PDA

View Full Version : Privacy Question

05-02-2006, 04:14 AM
Hello all, does anyone out there have their information secured on the tax appraiser's website? I live in Sarasota and locked up a guy the other day who has a prior history of tracking down LEO's through the county websites. Here's my problem ... I went to the appraiser's office in Venice and filled out a form ... I went to the tax appraisers website and my address was removed but my land P.I.D. was still there! So I just went into GIS and there popped a pretty pic of my house. Has anyone else encountered this problem and got it resolved :?:

05-02-2006, 09:49 PM
YEs if you call down there and make a complaint they will remove it. I had the same problem years ago but it is easily removed upon a phone call to a supervisor.

NewspaperGuy
06-04-2006, 04:29 AM
In looking into this very topic in North Port, the bigger issue is the private databases that can get your information and sell it.

I know several North Port officers have tied in vain to have their information removed.

As a journalist and former police officer myself, I understand the need to protect your family as well as the need for the public to know.

Example, I get a tip about a dirty cop, who makes $30K a year, but owns $4 million in property.

Public records says I have the right to that information, but with exemptions. As it should be.

Also, public records law says the custodian of the record must redact personal information, except in certian situations, it is up to the police officer to tell them they need to redact your information.

A problem will occur if you live in one county, work in another, and own property in other counties. You will need to contact each county to remove or redact your information.

I looking into why these agencies and FDLE are not getting together. FDLE has a database of officers, and the Tax Collector can scrub their online database with this.

How do you feel about this?

Do any of you have other suggestions on protecting your personal information?

George McGinn
Police Reporter
The North Port Sun
(941) 429-3000
gmcginn@sun-herald.com

06-04-2006, 09:41 AM
I am looking into why these agencies and FDLE are not getting together. FDLE has a database of officers, and the Tax Collector can scrub their online database with this.

How do you feel about this?

George McGinn
Police Reporter
The North Port Sun
(941) 429-3000
gmcginn@sun-herald.comFDLE's database is a statewide list of sworn officers and each county probably wouldn't want to peruse a gigantic statewide list, but on the other hand, it would be an effective way of keeping officers' personal information off public lists. However, I don't think it would fly without some sort of legislative mandate for counties to use the comprehensive FDLE list of officers. However, it's a good idea that I hadn't thought of.

06-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Hello all, does anyone out there have their information secured on the tax appraiser's website? I live in Sarasota and locked up a guy the other day who has a prior history of tracking down LEO's through the county websites. Here's my problem ... I went to the appraiser's office in Venice and filled out a form ... I went to the tax appraisers website and my address was removed but my land P.I.D. was still there! So I just went into GIS and there popped a pretty pic of my house. Has anyone else encountered this problem and got it resolved :?:are you with probation in the state?

06-04-2006, 04:30 PM
I don't worry about it because there will always be a way to find us. I just make sure my dogs and guns are always ready to greet a dirtbag who trys to introduce himself on my property.