PDA

View Full Version : Computers?

05-04-2006, 03:48 AM
I know that this is getting redundant, but has anyone heard the latest on the computer situation?

I know that we were tentatively scheduled to be getting the docking in our cars as of march or april...obviously that did not happen. It seems as though the cheif was keeping us up to date pretty regularly when the time frame was set, but as that time frame has passed it seems as though nothing was being said. No reasons given for the delay...again.

Granted, purchasing and installing a computer system in every car is a big undertaking. But come on...does it really take 2 years to find a product and come to an agreement?

You know, I am not upset that we dont have computers. the fact is, i have been trained to work without them and I feel as though I do my job without a computer better than a lot of officers with one. A computer is a luxury, not a neccessity. With that said, what does upset me ALOT is that I feel as though we are being treated with disrespect. We are being given empty promises by our chief. We are told a date. That date passes. We are told another date. That date passes. This pattern goes on and on....and sadly I feel as though it is going to continue for a while.

If we were told 2 years ago that we would be getting computers installed in the summer of '06, I feel as though we would all be happy with that. We may be unhappy that the date seems far away, but at least we can expect something when that date comes. As of right now, I dont know what to think. Honestly, I dont expect anything when the projected time frame comes. Wait...let me re-phrase that...I didn't expect anything when the projected time frame came...and nothing came.

I love this department, and I wouldnt leave if the cheif came and told me that we were not getting computers at all, but I honestly feel that we are being decieved. i feel that we are being given dates that, at best, are best case scenarios. I feel that we are being given these empty promises to keep everyone happy...and then when that date comes, we recieve another (more assuring) promise. Well, I for one and dissapointed in my department with this issue. It really is a small issue, but I feel as though it has uncovered a larger more important flaw in our upper-command...a lack of respect.

The city of Largo has to realize that we are falling way behind in respect to the things that this department can offer to its employees. Most of these things are luxuries..but you know what, luxuries are what job-seekers look at when they are filling out applications. I, for one, would like to see more qaulity applicants come here because they want to. Not because the departments with take home cars and computers are so filled with applicants that they couldnt get a job. The city of Largo cannot BS their way out of this issue.

***PS- I am a Largo officer and I have voiced an issue that I have with the most respect that I could. I request that any responses be given in the same fashion. [/code]

05-04-2006, 07:42 AM
You make it readily apparent that you have never worked for any government entity. Everything takes time, whats the rush? This agency has taken this long to get them, whats a couple of months. If you haven't been following things, everything has been going through numerous votes with the city commission and so far, to my knowlege, everthing has passed. Be patient, computers aren't going to make or break us. Like you mentioned, most of us do a pretty good job without the computers as it is. Keep up the hard work and eventually the computers will come. Not to sound overly optimistic, but have you seen the payscales for agencies in this county? We aren't that bad off. The money could always be better, however that said I'll take my paycheck with no computer over a computer with some of the other paychecks being handed out at other agencies. Keep your chin up

05-04-2006, 11:16 AM
By my name, it is obvious that I have nothing to gain by posting this. I just wanted to address the original poster's comments....

The higher you go in any government agency, the more you will realize that the man or woman in charge has many people to answer to. They are being pulled in many different directions by people who have different opinions and agendas regarding a certain topic.

Dont think for a second that the chief laughs to himself in his office and thinks "Well, I know we will never get the computers by the end of this year, but I'm going to tell them that we are anyway....just to mess with them." He is given timeframes, and relays that information to you with good faith. I don't see that as disrespect. His only other option is to not address the computer issue at all, and then you would be on here saying how your are disrespected for not having your concerns and wants addressed.

The bottom line.....you are correct....computers are a luxury...and until the city commission is 100% convinced that you cannot effectively do your job without them (which is not true), the issue will never receive the priority you would like it to. But give the chief a break.....yes, he is the head of the agency, but it is obvious that he does not make all of the decisions regarding the budget and equipment alone. There are many constraints on him, and he is doing the best that he can.

Take the advice from the first reply....things are pretty good there, look at the big picture, and don't put too much emphasis on one piece of equipment. Take care all.....

05-13-2006, 08:08 PM
As a city of Largo citizen, I think you guys deserve alot more than you get. I am sure that you all are swamped with call after call and yet get through it day after day. You all do deserve the latest technology, not only to help you out, but mostly to keep you all safe and going home at the end of your shift every day/night. I am sure that the computers in your cars you expedite the information to and from and let you know what you have when you roll up on it. Is there any way to the help out as a citizen? I for one,(which I am sure Im not by myself) would gladly pay a little more on taxes to do something or get you all some equipment to keep you and us safe and give you what you need to do your job more efficiently and make things easier on you too. Hopefully they will come soon for you all. I think it is a great idea to have them in your cars as another tool for you all of LPD. You all do a great job for the size of your agency, and I know if I ever wanted to become a police officer, I would love to work for/with you all. Keep up the good job!

Ten6Niner
05-14-2006, 12:26 PM
They already raised your taxes about three years ago with computers in the police cars as a specific reason why. They also got a matching grant after that for this project.

Also, LPD tested computers in their cars about 8 years ago and could have done it then.

When Emperor Stanton decides that LPD computers will somehow directly improve his chances at Central Pinellas domination, he will bestow the use of technology that WILL improve the service provided to citizens (Yes, the officers are doing the very best they can do, but the access to immediate information at their fingertips will make them BETTER).

Until then, don't hold your breath.

05-18-2006, 03:30 AM
Yes, we were promised computers and said they would be in the car next year. Can you can guess what year that was!!!
1996. Staton is our leader and he will take care of us and make sure we are well taken care of

10-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Any current news about this computer now that we are in Oct.??

10-10-2006, 12:25 AM
For those of you not keeping up.....the folks upstairs are trying to figure out what cars are getting the computers first. The parts are coming in and I think the instalations start this week.

LEO Affairs is not the place to ask about this stuff. Any informed officer or sergeant should know. If there are still questions, just walk up to OPS and ask Jeff. He is in charge of the project now.

Glad to see that there has not been any bashing in this string so far :)

10-10-2006, 03:23 AM
you guys are real progressive......dont even have lap tops for gods sake,,, and u question why pcso has not motors?

10-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Well alas, the computer install has begun. Lets see how well these things work once installed.

10-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Hey Bruce,

Tell me one Sgt. that knows what the heck is going on with the computers? Oh yeah, they will be installed but when will they be fully operational? OPS refuses to give Dispatch the additional help to put all the PD2 info into the new system and also help with the mapping. Why do you think Bill quit?

Here is an idea, how bout send the POP squad up there to speed things along. Doesn't hurt staffing and they already work days. But excuse me for thinking outside of the box. I'm sure I will be punished for it.