PDA

View Full Version : Loaner Cars

Lieutenant X
05-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office
Memorandum

To: All Personnel Date: 05/30/06
Subject: Fleet “Loaner” Vehicles

Recently there has been a shortage of marked “loaner” patrol vehicles available for personnel in need of a vehicle while repairs are being made to assigned vehicles. Several loaner patrol vehicles are currently in the body shop for repairs as a result of traffic crashes. However, a number of loaners are being taken home by individuals who are retaining the vehicles much longer than it takes to service their assigned vehicle. Unfortunately this practice is causing some of the loaner vehicle shortages.

Therefore, effective immediately loaner vehicles (marked or unmarked) shall be returned to Fleet not later than noon the next day following service to an assigned vehicle. Anyone who is unable to return the loaner vehicle within this time frame is required to find transportation elsewhere. Due to critical shortages, retaining loaner vehicles for several days while off duty is prohibited.

It has also become necessary for anyone involved in an avoidable crash while driving an Agency vehicle to find a private means of transportation while the assigned vehicle is being repaired or replaced. The only exception to this policy would be for an operational necessity requiring an assigned vehicle that is approved by the member’s Bureau Commander.

In addition to the above, sworn deputies who sign out a marked loaner for the purpose of working a special detail shall return the vehicle immediately after the detail ends. Loaner vehicles shall no longer be temporarily assigned while a member is awaiting a permanently assigned vehicle.

05-31-2006, 08:58 AM
So if I am off Tues/Wed/Thu and my assigned car is due for service on Wednesday I will submit a TAR for the 2 hours it takes me to drive to fleet and back home. Then on Thur I will put in another TAR for 2 hours to pick up my assigned vehicle. I love this place!!!!

05-31-2006, 03:30 PM
So if I am off Tues/Wed/Thu and my assigned car is due for service on Wednesday I will submit a TAR for the 2 hours it takes me to drive to fleet and back home. Then on Thur I will put in another TAR for 2 hours to pick up my assigned vehicle. I love this place!!!!Well, I think that the memo was obviously written for dayshifters and not for evening or nightshifters. It's easy for a dayshifter to turn in his loaner car by noon the next day. But if you're a a night shifter, then it's really hard to turn in the car by 12 noon the next day because you're still in bed.
Therefore, effective immediately loaner vehicles (marked or unmarked) shall be returned to Fleet not later than noon the next day following service to an assigned vehicle.But I don't think they'll slam a night shifter for not turning in the loaner car by 12 noon.

06-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Its unfortunate another knee jerk reaction instead of disciplining the morons who screwed everyone else as in your fellow deputy.