO

06-18-2006, 03:48 PM
What could be better than having someone decide to not hire you although you have the certification as a LEO in Florida, the job experience, and all of the required qualifications? It seems that's the way things go in the SSORemember when Eddie Palmer was in charge of hiring??? Eeeeeee gad!!!! Every woman that we (he) hired had a knock-out hour-glass figure!!!! What kind of hiring standards did we have???? You figure it out!!!! :shock:

That's just the tip of the iceberg!!!! :shock:

x8
06-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Remember when Eddie Palmer was in charge of hiring??? Eeeeeee gad!!!! Every woman that we (he) hired had a knock-out hour-glass figure!!!! What kind of hiring standards did we have???? You figure it out!!!! :shock:

That's just the tip of the iceberg!!!! :shock:I wasn't here when he was here, but I've heard stories!!! :lol:

I heard that in those days, every PSA was a bombshell that would knock your socks off!!! :shock:

I also heard... uhmmmm... nevermind!!!! :lol:

06-19-2006, 02:11 AM

WHy do you want to work in such a screwed up place? Try SPD or NPPD or a State job. This place does not know a good thing when it has it.

Old timer retire. I can not believe you would spout off at the moth like that to a potenial hiree. Ihave worked at two other Florida Sheriffs Offices and this by far is the best one. You obviously know nothing., Thats just wrong. Prime example why we one or two people running at the sukk can ruin it for the agency. We need all the help we can get just as any other S.O and PD in this state. We have an excellent agency and I am proud to work here. Hmmm lets see

Benefits,Take home care. Got a nice raise last year, tasers,we get our equuiptment almost all the way to our underwear, we have have great back up,equiptment and it does seem to be getting better. Yeah we have it really bad.....Hey go retire...

06-19-2006, 02:15 AM
We really need to bring back college requirements 60 credits minimum and or military/LE experience and raise the pay about three grand more and we will get some qualified applicants. I am actually for a four year degree requirement but I know thatll never happen

06-19-2006, 10:22 AM
We really need to bring back college requirements 60 credits minimum and or military/LE experience and raise the pay about three grand more and we will get some qualified applicants. I am actually for a four year degree requirement but I know thatll never happenThe last time I checked, only 2 or 3% of police/sheriff agencies in the U.S. actually require a Bachelors degree and only 14% require an Associates degree. Those that require a Bachelors degree usually have difficulty finding applicants. Key West used to require a Bachelors degree, but I believe they got rid of it because potential applicants were going everywhere EXCEPT Key West. Requiring a Bachelors degree for this job is stupid because:
1) It eliminates a lot of outstanding applicants and
2) LE just doesn't pay enough (at the entry-level) to attract enough qualified applicants who have Bachelors degrees.

Instead of requiring an Associates degree for entry-level employment, all police academies in Florida should be placed in the community college system, so when an academy-student finishes, he has an Associate of Science degree in criminal justice, along with LE certification. ;)

Thinking outside the box. ;)

06-19-2006, 03:06 PM
How many Road Deputies have been hired Since January 1st, 2005????

06-20-2006, 12:56 AM
a lot but we get a lot of folks that just cant be a cop :(

06-20-2006, 01:00 AM
a lot but we get a lot of folks that just cant be a cop :(What do you mean??? Are they failing out of field training or what? :?

06-27-2006, 12:17 PM
all of the above, acad probs , road probs you name it :roll:

06-27-2006, 07:00 PM
IMO a new road deputy has to be mentored, but that's really not possible once he's cut loose from field training because it's sort of like "every man for himself" once he hits the streets. I've had people who've been with us for over a year ask me basic questions, like, "Should I arrest this guy for DWLS?" when he only has one suspension. I'm not knocking him for asking the question, but I see his question as an indicator that we are having a breakdown in the system. If he were being properly mentored (cared for), then he would have already been provided the right answer long ago.

I know this will never happen here, but one benefit of working in a 2-man car is that the rookie gets more time to learn from the seasoned veteran -- the little things add up over time. But that kind of mentoring doesn't happen here. :(

I really don't know how we can mentor these new guys with the way our system is set up, but that's what they need.

06-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Let's not switch subjects but the only dwls that don't go to jail are the School Attendence, FR's, and Fail to Pay, unless it's a habitual fail to pay. Everyone else goes. Let's see, child support means it was court ordered. DUI means it was court ordered. Prior DWLSR is court ordered. If they get a ticket, how is that getting the message across, they'll just keep drivin and expect the next guy to ticket them too. Unless it's an hour before the shift's over, they'll be takin a ride.

06-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Yer Fillin' dem openin's or ain't ya?

08-12-2006, 09:34 PM
When is the next academy?