PDA

View Full Version : Traffic RADAR

05-13-2006, 09:41 PM
What are your thoughts about using RADAR in our state parks? Why is the issue so controversial, especially when park management wants it done for protection of the visitor and resources?

05-14-2006, 03:40 AM
I DONT THINK ANY OF US CAN FIGURE THAT ONE OUT

05-14-2006, 05:55 AM
You see we are the law enforcement and we do not report to these managers so they should not even have input on what we do.

05-15-2006, 12:54 PM
I run radar in all my parks with no problems from any of the managers. Heck, one of my park managers had to write a letter to get me radar certified.

What does that tell you?

11-08-2006, 03:24 AM
Who do you work for DEP DLE or DEP Parks and Rec???Hmmm thats a good one. Do we cover more than parks..yep why do they call us bureau of Park Patrol?? Why not just patrol... There is some moronic Captain out there who calls his people Florida Park Police on his mailing labels..Im still fiquring that one out.

11-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Probably the main reason you are opposed by your own leadership in enforcing traffic laws within the areas you patrol is that your command staff has never understood that traffic enforcement is an integral component of order maintenance. I am told you have a director who overreacts at every citizen complaint against an officer as though he is going to lose a vote (Mister, you WERE a sheriff--you can't be voted out again) and an assistant director that is clueless about anything except politics.

You have not had support for regular order maintenance or "problem oriented policing" in years. Maybe a new administration can fix this if everyone is honest about the real problems.

11-14-2006, 12:33 AM
Probably the main reason you are opposed by your own leadership in enforcing traffic laws within the areas you patrol is that your command staff has never understood that traffic enforcement is an integral component of order maintenance. I am told you have a director who overreacts at every citizen complaint against an officer as though he is going to lose a vote (Mister, you WERE a sheriff--you can't be voted out again) and an assistant director that is clueless about anything except politics.

You have not had support for regular order maintenance or "problem oriented policing" in years. Maybe a new administration can fix this if everyone is honest about the real problems.

Yes, just think if one of your officers had stopped Timothy McVeigh for the traffic violations that got this terrorist caught. If poor little Timothy had filed a complaint, you probably would have received a reprimand and then been told to turn him loose!

11-14-2006, 11:20 AM
The following "report" I submit for your approval.

Recently while on routine patrol, I encountered a group of FHP troopers performing their assigned duties on a selective enforcement detail. After stopping and greeting the troopers with "nice weather today huh guys?" I was asked very nicely by the district Captain to please join their agency for selective enforcement.

I then very respectfully explained to the FHP Captain that I was unable to assist their agency at this time due to my departmental policy. If this were an actual emergency, I could then assist, but for not non emergency situations. The FHP Captain then began to chuckle along with the other dignified troopers who were present. At this point ant time I began to feel very embarrassed and began to think of an excuse to leave this very embarrassing and degrading situation.

A very kind and thoughtful trooper explained to his Captain that indeed I was correct. This trooper was at one time a DEP Officer and knew the policies of the department. After the detailed explaination by the trooper of DEP policies, the Captain then turned his laughter to a feeling of disbelief. The Captain then apologized to me for his behavior and began to ask why our policy is as such, because our vehicles and our badges say "State of Florida Law Enforcement Officer." After stating that I was never explained the why I don't really have full enforcement powers, the troopers began offering their apologies and condolances.

I then excused myself from the scene because I noticed someone walking away from State Park property with a bag in his hand. Ater I questioned the suspect as to what was in his bag, He stated that he took a "pretty green plant" from the park property. I then immediately placed the suspect in custody and transported to the county jail. After arriving at the county jail, I searched the subject and his possessions and determined the plant in the bag to be an "air potatoe" vine. I then exteneded my sincerest apologies and released the subject from custody.

Boy, I sure wished I could have gone to that Ranger Academy so I could properly ID that plant. :cry: