PDA

View Full Version : Busted! Sarasota Herald Tribune

05-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Sarasota Herald-Trib’s Tom Lyons bashes LEOaffairs: http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs. ... /605110424 (http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060511/COLUMNIST36/605110424)

Newsflash for Tom Lyons: Janet Weaver, former Exec. Editor of the Sarasota Herald-Tribune was arrested by Tampa police Tuesday for drunk driving.
:lol:

05-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Sheesh I'm sorry that I have to write so many bad articles about you guys, I mean 1. I have to sell papers, 2. I really should appreciate the fact that you guys/girls protect me while I sleep, 3. Although any one of you could do my job and bash others for a living, I could never do your job no matter how ****y I think I am. But anyways, I digress.

By the way, do you think I should just shave my head, or should I have a hair transplant using the hairs of my back and buttocks?

Oh yeah...Red on the head...Fire in the hole!!!

05-11-2006, 01:34 PM
You average citizens shouldn't get the wrong impression. You won't get the same treatment if you do the same. You will go to the slammer.Mannnnnnn I just read the article and all I can say is OUCH!!! :shock:

All-in-all, the article is really quite remarkable and is very well written and Tom Lyons made a lot of valid points. :shock:

The double standard is so deeply ingrained in some law officers that no one in that conversation even thought to try to justify their belief that cops should be excused for actions that get others arrested. That principle is as taken for granted as gravity.Think of it as a "professional courtsey." Why do cops give "professional courtesies" to other cops for minor incidents??? Because we may have to rely on them as back-up when we are in a fight for our lives. You may disagree with that point-of-view, but we don't want to piss off someone who could save our life in the future.

We also tend to be lenient on doctors because they might be in a position to save our lives. If I'm shot and if a doctor is going to be cutting me open to save my life, then I don't want him to remember me as the arse hole who wrote him a ticket (or did whatever to him). Lots of times, people feel they didn't deserve that ticket or that arrest -- and if we can let it slide for people who might be saving our lives in the future -- then we try to be extra nice to them -- and that means giving professional courtesies for the smaller infractions or misdemeanors.

That's just the way it is. It is on our cop culture. If you're in a position to save my life, then I don't want to piss you off. Ever. :?

05-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Now what a few individuals type on these boards is being taken as the word of the majority and gives the press ammunition to fire at all of law enforcement.

As for the article about the SPD Lt. and the sig-51, I hope another LEO has enough respect never puts me in that situation where I have to do my job. All LEO’s want respect, but have to give respect to get it in return from me.
:?

05-11-2006, 04:17 PM
As much as I do not like a lot of his articles, I must say he wasnt far from the truth. The guy is unnder Internal Affairs investigation now and his guns and badge seized so there is more too follow Im sure. (Irony hes former IA himself) Just the same the city cop needs to apologize to those deputies for putting them in that situation.

Tom Lions was right in one aspect. We put our hands on someone they are going to jail (usually except for this obviously noted). We see the outcome. Sorry with all those people watching in the public eye. I would of been pissed that I had to do it but he would be going in my car and the Watch commander would have been called, that way its off my shoulders. This guy was a Lieutenant manangement level, He should know better- Rookie 101 Boos and women will get your badge in a heart beat. It was a dress geez who cares just go with it.

If I was there and uniform cop ID me I would who what where why and when and I would shut up about but then again I wouldnt draw attention to myself in a bar like so many people this cop has probly dealt with as well.

Obviously some people on here show the maturity level and think they are way above the law. Traffic Infractions are one thing but actual criminal breaking statues with victims and wittnesses, sorry guys I have a family and a career. Now at the very least this city cop now has a false imprisonment accusation and you know what he will most likely win.

We might all dislike Tom Lions articles and I know I do but I can say I did fight for freedom so he can post these freedom of speech & press articles and most of all sell those papers

05-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Tom Lyons, pick on your own. F'rinstance, your drunken old boss Janet Weaver was getting wasted in a Tampa bar with "a friend from Sarasota." Who would that be? Another law-breaking hypocrite from the Sarasota Herald Tribune?

05-11-2006, 09:55 PM
I like Tom Lyons articles... but this one was definately written from the citizens point-of-view. If you put yourself in the citizens shoes, then you can understand this most recent article by Tom Lyons. In that respect, Lyons hit the nail on the head. If a citizen were to do what that SPD lieutenant did, they would definately have "taken the ride" downtown to our jail. There are no ifs, ands or buts about that. Not even a maybe. :shock:

05-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Well, we now you that you read the postings Tom, so I will ask you, where is your editorial on Janet Weaver? Where was even the article on her DUI? Hmm, or was that perhaps a professional courtesy?

Where was the article on you when you were cited for an unregistered vehicle (a crime in Florida)?

Hang tough ole Tom, well still respond if you need us.

05-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Since the Sarasota Herald Tribune didn't write a timely article on the arrest of their pal/former boss, you can view her booking report at Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office:

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/pub/default ... ne/sname01 (http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/pub/default.asp?/Online/sname01)

Just enter her name (Janet Shadden Weaver) or booking #06030833. :wink:

She's got 3 kids at home, one is a year old. So what was baby's momma doing out at 12:30 a.m., besides getting a snoot full?

05-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Quote from an old article about SHT: "At the Sarasota Herald-Tribune, publisher Diane McFarlin and executive editor Janet Weaver exchange e-mail and phone messages daily, and visit each other when they can." Were they pub crawling the night Janet got arrested for DUI? :?: :P :?: Izzat why SHT didn't write a story?

05-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Tom,
It's ok, you can post here. You obviously are an active participant anyway so, why not? Since you are published in the SHT, maybe try to read the post with more of an open mind. You overlooked or ignored a couple of posts, although they weren't very direct, that suggested that cops shouldn't
expect special treatment. Oh well, you don't bother me so much. This is the USA afterall. :idea:

05-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Bet we don't read nothing about this in the old Herald Tribune? Old Tom sure was fast to slam our guys when they had a DUI, even some editorials. But what about the HErald Tribune staff??? Come on Tom, no professional courtesies.

Lets see a nice big SUnday Spread on ole drunk Janet's night out with Diane!

05-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Man that is so true! It must be nice to lecture everyone about the "Fraternity" of law enforcement officers, when there is a clear brotherhood among the SHT. Get out from behind your desk hypocrite!

05-12-2006, 09:11 PM
When we call lyons a filthy little turd, we can rest assured that hes reading it!!! :lol:

05-12-2006, 09:23 PM
ex-SHT employee Janet Weaver (Tom Lyons' pal) is being discussed on the Tampa Trib's blog:
http://tboblogs.com/index.php/newswire/ ... er_arrest/ (http://tboblogs.com/index.php/newswire/comments/weaver_arrest/)
Phony journalists. They slam drunk drivers all the time, except when it's one of their own, right Tom? :x

05-12-2006, 09:52 PM
This topic of arresting fellow LEO's keeps coming up on this site...now it's in the paper....I would just like to point out to the public that they can feel safe in Sarasota....we do arrest people who commit crimes....EVEN if they are LEO.....now some people may not approve of arresting coworkers ...thats their right to have their own opinion...but obviously the majority beleives that the law applies to EVERYONE or we wouldn't have this conversation constanly.....