PDA

View Full Version : SSO/LEO College Requirement ???

SSO Employee
04-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Should the SSO have a college requirement to become an entry-level LEO??? :shock:

Yes? No? Maybe??? Exactly how much should be required??? :?

04-20-2006, 05:45 PM
We got an email asking why someone can't vote. They can, but they'll have to register first. Only registered members have the ability to create polls (and to vote in polls). If unregistered people could vote, then it would be a joke because one person could vote over and over.

Just FYI

04-20-2006, 07:19 PM
I have had guys between the ages of 19 and 24 walk up to me every day this week to ask me about how they can get hired at the SSO. One guy said that he heard we were 40 people down. All of them asked similar questions:

What are the qualifications?
How long is the academy?
What do I have to do to get hired?
Etc...

There is a lot of interest out there in law enforcement. Anybody who tells you that young men aren't interested in becoming cops -- well, that's just not true!!! Now that we've done away with the college requirement, we might be able to hire to qualified applicants with clean records. You don't need a college degree to do this job.

Anyways, I'm amazed at how many guys have been walking up to me and asking me how they can get hired. It's like it's happening all at once.

Sergeant X
04-20-2006, 08:41 PM
If you had added a "not sure" to your poll, then that's what I would have clicked on. I'm really not sure about this entire issue.

An Associates degree should definately be required for entry-level supervisory prormotions and a Bachelors degree for staff promotions. It's just too easy nowadays to get a degree because there are so many non-traditional options out there for officers. It also shows initiative and helps to thin-out the herd.

FMJ_50
04-20-2006, 09:23 PM
I say at least some college. That shows some initiative on behald of the aplicant but does not eliminate everyone who does not have a degree.

SSO Employee
05-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Should the SSO have a college requirement to become an entry-level LEO??? :shock:

Yes? No? Maybe??? Exactly how much should be required??? :?Guess I'll answer my own question. :lol:

No, college should not be required, but the other requirements should be kept high. If someone was an "A" and "B" student in high school... and was a football player... and served a couple of years in the military... and if everything else looks good... then we should hire him. Disqualifying good applicants just because they don't have college is stupid. :roll:

05-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Here is what JSO pays for having an education:JSO's Education Incentives

30 College Credit Hours with 12 semester hours of Police science (2.0 GPA or better) - $50.00 Monthly
[/*:m:3vk5q0rm]
A.A./A.S. Degree (or Junior at a 4 year University) with 18 semester hours of police science (2.0 GPA or better) - $100.00 Monthly
Bachelor of Arts/Science Degree with 18 semester hours of police science (2.0 GPA or better) - $150.00 Monthly
Master of Arts/Science Degree with 18 semester hours of police science - $200.00 Monthly [/*:m:3vk5q0rm]JSO is very progressive. If you're interesting in applying, then click here (http://www.coj.net/Departments/Sheriffs+Office/Personnel+and+Professional+Standards/Personnel/Police+Recruitment.htm). :mrgreen:

05-28-2006, 08:10 PM
I have had guys between the ages of 19 and 24 walk up to me every day this week to ask me about how they can get hired at the SSO. One guy said that he heard we were 40 people down. All of them asked similar questions:

What are the qualifications?
How long is the academy?
What do I have to do to get hired?
Etc...

There is a lot of interest out there in law enforcement. Anybody who tells you that young men aren't interested in becoming cops -- well, that's just not true!!! Now that we've done away with the college requirement, we might be able to hire to qualified applicants with clean records. You don't need a college degree to do this job.
YOU could not be more WRONG. This isnt a trade it is a career and in Governemnt work. College is required. We do not need 19 yoa . The maturity level is a lot different than when we were younger. I believe a two year degree or minimum 2 years military. You do the math. Thatll put the person with life experience over the age of 21.

Corrections and Comm is one thing but we are affecting lives via arrest,jail,prison,etc and have the potential to take a life. We need Educated and Qualified people and I am afraid the S.O has lost the edge on being the cream of the crop anymore and we need to get it back.

05-28-2006, 08:14 PM
If you had added a "not sure" to your poll, then that's what I would have clicked on. I'm really not sure about this entire issue.

An Associates degree should definately be required for entry-level supervisory prormotions and a Bachelors degree for staff promotions. It's just too easy nowadays to get a degree because there are so many non-traditional options out there for officers. It also shows initiative and helps to thin-out the herd.

It should be a Bachelors to come aboard or 4 years of military with 2 years college, then we might get some talent now a days and a Masters for Staff positions. That way it would narrow the heavy top end effect. This job has too many kids with no education running around. Weve lost the elite position that we had a long time ago.

