PDA

View Full Version : Sarasota considers new jail

News Flash
05-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Sarasota considers new jail
SARASOTA COUNTY -- The jail came within 20 prisoners of reaching its current limit of 1,010 on Saturday, a trend that's causing county officials to think about building another facility. County Administrator Jim Ley said to expect to begin talks soon about building a new jail. The county will be looking to engage residents early in a discussion over where to build it. There will be issues about the site regardless of where the jail would be built.Click here (http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060511/NEWS/605110531/1270/NEWS0101) for the full story.

05-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Now maybe they will build one where it should of been all along.

05-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Now maybe they will build a jail where it should of been all along.We were going to build a jail in the Knights Trail Park area, but 5 families complained that it would be within a mile of their homes, so instead, we built it in downtown Sarasota where it's within 5000 homes. :roll:

The upcoming new jail needs to be built in Knights Trail Park because: It's next to I75, which makes it accessable to everyone (SSO, NPPD, SPD, VPD, etc.)[/*:m:lbq94pfp]
It's in the center of the county, which (again) makes it central to everyone. [/*:m:lbq94pfp]
We could close down the jail at the VPD station and move it to Knights Trail Park.[/*:m:lbq94pfp]
We have enough acrage in Knights Trail Park to accommodate future growth, which we need for a boomtown.[/*:m:lbq94pfp]
It can be built with a new SSO "training center."[/*:m:lbq94pfp]

05-15-2006, 12:37 PM
nice idea,, Hey run for Sheriff. Ill vote for you

05-15-2006, 03:07 PM
nice idea,, Hey run for Sheriff. Ill vote for youLOL :lol:

Nope, I'll never run for sheriff, but I (like many others) do care a lot about our agency. It's people like you and me that:
- Make this a better (or worse) place
- Are a part of the problem (or solution) :shock:

I've worked at other agencies and you can bet your bottom dollar that the Sarasota Sheriff's Office is an abolutely dynamite place to be!!! :mrgreen:

The other cop jobs that I had were pretty bad. :roll: Have you noticed that almost everybody who leaves eventually comes back??? Gee I wonder why??? :lol:

05-17-2006, 01:42 AM
I too have worked for other S.O.s so I can relate to you. We have a very good agency

05-17-2006, 02:54 AM
Now maybe they will build a jail where it should of been all along.We were going to build a jail in the Knights Trail Park area, but 5 families complained that it would be within a mile of their homes, so instead, we built it in downtown Sarasota where it's within 5000 homes. :roll:

The upcoming new jail needs to be built in Knights Trail Park because: It's next to I75, which makes it accessable to everyone (SSO, NPPD, SPD, VPD, etc.)[/*:m:1rft4ue7]
It's in the center of the county, which (again) makes it central to everyone. [/*:m:1rft4ue7]
We could close down the jail at the VPD station and move it to Knights Trail Park.[/*:m:1rft4ue7]
We have enough acrage in Knights Trail Park to accommodate future growth, which we need for a boomtown.[/*:m:1rft4ue7]
It can be built with a new SSO "training center."[/*:m:1rft4ue7]

It would be nice to include a new comm center out there too. For one, it would be central to everyone and more importantly it would be safer during hurricanes than in downtown Sarasota.

07-12-2008, 01:39 AM
A new jail will never be built under this commission. They are too busy courting baseball players and not concerned with the needs of the community and common citizen. If they are not careful our crime rate will sneak up and bite then after one of "da sox" becomes the next javon walker!

07-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Baseball? It never has worked and never will. Besides Ft. Myers has a way cooler stadium plan and there are better looking ladies down there for the palyers to hook up with. Next!

Retired n Luvin it
07-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Yep~~ Ask any rookie and they will tell you that a central location near I 75 makes sense.

The D1 jail should be utilized for those detainees appearing in court or awaiting trial.. plus overnight stays.. sentenced prisoners need to go to the big house.. a farm setting similar to MSO..

07-13-2008, 12:17 PM
The Knight's Trail facility was looked at as new location for a new Comm Center in conjuction with a new Fire Dept training facility. I saw the plans with my own eyes. However that area was discovered to be a low lying area and not feasable. We would have to elevate all the entry roads as well. As a South County person I would have loved that location. I think that area might get nixed for a Jail facility for the same reasons.

07-13-2008, 12:25 PM
The Knight's Trail facility was looked at as new location for a new Comm Center in conjuction with a new Fire Dept training facility. I saw the plans with my own eyes. However that area was discovered to be a low lying area and not feasable. We would have to elevate all the entry roads as well. As a South County person I would have loved that location. I think that area might get nixed for a Jail facility for the same reasons.
Wow, I didn't know it was a low laying area! Sometimes you don't know those things until heavy rains come -- which might be once every 3 years -- and then you suddenly discover that all the roads are under water -- and if the roads are under water during a hurricane, then it's a BAD SPOT to put our "central operations center" there! Thanks for sharing that sig 14 -- I didn't know it was low laying!!!!

Hummmmmmmm so where else could the county put a new jail and a "central SSO"? It was suggested that we could have a new SSO with the new EOC HQ on Cattlemen Road (not a new jail, but just a new SSO).

Retired n Luvin it
07-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Ah ~` This just in~~ News Flash !!

You live on a sand bar~~ every where in Florida is in danger of flooding

The highest elevation in Sarasota county is about 46 feet~~ Most homes sit in the 20-22 foot range

Now we'll turn to our Doppler Radar~~ Looks Like ......

07-14-2008, 05:14 PM
The county needs to pick the right place for this and build it. Yes someone will whine and complain whre it is but thats part of government work, making unpopular decisions.

07-15-2008, 01:01 PM
While they are buiding it. Let the employees fill out county applications absorb them and issue out new uniforms Sarasota County Jail Department of Corrections. That way the Sheriff can focus on Law Enforcement and stop worrying about all the crap int his jail. its a breeding ground of corruption. Let Jim Ley deal with it. They can HIRE not elect a Chief of Operations and knock yourselves out.

http://www.orangecountyfl.net/cms/DEPT/correct/default.htm?REDID={A89F878B-E267-4F73-AF81-FA65A0F50867}

07-17-2008, 03:43 AM
well said!