PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Gee and his quest for IP Addresses

05-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Sheriff,

Why do you go on with this law suit that is a waste of tax payers money? Could the monies better not be used to off set the cost of a higher fuel bill?

Do you not realize that anyone could had posted the messages that you were seeking to gain the IP? You were a detective, and a very good one. I challange you to take a laptop with an air card into any neighborhood in this county and look for an "open" airway. It may be enlighting. Once you do that and you find out that anyone can log on at anytime under someone elses IP, and the fact that you can never prove who was sitting at the keyboard at the time of the entry, this suit is nothing more than a waste of your employees time and our money. Think.........., I could drive up to anyone's home that has a wireless system, maybe even your home, and log in. When you get the IP Address from a court order, your investigators will go to the home whose IP Address was hacked and they will tell you "it was not me". Dead end.
Or the court order shows an employee IP Address was used at his/her home. Now you must ask, is the wireless conection secure? Who was at the keyboard?

Now you know as a former detective that even with an IP address you have nothing. Drop it. Save some money for our taxpayers.

05-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Since I'm confident that the sheriff isn't going to respond to your message, I'll do it.

Why do you bring this subject up again? It's pretty well died out. You must be one of the original offenders and still worried. Getting nervous?

As YOU KNOW, there is more to it than a court case. If the holders of IP addresses are identified then they can become subjects of IA cases in which the procedures are different from court as are the penalties.

And, "it was not me" won't cut it during an IA investigation.

:shock:

05-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Well Fat Lady.......they can not prove a thing unless you are a fool and admit to it.

05-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Since I'm confident that the sheriff isn't going to respond to your message, I'll do it.

Why do you bring this subject up again? It's pretty well died out. You must be one of the original offenders and still worried. Getting nervous?

As YOU KNOW, there is more to it than a court case. If the holders of IP addresses are identified then they can become subjects of IA cases in which the procedures are different from court as are the penalties.

And, "it was not me" won't cut it during an IA investigation.

:shock:

Actually, "it was not me" would cut it just fine. If there are no witnesses to you typing the remark then all they can prove is that it came from your computer....what if your spouse wrote it? You can't arrest the owner of a hit n run vehicle unless you can prove he was the driver so what would make this any different?? If they try to go criminal then you plead the fifth, case over.

05-19-2006, 06:34 PM
And what happens if you run a wireless system that you find out was not secure like you 1st thought it was? Maybe it was someone that did not like you and they drove by your house, connected to your service via your wireless router and had a hat day. :shock: :shock: :shock:

05-19-2006, 08:37 PM
No, it was posted as I think it is a waste of the tax payers money. How much gas could be purchased with what is being spent by legal, when they could be doing other things like researching the Heart Bill so they could see how they could help the employees obtain this vital benefit given to law enforcement by our State Legislators.

:lol:

05-19-2006, 09:33 PM
POLYGRAPH!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

We are talking IA, not court.

Refuse the polygraph and you are a marked man (or woman.)

Promotions?
Good assignments?

The cloud of suspicion carries its own (unacknowledged) penalties.

:?

05-20-2006, 01:19 AM
POLYGRAPH!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

We are talking IA, not court.

Refuse the polygraph and you are a marked man (or woman.)

Promotions?
Good assignments?

The cloud of suspicion carries its own (unacknowledged) penalties.

:?

Oh please. Federal law says they can not force you to take the polygraph. If they use that against you for any reason you will have one great case in Federal Court. You know, the more you type, the more you sound like why LEO's needed CS/SB 1552. I hope the PBA brings that bill back.....to protect us from people like you.

05-20-2006, 06:36 AM
Polygraph? :lol: I passed 2 polygraphs to get hired and I was lying the whole time.....Polygraph? BRING IT ON!

05-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Polygraph? :lol: I passed 2 polygraphs to get hired and I was lying the whole time.....Polygraph? BRING IT ON!

Well now if ur such a good liar, how do we know that you're not lying about lying on the polygraph? BTW, you're pants are on fire.

05-21-2006, 12:08 AM
Anonymous wrote

Oh please. Federal law says they can not force you to take the polygraph. If they use that against you for any reason you will have one great case in Federal Court. You know, the more you type, the more you sound like why LEO's needed CS/SB 1552. I hope the PBA brings that bill back.....to protect us from people like you.

You are clearly one of those people who "just don't get it." :roll:

That you become "marked" by refusing to take a polygraph will never be discussed when you are the one not selected for a promotion; not selected for a great special assignment; not selected for special training; not selected for a speciality team; etc. There will always be a better qualified applicant.

There wil be no basis for a case in Federal Court - which is by the way an incredibly overused threat by people who have no concept of the difficulty of getting a civil case heard in federal court. Wait five years? Ten years? Not out of the question.

The troops don't need protection from "people like me" because I am not threatening - I am giving good advice.

As I said in my first post, why did you even bring up the subject of IP addresses, which was pretty well dead. Probably because you want to see the matter dropped because they are still on YOUR trail. You should have been more discreet. And again, once they identify you, this doesn't involve proving anything in court. It will be an IA case with different rules, and even if you "win" - you lose! :shock:

05-21-2006, 02:32 AM
Why bring it up you asked........no, I am not one that is worried, just the opposite. I just feel that the monies could be better spent as you see, I do not agree with you as I do not believe that IA can prove a thing unless you are foolish enough to admit to it. In today's tech world wireless systems are left open by many. Even in an IA World, a suspicion that one did something is not enough to convict. And in your World you think that people at the SOC do not talk about what goes on behind closed doors......get a clue, they do. And if a case is unfounded or not substantiate and those at the SOC do hold it against the person, than they are no better than the person they are accusing.

Back on subject. Court cases cost thousands and thousands of dollars. Why not spend that on the higher price of fuel? Why not spend the monies the training facility that is getting better year after year? The monies then would not only benefit the Office, but also those we swore to protect.

05-21-2006, 02:36 AM
And one last thing. Those that they want the IP Addresses for are more than likely people that they already would not promote. They are the ones with the poor attitudes, and if they were found out I am sure we would not be surprised who they were.

06-01-2006, 06:59 AM
If you've ever logged on to the off duty jobs from your computer.....then he already has your name and your IP address. But he can't match your IP address to any of the messages posted here.

06-01-2006, 05:25 PM
If you've ever logged on to the off duty jobs from your computer.....then he already has your name and your IP address. But he can't match your IP address to any of the messages posted here.

YET!

Waiting for the 2nd District Court of Appeals.........

:roll:

06-01-2006, 11:35 PM
The second DCA will have just three words to say:

Per curium affirmed

Sysop
06-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Perhaps I can help shed some light on the subject.

We go to the 2nd District Court of Appeals on June 20th for Oral Arguments. I plan on being there to watch Luke Lirot in action.

LEOAFFAIRS.COM(tm) is not fighting on behalf of the deputies to keep from giving IP addresses to Sheriff Gee. We have already made it clear that we have no IP addresses to give up. That, I promise you, will not change simply because we cannot be forced to hand over what we do not have. You can thank our current and past Moderators for that.

If you're wondering why LEOAFFAIRS.COM(tm) is in this fight, spending thousands of dollars a month to do so, I'll tell you; we do not want to be forced to hand over the IP addresses of postings that Sheriff Gee (or another police administrator from any agency) wants in the future that we may still have on our servers. We're fighting for rights in the future and making case law in the process.

I hope to see some of you there, in Lakeland, at the 2nd DCA. Lord willing, we'll prevail again.