05-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Here is what JSO pays for having an education:JSO's Education Incentives

30 College Credit Hours with 12 semester hours of Police science (2.0 GPA or better) - $50.00 Monthly
[/*:m:32zk1so1]
A.A./A.S. Degree (or Junior at a 4 year University) with 18 semester hours of police science (2.0 GPA or better) - $100.00 Monthly
Bachelor of Arts/Science Degree with 18 semester hours of police science (2.0 GPA or better) - $150.00 Monthly
Master of Arts/Science Degree with 18 semester hours of police science - $200.00 Monthly [/*:m:32zk1so1]JSO is very progressive. If you're interesting in applying, then click here (http://www.coj.net/Departments/Sheriffs+Office/Personnel+and+Professional+Standards/Personnel/Police+Recruitment.htm). :mrgreen:

I agree. JSO is an excellent agency as that is my home town and If I wasnt so far into our FRS I would of gone back home long ago. I wish our agency would adopt their education requirements. Its a nice idea and we definitely have the tax base and population to match Jacksonville in some aspects anyway.

05-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Just realize this...None of the local agencies require college. Venice PD was the last one and they just dropped their college requirement. Look around.

05-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Just realize this...None of the local agencies require college. Venice PD was the last one and they just dropped their college requirement. Look around.JSO is now requiring a Bachelors degree for entry-level employment to be a LEO (for those without LE or military experience). I don't see how they can fill their ranks with that kind of a requirement. :shock:

05-30-2006, 01:13 AM
Just realize this...None of the local agencies require college. Venice PD was the last one and they just dropped their college requirement. Look around.JSO is now requiring a Bachelors degree for entry-level employment to be a LEO (for those without LE or military experience). I don't see how they can fill their ranks with that kind of a requirement. :shock:

They offer decent starting pay and its an excellent agency. With those requirements. Yo can pick and choose not to mention, their recruitors are actually COPS and they recruit not with a cork board and a couple of brochures.

Someone wrote look around at the local agencies. Exactly. We should have college credits. If we recruit better and have better benefits then we can afford to have those requirements. In the end it means more quality applicants with a selection.

06-19-2006, 04:11 PM
I am in agreement w/ SARG X, there are a lot of options out there! If you ever show any interest in obtaining a higher education and someone asks you why or tells you that you don't need it, ask them if they have a degree.

06-19-2006, 05:32 PM
We really need to bring back college requirements 60 credits minimum and or military/LE experience and raise the pay about three grand more and we will get some qualified applicants. I am actually for a four year degree requirement but I know thatll never happenThe last time I checked, only 2 or 3% of police/sheriff agencies in the U.S. actually require a Bachelors degree and only 14% require an Associates degree. Those that require a Bachelors degree usually have difficulty finding applicants. Key West used to require a Bachelors degree, but I believe they got rid of it because potential applicants were going everywhere EXCEPT Key West. Requiring a Bachelors degree for this job is stupid because:
1) It eliminates a lot of outstanding applicants and
2) LE just doesn't pay enough (at the entry-level) to attract enough qualified applicants who have Bachelors degrees.

Instead of requiring an Associates degree for entry-level employment, all police academies in Florida should be placed in the community college system, so when an academy-student finishes, he has an Associate of Science degree in criminal justice, along with LE certification. ;)

Thinking outside the box. ;)

06-20-2006, 02:21 AM
Its funny but we are starting more than Hillsborough SO and Jacksonville SO, Not really sure what we need to do

06-20-2006, 05:06 AM
I have 4 years of military experience and not the sitting behind the desk kind of service, I'm talking 11B with my good Uncle Sam as my travel agent. When I got out of the Army the SSO told me sorry but I needed College to be a deputy. Who would you rather have watching your back on the street? A 21yoa Ex-Soldier with combat experience or a 19yoa college boy that never left the city. It's your ass you make the call.

I am civilian with 29 credit hours of college and over 10 years at the SSO so I am in too deep to try and become a deputy at this stage of life. Who can afford the pay cut to start over now that we changed the standards.

While College doesn't necessarily make you a better person or a more qualified applicant, it does help you on a personal level. We should pay more if you have a degree but it shouldn't be an entry requirement.

06-20-2006, 12:05 PM
College makes a good officer better, but it won't make a bad applicant a good officer. :shock:

08-26-2006, 03:50 PM
College really doesn't make a better cop or make you a better qualified applicant. We must rely on our hiring process to do that.Education is just one piece of the puzzle that we have to look at, but it's definately not a panacea (like some people make it out to be). College makes a good officer better, but it will never turn a crummy applicant into a good officer. :shock:

I'm pro-college, but it should not be a requirement to get hired on as an entry-level patrol officer. Let's look at the "whole person" concept -- and if we like what we see, then we can hire them, even if they don't have any college.

08-29-2006, 07:54 PM
If we want better people here well have to raise the pay and bring back education requirements. At one time we were the cream of the crop but now weve been well surpassed.

This isnt a trade. Its more than that and you should have college degrees behind you. If not sign a statement saying youll have it in three years or see ya. Maybe twenty years ago I would agree with you but sorry. With todays society and legal system. You need to have a background when you come in the door and education and or military are the backings.

I can guarantee with those pre requisites you get better and quality applicants.

We should also pay for experienced officers from other agencies and give bonuses to hire and pay for a percentage for moving cost.